16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The Avalon looked way better on the inside. The interior is just... not good...

To me it looks like they intentionally stripped it down and took out the luxury touches on purpose. Nicer door panels, more stitching, and more contrasting trim would go a long way on the Crown. However, I think they avoided all of those things because of… the ES.

Lame.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Maybe they want some downward pressure on market position for some toyota models, so the crown lineup extracts a bit more margin out of the people buying maxed out Camry's and Avalons, and let the lower models offer less at a lower/maintained pricepoint as inflation does its thing too. Trickle down design and features.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Maybe they want some downward pressure on market position for some toyota models, so the crown lineup extracts a bit more margin out of the people buying maxed out Camry's and Avalons, and let the lower models offer less at a lower/maintained pricepoint as inflation does its thing too. Trickle down design and features.
I suspect that you may be right that Toyota is trying to cut costs (or at least minimize costs) on the North American lineup in order to keep prices down (and maintain margins). It may be that average North Americans can no longer afford modern new cars, even as more and more safety and emissions equipment is placed in them, driving costs and prices up.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
To me it looks like they intentionally stripped it down and took out the luxury touches on purpose. Nicer door panels, more stitching, and more contrasting trim would go a long way on the Crown. However, I think they avoided all of those things because of… the ES.

Lame.
There are also a lot of people complaining Toyotas have become too luxurious and there was not enough differentiation compared to Lexus...like in the case of Sequoia Capstone vs. LX.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Lame.

Pretty sure once you sit down in the Crown, it is a lot more luxurious than Avalon. Luxury does not have to be flashy.
ES is also not flashy at all.

Flashy were North American designed vehicles, they always looked nice on the pics, as long as you dont push and prod too much.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
Pretty sure once you sit down in the Crown, it is a lot more luxurious than Avalon. Luxury does not have to be flashy.

Flashy were North American designed vehicles, they always looked nice on the pics, as long as you dont push and prod too much.

Full plastic interior door trim panels & hard plastic interior door cards with no upholstery in a $40,000 - $50,000 "premium" crossover/sedan like the Crown, is the contradiction of "luxury."

Flashy is in the eye of the beholder. Nevertheless, the outgoing Avalon clearly bests the new Crown with superior interior materials all around.

@4:08 - 4:55 Tommy from TFL discussing the interior differences between the Avalon & Crown.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Full plastic interior door trim panels & hard plastic interior door cards with no upholstery in a $40,000 - $50,000 "premium" crossover/sedan like the Crown, is the contradiction of "luxury."

Flashy is in the eye of the beholder. Nevertheless, the outgoing Avalon clearly bests the new Crown with superior interior materials all around.

@4:08 - 4:55 Tommy from TFL discussing the interior differences between the Avalon & Crown.
I agree but now we know the regular will most likely be more luxurious than the cross but with toyota calling the cross a full size luxury sedan in the US it's unlikely that will make it there

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

I will have to wait to sit in a Crown to see, but the Avalon interior was shockingly nice and very high quality for the pricepoint. I don't like the swooping pop up screen design, but the door panels and dash had a lot of nice detailing that felt very Lexus-like, high quality and extremely solid.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
The two-tone paint makes it ugly but I don't think it's THAT ugly from the outside.

The inside is just... *sigh*...
Only the side profile looks good. The exterior would look good if they did something about the front bumper and remove the black plastic cladding, inside looks good but could do with more ddtails.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
IF you say the Avalon front Fascia looks good but the crown is ugly You will need to explain because to me they literally look alike. especially the grill. The rear is Ok if you avoid the two tone colors. Maybe a reasonable drop too.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
No the avalon had an ugly grill but the headlights had some character the crown lacks and overall the avalon looked better but the crown 15th gen was better than both