16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Idk, Toyota has been pretty good at keeping things under wraps lately when it comes to tnga based vehicles.
Not always, LCj300 was a disaster in this matter and so the Tundra which put Toyota in a case of posting a photo for the TRD itself before the announcement with nearly year

Reactions
Not always, LCj300 was a disaster in this matter and so the Tundra which put Toyota in a case of posting a photo for the TRD itself before the announcement with nearly year
Well, these were all transitioning from legacy platforms to TNGA so it's pretty much a given. We've been seeing the new Tacoma since last year for this reason, and it's the same reason why mules of the new RX and Sienta were spotted testing well in advance of their announcement. The new Crown, on the other hand, might have been disguised as something similar for mechanical testing (e.g. S220, Mirai, ES if it's really going transverse) and the body test mules are only going out now because it was already on TNGA. Even the new RX mechanicals were being tested in an ES mule well before the first RX mule was seen.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Another reason why land cruiser couldn't be kept a secret was it was shipped to many countries where local toyota dealerships didn't bother much about secrecy

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Now that Toyota is putting 80kW electric motors in the back of vehicles, it really isn't a big deal if the engine is mounted sideways in the front of the car from a dynamics perspective. From a packaging perspective, that is a huge benefit (no transmission tunnel, flat rear floor). They'd be insane, frankly, to stick with FR in any car that doesn't need it for marketing reasons. Basically IS, LC, and RC at this point.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Now that Toyota is putting 80kW electric motors in the back of vehicles, it really isn't a big deal if the engine is mounted sideways in the front of the car from a dynamics perspective. From a packaging perspective, that is a huge benefit (no transmission tunnel, flat rear floor). They'd be insane, frankly, to stick with FR in any car that doesn't need it for marketing reasons. Basically IS, LC, and RC at this point.
But they will mostly be front biased

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
That sounds more like the next ES than the next LS.
Do you think the next ES is going to be 450hp? Because that proposed power train is excess of 450hp. IMO, ES gets an A25 hybrid, maybe a T24, and maybe a T24 hybrid (a la RX500h). A25 PHEV is probably a lot more likely in the next ES as the upper trim.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The next LS, if there is any, will very likely be full electric instead of a transverse hybrid.
I wasn't suggesting that the LS would actually get this powertrain. I said that, dynamically, only the LC, RC, and IS really need to be RWD. Someone asked about LS, so I responded that if they were to design an ICE LS from scratch today, that a transverse mounted Direct4 could do the job and probably be a better LS than the existing V35 FR LS.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
suddenly curious about the possibility of “Camry” becoming the line of derived models (see Corolla cross, etc) in NA with the Crown being some top end model.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
New developments:
  1. S230 Crown confirmed—document on toyota-tech.eu makes mention of a TZSH35 Crown with AWD. Suggests it will be available in Europe in addition to Australia (where the new logo was trademarked), Japan and the USA.
  2. Dealers in Japan have begun to receive training videos.
  3. Camouflaged test mules have been spotted on the road in Japan.
From descriptions of the test mules and the actual car in the training videos, we can relax knowing it is not a crossover. It has been described as a Mirai-like fastback with a taller profile than the current sedan and comparisons have been made to the BMW 6 Series GT, Audi A6 e-tron, Porsche Panamera and Nio ET5.

If the covered cars in the HQC teaser image are the Crown, it appears that it will retain the GA-L platform and become the first longitudinal application of the T24A (much like how the S220 was the first, and so far only, application of the A25 in a longitudinal layout).
but all the rumors/sources says its moving to fwd

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
The next LS, if there is any, will very likely be full electric instead of a transverse hybrid.
I think all rear biased vehicles from Lexus will be electric in the future. I see LC being canceled about 3 years from now at the same time the 6LS debuts as electric. I see RC being canceled soon and IS will live on until around 2025 with a real 4th gen IS which would be electric. I think LS will debut solid state for Lexus and IS will follow. Too bad we have stale IS/RC right. I really hope somehow IS ends up on Mazda rwd platform but with Mazda 6 being axed I doubt it. We see evidence with that since the legendary Crown is moving to fwd so its a sign for the future.