16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
The Supra before the Zupra, was related to Lexus SC, so finally more a GT.
but the SC came with NA 3L 2jz and 4L 1uz, the engines are more gt oriented vs supra got a turbo 2jz because of its sports car intent. But yes supra can be looked at as a gt car but its main focus is performance.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
but the SC came with NA 3L 2jz and 4L 1uz, the engines are more gt oriented vs supra got a turbo 2jz because of its sports car intent. But yes supra can be looked at as a gt car but its main focus is performance.
The Crown Sports concept (red SUV) looks sport oriented (Porsche Macan, Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Maserati Grecal, BMW X3/X4 rival).

If Crown is the premium ICEV brand, Lexus premium BEV brand, it makes sense.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The Crown Sports concept (red SUV) looks sport oriented (Porsche Macan, Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Maserati Grecal, BMW X3/X4 rival).

Interesting idea. so will the Venza become a crown as well?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

That's what I said back rewind an article before published at the beginning of the year

1) crown will take the role of GS/LS and their SUVs from now on

2) crown will be sport oriented with different sizes and body styles

3) Macan and Cayenne rivals shall be waiting

4) all the premium Toyota over the Corolla shall wear the crown logo

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Most toyota cars are named after crown ie.
-Corona is latin for crown
-Corolla means crown of flowers
-Camry means little crown (not so little anymore)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota would be wise to not try to add "Crown" as a sub brand in North America, but instead fill 1-2 holes in the lineup with Crown-named models that are premium, much like the US-bound Crown crossover. It's almost like... Toyota could finally build their version of the RX under the "Crown" name too, you know? 😉

Toyota has a lot of premium products in this market that are well established with strong name recognition and I think "Crown" with any of those would be confusing.

Venza --> Crown Venza?
4Runner --> Crown 4Runner?
Highlander --> Crown Highlander?
Grand Highlander --> Crown Grand Highlander?
Sequoia --> Crown Sequoia?
Land Cruiser return --> Crown Land Cruiser?
Tacoma --> Crown Tacoma?
Tundra --> Crown Tundra?
Supra --> Crown Supra?

Toyota's strategy of "Limited -- XSE -- Platinum -- Capstone" trims on existing models is far more profitable than having to redesign sheetmetal to try to accommodate a premium sub brand based on those models.

Also, let's be honest: Lexus isn't strong enough at the moment to be some sort of super-premium BEV brand when most of their lineup is related to Toyota products. ES/NX/RX is the core and it sounds like that's the exact space some of you are thinking "Crown" will occupy? Not a good idea.

I can see a case for a Crown car (crossover) and a Crown CUV (Crown Sport) but Toyota already has a fairly "premium mainstream" brand here, and I just see "Crown" causing confusion beyond that if it's used for anything other than individual, unique models.

Reactions: RAL

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
All the info I have is that the red SUV will be available with the same engine of RX and crossover same as the yellow, the coupe is nearly 100% confirmed and a FR CUV will be added

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
All the info I have is that the red SUV will be available with the same engine of RX and crossover same as the yellow, the coupe is nearly 100% confirmed and a FR CUV will be added
I thought the Crown Sport was an ev? They showed it off during their EV December announcement, and it would make sense to have a Crown ev model.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
It’s awesome as soon as you’ve started to establish yourself as a brand separate from Toyota, you bring in this and more badge jobs to redilute all the progress you have made.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
I thought the Crown Sport was an ev? They showed it off during their EV December announcement, and it would make sense to have a Crown ev model.
It's a flexible platform besides that the crown sport was added much later to the lineup maybe start of this year

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Another thing to note the height of crown sport is only 40 mm higher than a 2nd generation toyota yaris hatchback although 60mm to the current yaris hatchback

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Soon we will know everything another non related news the 1.6T found in GR Yaris and GR Corolla will be mated with 8 DAT

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
According to best car initial plan for crown sedan was to share fr platform with the mazda 6 however due to some delays in development and issues it was quickly scrapped but toyota still intends to use the i6 engine in it's cars and crown being the obvious choice

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
According to best car initial plan for crown sedan was to share fr platform with the mazda 6 however due to some delays in development and issues it was quickly scrapped but toyota still intends to use the i6 engine in it's cars and crown being the obvious choice
Hope that Mazda I6 is good and has Toyota's touch on the engine at least.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It does not make sense. Why use Mazda's less powerful I6 gasoline over V35A, and why use Mazda's less powerful and not much more economic I6 diesel of T24A hybrid?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
It does not make sense. Why use Mazda's less powerful I6 gasoline over V35A, and why use Mazda's less powerful and not much more economic I6 diesel of T24A hybrid?
Who knows if they will use their diesel but totally agree with why not using the V35

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Who knows if they will use their diesel but totally agree with why not using the V35
Well it is not confirmed but since bestcar has been correct so far it won't be too far fetched, the only reason they didn't use the mazda fr platform was it is not ready for hybrids (not mild hybrids)