12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I hope this project dies ASAP. Also how can this be a Corolla? That makes NO sense.

The fact that Toyota is going to rebadge a Subaru to make a GR Corolla is nuts. We have everything to make the GR Corolla. We have the amazing GR-Four AWD system, the G16E-GTS, a GREAT chassis, and a great transmission. This isn't the GR Supra or the GR 86 where they needed to be codeveloped. I get codeveloping those, but I can't stand behind this and defend Toyota anymore. REBADGING A SUBARU TO MAKE A COROLLA? The Corolla and Camry are their bread and butter sedans, this isn't the GR Supra or the GR 86. They're getting too comfortable and I'm high-key pissed off. F*ck this.

why are you getting your pants on fire about Geckos comment? GR Corolla will be continuation of GR Yaris, not rebadged Impreza?
Report is also talking about Celica, but that makes no sense to me since GR86 is in that space, and between GR Yaris, GR Corolla, GR 86 and GR Supra, there is no space for GR Celica based on Subaru.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So is that means NA will get a WRX version
Or both the WRX version and the Corolla GR ???

Reactions
why are you getting your pants on fire about Geckos comment? GR Corolla will be continuation of GR Yaris, not rebadged Impreza?
Report is also talking about Celica, but that makes no sense to me since GR86 is in that space, and between GR Yaris, GR Corolla, GR 86 and GR Supra, there is no space for GR Celica based on Subaru.

??

How the hell am I mad at Gecko? Read my entire comment.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I really don’t know... it seems to me that GR Corolla is just the most logical explanation for the reasons spwolf mentioned. The world is CUV crazy so another “hot hatch” in addition to the existing Corolla? Probably not. GR86 and Supra 2.0 eat up the remaining interest in sporty cars. Toyota and Subaru are increasingly working out of the same parts bin and sharing costs, so Impreza and Corolla seem like a good fit to me.

I could very well be wrong, too.

Reactions
I really don’t know... it seems to me that GR Corolla is just the most logical explanation for the reasons spwolf mentioned. The world is CUV crazy so another “hot hatch” in addition to the existing Corolla? Probably not. GR86 and Supra 2.0 eat up the remaining interest in sporty cars. Toyota and Subaru are increasingly working out of the same parts bin and sharing costs, so Impreza and Corolla seem like a good fit to me.

I'm just annoyed that if this is the case then the G16E-GTS and the GR-Four AWD system will never make it's way into NA. I'd would be really happy if the Celica actually came to be and it was a 2-door coupé and we also got the GR Corolla/GR C-HR and even the GR Yaris. Demand for a GR Toyota product is insanely high and they will all sell like the GR Yaris sold worldwide.

The GR Supra was supposed to be the birth of the GR brand here but that's a codeveloped project. The GR 86 is ALSO a codeveloped project, and now this! Will the GR brand here in NA be just codeveloped cars? That's just being f*cking lazy!! They need to try hard for the NA market and ride the wave of success from the GR Supra and GR 86.

Reactions
The GR Supra was supposed to be the birth of the GR brand here but that's a codeveloped project. The GR 86 is ALSO a codeveloped project, and now this! Will the GR brand here in NA be just codeveloped cars? That's just being f*cking lazy!! They need to try hard for the NA market and ride the wave of success from the GR Supra and GR 86.
They don't seem to be trying (See Apex Edition). Time is ticking on the current Corolla to get a true performance variant...Hyundai will have an Elantra N probably in the summer, and there's a new Civic and GTI right around the corner too. To me, it seems that the attention is on their trucks and SUVs more than the car lineup. I guess their MO is they don't care if the Corolla is slow for these buyers, they can go get an GR Toybaru, Zupra or any of their V6 sedan TuRDs lol, while ignoring that they could easily sell out production of that Yaris at almost any cost.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I don't know
I have a crazy theory as always

What if Toyota make the legandary naming with others but the normal naming in house

In other words, what if it was supposed for the new Celica to be made with the help of Subaru and then they renew the name but the Corolla GR was already supposed for NA

In other time what stops Toyota to make the Corolla GR just like a big 2 door hatch Yaris GR, but the Celica/WRX will be either proper 4 door sedan or 4 door hatchback?!

Reactions
They don't seem to be trying (See Apex Edition). Time is ticking on the current Corolla to get a true performance variant...Hyundai will have an Elantra N probably in the summer, and there's a new Civic and GTI right around the corner too. To me, it seems that the attention is on their trucks and SUVs more than the car lineup. I guess their MO is they don't care if the Corolla is slow for these buyers, they can go get an GR Toybaru, Zupra or any of their V6 sedan TuRDs lol, while ignoring that they could easily sell out production of that Yaris at almost any cost.

I was always defending Toyota codeveloping cars so they can get back into a groove again, but now they're thinking of codeveloping a performance car that's based on their bread and butter vehicles? This makes no sense at all. They're getting too comfortable with their sales results for the GR Supra and the GT86 (soon to be GR 86). The reason why people accepted these two cars is because they understood how Toyota works as a company, but by now they're expecting to see some Toyota-only products. If this happens to be the Corolla then they're shooting themselves in the foot. THAT is true rebadging, not the GR 86 or the GR Supra.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

it will literally be "another" hot hatch, GR Corolla with same powertrain as GR Yaris. This thing will be pretty popular, more so than GR 86, at least in certain countries in the world. I would expect more vehicles with same powertrain, like C-HR for instance, they already said they did not develop it to use it on a single car.

That is why this rumor is talking about Celica, nor Corolla.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
it will literally be "another" hot hatch, GR Corolla with same powertrain as GR Yaris. This thing will be pretty popular, more so than GR 86, at least in certain countries in the world. I would expect more vehicles with same powertrain, like C-HR for instance, they already said they did not develop it to use it on a single car.

That is why this rumor is talking about Celica, nor Corolla.

I do not think Corolla is getting the same exact powertrain as GR Yaris. It would have happened by now, and it would put the car in a disadvantaged position with the Civic Type R by being 50hp short... basically, much like Lexus F cars that are completely misaligned to the competition. Maybe Toyota learned a thing or two?

My .02 is GR Corolla is getting the new 2.4T I4, which is why it hasn’t been released yet.

Sure, Yaris powertrain will work in other small car applications like C-HR, but I think Corolla will get something larger. After all, it is 300+ lbs heavier.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
I do not think Corolla is getting the same exact powertrain as GR Yaris. It would have happened by now, and it would put the car in a disadvantaged position with the Civic Type R by being 50hp short... basically, much like Lexus F cars that are completely misaligned to the competition. Maybe Toyota learned a thing or two?

My .02 is GR Corolla is getting the new 2.4T I4, which is why it hasn’t been released yet.

Sure, Yaris powertrain will work in other small car applications like C-HR, but I think Corolla will get something larger. After all, it is 300+ lbs heavier.
Any idea on what the rumored specs for the new 2.4t I4 are?
This is also going to most likely debut on the 2nd gen Lexus NX, correct?

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Greeting again!
Here some personal news for new "Corolla-L", the FAW-Toyota Allion. It have 4,720(L)×1,780(W)×1,435(H)mm body size with 2750mm wheelbase. Extend wheelbase is for Chinese consumer prefer better rear row space and fill sedan product line of FAW-Toyota.

allion1.jpgallion4.jpg
The demo car is top trim, MSRP cost 179,800 RMB(≈27536 USD). Other trim from entry need 142,800 RMB(≈21870 USD) to sub-top trim need 174,800 RMB(≈26771 USD). IMO, this is a quite high price for a "A+ Class"(Chinese classfication) and just nearby GAC-Toyota's 2.0L Camry "Lexury" trim MSRP(199,800 RMB≈30589 USD) or its big brother Avalon 2.0L. I'm not sure how many consumer will accept such high prices for a "Corolla-L".

A rear row view for Allion. My height is 183cm, driver seat are setting on my comfortable position.Obviously it quite roomy 😄 allion2.jpg

Top trim tires use Michelin Pilot Sport 4 with 225/40 R18 spec and rims styling is come from 15th Gen. Crown G-Executive grade.
allion3.jpg

Summary: Due Allion just launch on sale few day ago, dealer still need some time for register vehicle for test drive car. This time I can only provide some pictures in the showroom and simple static experience. I will find chance to test drive Allion and find out how different between Corolla and my own C-HR, both car using GA-C platform and 2.0NA powertrain.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Allion is almost as roomy as the Camry, so there's no problem with the pricing. The top trim is only touching the base trim GAC Camry 2.0. I feel the quality is fine but the engine is underpowered. The hybrid version would be much more desirable.

One interesting thing about the Allion is the official name "亚洲狮"(Asian Lion) similar to "亚洲龙"(Asian Dragon/Avalon). These are really good transliterations. The original name "傲澜" is a pejorative word in certain areas of Guangdong so they changed it last minute. They avoided the ES"250" mistake.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

toyota-corolla-cross-spy-shots-three-quarters-close.jpg

toyota-corolla-cross-spy-shots-profile.jpg

toyota-corolla-cross-spy-shots-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Reactions
CVT... so far pretty roomy and feels high quality for its price. I can’t seem to figure out the infotainment I guess I need a Toyota APP.
Mu kid just said “it handles good and I like the screen” lol
Even with Carplay or Android Auto? They still owe you a 6 speed to test out haha.