16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I hope for Toyota NADM sake they have the CUV secretly testing as the Highlander+ model.

Reactions

I think this dispels any rumours of multiple body styles/models being introduced on the 15th (which is now officially confirmed) since the "Sedan? SUV?" bit in the intro sequence clearly refers to the car we've been seeing for the past month.

Leaves me wondering whether they'll keep the 220 in production, however (likely in a limited capacity for fleet sales, the Indonesian government and Crown traditionalists if they do—sort of like how they kept the 150 Sedan in production for a few years).

Reactions
I hope for Toyota NADM sake they have the CUV secretly testing as the Highlander+ model.
At this point, the "CUV" really is the jacked up sedan we've been seeing (it is a type of crossover vehicle after all) and it seems like the car was disguised as an ES until recently. The "ES Direct4" test mule was the closest thing they had to the Crown out of the two Direct4 test mules they showed in late 2020.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
According to the guy who posted this, this is specified on retail sheet of the crown along with 4 body types so mag x was correct

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
8 days for the truth

What's the ZSH?
Why both written crossover so if they're 4 where's the other 3 prices?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If there ends up being some version of the Crown that's a sporty crossover with the 2.4T + hybrid powertrain, that could be pretty compelling. However, what I see above is a hot ass mess and does not quality as "compelling" unless it comes with the LFA's V10.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
If there ends up being some version of the Crown that's a sporty crossover with the 2.4T + hybrid powertrain, that could be pretty compelling. However, what I see above is a hot ass mess and does not quality as "compelling" unless it comes with the LFA's V10.
Do you mind if I use that line in the future to purchase a crown, and a dealer asks me "what will it take to get you in to this today?"

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Honestly, I don't really see the point of the new crown cross/crown sedan here in NA. Firstly the sedan is really a redesigned avalon but obviously with better powertrains but still I don't see it doing well. Toyota should just have the camry and if you want more premium product go with the ES. The avalon had no place between camry and ES that's why avalon got canceled. Same thing with the Crossover, go with an RX instead of an ugly pos bodystyle Crown Cross.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Honestly, I don't really see the point of the new crown cross/crown sedan here in NA. Firstly the sedan is really a redesigned avalon but obviously with better powertrains but still I don't see it doing well. Toyota should just have the camry and if you want more premium product go with the ES. The avalon had no place between camry and ES that's why avalon got canceled. Same thing with the Crossover, go with an RX instead of an ugly pos bodystyle Crown Cross.
The Avalon sold well enough that it went through 5 generations over 25+ years. It is being cancelled now because North American buyers have rejected full-size sedans for (3-row) crossovers. The Highlander has replaced the Avalon.

As for the Crown, it is a line of vehicles with 65+ years of history; Toyota cannot afford to throw that badge away, just as it cannot throw away the Corolla badge away.

That said, vehicles must evolve with the times and what customers are looking for, and the Crown must evolve. Customers are looking for "crossovers" right now, cars (sedans, hatchbacks and station wagons in all but name, with lower-body black plastic cladding and riding on raised suspensions). But not everyone, I believe, is looking for a super-tall SUV like the RX, with their greater tendency to roll over. There may be a market for something between a low-slung sedan and a super-tall crossover SUV. The Europeans seem to be betting on that.

Absent station wagons in North America, and with no interest in super-tall Highlanders and RXes, I would be interested in looking at the new Crown.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
8 days for the truth

What's the ZSH?
Why both written crossover so if they're 4 where's the other 3 prices?
TZSH is designation code, personal guess in new type car series code designation method, when old enough car series code like Corolla's "E" and Crown's "S" need adding "Z" before the series code when they using DF series engine. And using the number last two digits of three digits, so it will be finally combined to TZSH35.
So T mean T24A, S is for Crown, H for Hybrid. 35 mean 230 series four-wheel drive sub-models.
This naming method way is known by now selling 15th Crown 2.5H AZSH20/21 and 2.0NA/2L Hybrid Corolla MZEA12/MZEH12.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
TZSH is designation code, personal guess in new type car series code designation method, when old enough car series code like Corolla's "E" and Crown's "S" need adding "Z" before the series code when they using DF series engine. And using the number last two digits of three digits, so it will be finally combined to TZSH35.
So T mean T24A, S is for Crown, H for Hybrid. 35 mean 230 series four-wheel drive sub-models.
This naming method way is known by now selling 15th Crown 2.5H AZSH20/21 and 2.0NA/2L Hybrid Corolla MZEA12/MZEH12.
Thanks for clarifying, but still this is a single model not 4 as they said

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Hmmm.... So maybe have more possible the "35" mean crossover style body. Not just only for 4WD drivetrain...
(Just another guessing...)
Yes, the second digit is body style. Best example is J70 series Land Cruiser. So in this case 230=sedan, 235=crossover

Levi

Expert
Reactions
They show the raised crossover first, then sedan later. Reception of crossover will be more tolerant, in the same time the real haters will be relieved to have a sedan and might just vote with their wallet.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
They show the raised crossover first, then sedan later. Reception of crossover will be more tolerant, in the same time the real haters will be relieved to have a sedan and might just vote with their wallet.
I think Toyota won't destroy the crown heritage in the process to make it a standalone brand instead of just a model