16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
This is from Toyota JP spec sheet. It seems Toyota is intentionally differentiating Toyota and Lexus. The 2.4T hybrid system in the Crown is called "E-Four Advanced" to indicate it's a middle-ground between E-Four and Direct4. Direct4 will probably be a Lexus exclusive, good news for Lexus buyers.

The difference? The Crown's rear eAxle is detuned from 80kW to 59kW. It is the same 1YM unit used by bZ4X and RX500h just less powerful (torque remains the same). Toyota doesn't show the battery voltage but I suspect the battery is downsized as well.

Also I was wrong about two things in my original RX500h analysis: 1) the front motor is not identical to the rear, it's less powerful but has considerably more torque (61kW/292N.m). In fact, this motor is much more powerful than the 36kW/250N.m unit in the iForce Max and is potentially a future upgrade. The iForce Max would increase from 325kW(437hp)/790N.m(583lb.ft) to 350kW(469hp)/890N.m(656lb.ft). 2) The 6AT is not 8AT with 1st and 8th removed. It still has a 1st gear with a 14.89:1 overall reduction ratio. It just has really wide gear spread.
View attachment 6156
The 2.4T hybrid system is 150kg/330lbs heavier than the 2.5 hybrid with E-Four. The NX350h is 30kg heavier than the NX350. So the total added weight of 500h vs. 350 (2.4T) is ~180kg/400lbs.

By comparison the last-gen RX450h vs. RX350 is 160kg heavier. Crown 3.5 multi-stage vs. 2.5 hybrid is 130kg heavier.
View attachment 6157
The interior cabin length is 1980mm. That's 35mm longer than the ES, same as the S220 Crown, 40mm longer than the GS, 70mm shorter than the LS. The packaging is quite efficient.

The ground clearance is only 145mm (5.7 inch), exactly the same as ES and Camry. This is not even a "raised sedan" many suspected. It only looks raised because of the plastic cladding.
View attachment 6158

I also compared the full equipment list vs. S220 and I did not find features and equipment to be inferior to the S220. So at least on paper it's not a downgrade. But I agree the interior design looks cheap in full black. The S220 interior doesn't feel the same way.
1658594191.jpg1658594302.jpg

I found this online for RX500h and Crown Cross 2.4T Hybrid.

The yellow and red are the battery control unit, blue is the battery itself, green is cooling fan.

So I assume their battery size is different.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
i am the GS guy here my first was the 96 300, then 2002 430, then 2008 450h, then 2009 460, then GS-F which i really feel it can be well garaged for good if i can handle to buy this new crown , the only thing honestly i don't like about this new crown is the 2 tone exterior for the high trim 2.4T
I've been wanting a GS since 2006, first GS460 then GS450h then GS-F, and each time I got an ES instead. I guess I'm "part of the problem" lol.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Based on where this is priced and cost increases maybe people should temper expectations here. I doubt you’ll get anything near a proper GS replacement out of this.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
People really expect a FWD-based Toyota crossover, with a cheap plastic interior and riding on a raised chassis, will replace the Lexus GS? Talk about misplaced expectations.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
People really expect a FWD-based Toyota crossover, with a cheap plastic interior and riding on a raised chassis, will replace the Lexus GS? Talk about misplaced expectations.
I think they're taking about the sedan but it not confirmed if it's rwd or fwd yet

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

GS will not come back, well who knows, with the dawn of EVs, anything could happen.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I think they're taking about the sedan but it not confirmed if it's rwd or fwd yet
Sedan is definitely FR , even proportions can screaming FR

That said I like the whole lineup
The Sport or the wagon maybe turn to be my first ever CUV/SUV

Even the crossover is not bad with this new all wheel drive but I will save the final impression regarding the handling after a test drive from me and the media

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Sedan is definitely FR , even proportions can screaming FR

That said I like the whole lineup
The Sport or the wagon maybe turn to be my first ever CUV/SUV

Even the crossover is not bad with this new all wheel drive but I will save the final impression regarding the handling after a test drive from me and the media
I hope so

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
That depending on everyone definition to the G, for me G and from TMC , Toyota means a sporty car, Lexus means sporty FR sedan or wagon or SUV

So yes for me with the new sport and new wagon and the FR 230 sedan , yes the Crown is the successor of the G in Lexus lineup and the yellow wagon and the red sport makes what I always wanted from the GX as a on-road sporty CUV/SUV