12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It is another Toyota I am hearing good things about from people that usually hate Toyota's. I really want to check this out.

I could care less what Toyota haters think honestly. The opinions I value most are what Toyota owners and Toyota fans think of this.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Toyota's Europe Newsroom and UK Media Site have issued some information on the second body style for the 12th-generation Corolla, the Touring Sports wagon (formerly expected to bear the [3rd-gen] Auris badge).

As correctly predicted and posted elsewhere on these forums by @spwolf , its wheelbase has been stretched from the hatchback's 2639 mm (104") to 2700 mm (106.3"), and European engine choices echo the hatchback's: the 8NR-FTS 1.2-liter turbo 4 as the sole non-hybrid option, the aging Prius 2ZR-FXE 1.8-liter 4-cylinder as the "econo-hybrid" option and the new M20A-FXS 2-liter 4 as a "performance hybrid" option.

Other bits revealed at this point include optional availability for the first time in a Corolla of adaptive variable suspension (AVS), class-leading rear legroom (with front to rear seat couple distance of 928mm), loadspace with a VDA capacity of 598 litres and the option of a quartet of two-tone exteriors with a black roof, pillars and lower front grille surround.

That 2700mm wheelbase, by the way, is an exact match for that of the outgoing Avensis. The latter, in fact, was discontinued last month per Wikipedia, and it's already been removed from the Toyota UK consumer site (although it still appears on their pan-European consumer site). More details should be available after the October 2 press conference for its world premiere at the 2018 Paris Motor Show.

After seeing these pictures, I so wish this would be available in North America, and NOT as a raised and black plastic-clad Corolla Cross:

COROLLA_TS_front_34_2_V05_LR_RGB.-1000x665.jpg

TS_High-rear_V9_LR_RGB.-1000x750.jpg

COROLLA_TS_INTERIOR_1_V6_LR_RGB-1000x750.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yeah... the extra few inches of wheelbase make a big difference. Really, really sharp looking vehicle. One of Toyota's best in recent memory, IMO. I'd love to see that here with a 2.0T option!

Return of the Caldina? They can certainly do it and use their new torque vectoring awd system.

gallery_used-car-carlist-toyota-caldina-zt-wagon-malaysia_2456843_FZrZUCyJLZWl9Yu25XXe4o.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have a feeling we are going to see the Venza return - if not in name, at least in execution. The segment of two-row, midsize crossovers is growing and Toyota doesn't have anything there. Venza did reasonably well in it's time, but you could also argue it was a bit before it's time.

These days, a lifted Camry wagon with beefier sheet metal would sell like crazy. Even Venza was very good looking, IMO.

358fa92b1f686fd819f4a01c398a22edx.jpg

Also, random side note: In a world where marketing is ever more important, I wish Toyota would just call their AWD system for unibody vehicles "All-Trac." Nostalgic, it means something, and they should stick to one name and market/evolve the hell out of it, like Quattro, 4Matic, Symmetrical AWD, etc.

"Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive" is too much to say/understand.

Toyota Camry XSE V6 All-Trac. Where do I sign for that car? ;)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Speaking of Corolla Cross (which was first brought to our attention by @spwolf), the trademark has been registered in the United States (filed under Serial Number 88095191 on August 28, 2018). Sounds like we might be getting the Corolla Touring Sports wagon after all, albeit with raised ride height, black fender cladding, some sort of faux skid plates and, possibly, all-wheel-drive.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Speaking of Corolla Cross (which was first brought to our attention by @spwolf), the trademark has been registered in the United States (filed under Serial Number 88095191 on August 28, 2018). Sounds like we might be getting the Corolla Touring Sports wagon after all, albeit with raised ride height, black fender cladding, some sort of faux skid plates and, possibly, all-wheel-drive.

Corolla Cross should be CUV version of Corolla Hatch, not Touring Sports...

TMC already had similar vehicles, i dont think they were too sucessful... i remember Yaris and Aqua Cross as well as Etios Cross.

They just announced special addition of that Aqua Crossover (Prius c).

001.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It could go either way, I suppose, depending on whether they're targeting the Subaru XV/Crosstrek or the VW Golf Alltrack.

I am 90% sure it is Corolla hatch because it is more popular model worldwide, plus Focus Active went that way too.

I just hope it will be smarter that tiny bit of cladding and slightly raised chasis (but likely not)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It could go either way, I suppose, depending on whether they're targeting the Subaru XV/Crosstrek or the VW Golf Alltrack.

btw, I was recently told by some Toyota Europe dealers that they never heard of Corolla Cross. Cant be coming soon?

It seems that Irish new hybrid was Yaris GR, which is appearance package for Yaris Hybrid, with some MY19 updates for Yaris.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Is this still happening? Slotted above the C-HR?

i dont see anything about it anywhere... so not soon at least?

Although I am not sure what will Burnaston do now that Avensis is gone, Corolla alone is not enough.