The Official "I'm Struggling with Lexus" Thread

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Have been silent for a while, listening in on the conversation.

For me it is resonable to pay for the pleasure of new technology and/or performance. Latest years bought the latest Lexus V8s and gladly paid the price for performance.

And you find all in for example Porsche Cayenne (460 hp and 0-62 mph in 5 s). And that is no supercar.

Lexus has downsized from V8 in LS, with old V8 power in hybrid V6. But, of you look at the competition, included pure electified cars, the whole lineup is now surely underpowered.

Put in the bonus malus in Sweden and other countries together with other economic incentives, the RX for example is not that good affair compered with the above mentioned Porsche. And they are gaining in reliability. The only negative for me comparing was the bit of Wolkswagen in Porsche versus the Lexus feel and my brand loyalty. But it was a close call.

Another example from the germans is the new Audi A6 Avant, chargeable, very low taxes, 367 bhp and real four wheel drive.

In your reasoning Lexus should not be interested in my type of buyer, who wants top notch or a little more in the segment, as well as more horsepowers. To expensive. Fine, of that is the future of the brand, I could as well get a real good car as the Toyota Rav4. Wonderful car. Just love the Rav4. But, that is not what I want.... there is not even a chargeable RX in place 2020.

The discussion on this forum lately is symptomatic, more about Toyota and other brands than new Lexus alternatives... Hallo, wake up Lexus!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This thread brings alot of silent but disappointed voices. What about all those not on the internet? UX sells, but is it what the Lexus brand stands for? If yes, the target customer is a different one than it used to be.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's stupid for them to not build the UX for their markets with preference for small vehicles. It's stupid for them to discontinue the CT and not having a sedan version of CT.

But the rumored Yaris-sized BX? No, that's definitely not necessary. They need to draw the line somewhere. Luxury means ride quality and NVH, and these four properties are always better on bigger and heavier cars. There is just no way to make a 1200 kg mini car as comfortable as even a poorly made 1500kg mid-size car. So unless the BX is some sort of premium electric city car (like Honda E) I don't think it's smart to go into that segment. And even then I think it's better to wear a Toyota badge. After all Honda doesn't sell the E as an Acura.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Reading the post on the updated 2021 LS.

My question, why not a multistage hybrid för RX, why not a turbo V6 hybrid RX, why not pack the RX with the current V8 in RC F and LC 500?

Nothing of the old (pure V8 and performance) or something new, like am chargeable of some variant of the above.

If not, what to wait for?

Hope that Lexus surprises us all. And me in time to order my next car. If no news by then, I surely are going to place my next order elsewhere.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Just now.

Toyota:

Toyota GR Super Sports arriving in 2021, road-legal version of forthcoming Le Mans racer will serve as range-topping halo model.

GR Yaris - arriving in late 2020: Four-wheel-drive, 247bhp-plus hot hatch brings World Rally Championship learnings to Yaris range.

GR Supra - on sale now: Famed two-seat grand tourer has been reborn.

GR86 - arriving in 2021: Second generation of rear-wheel-drive coupé will be brought in line with new GR branding.

Lexus:

???

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Lol. Lexus waiting for the attention to shift away from Toyota so it can get its own love too. I think right now the Focus is on Toyota products. It sucks I know, but Lexus turn will eventually come.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It's stupid for them to not build the UX for their markets with preference for small vehicles. It's stupid for them to discontinue the CT and not having a sedan version of CT.

But the rumored Yaris-sized BX? No, that's definitely not necessary. They need to draw the line somewhere. Luxury means ride quality and NVH, and these four properties are always better on bigger and heavier cars. There is just no way to make a 1200 kg mini car as comfortable as even a poorly made 1500kg mid-size car. So unless the BX is some sort of premium electric city car (like Honda E) I don't think it's smart to go into that segment. And even then I think it's better to wear a Toyota badge. After all Honda doesn't sell the E as an Acura.

i dont agree at all.

You have to understand that in Europe, UX is not a small car.
BX would be small going to midsize CUV here these days.

And their new platform is really comfortable and premium (New Yaris is crazy expensive).

It is just a very different market to your own and to the US.

Honda E is cool but completely useless car, I have no idea who will buy that around here (nobody?).

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
15 new posts in the forums.

Most of them about Toyota etc. Just some posts regarding details like body kits on existing Lexus models. 💤

Is it just me who is beginning to get bored and desperatyly starting to look at Toyota Supra, Jaguar SVR, Porsche e-hybrids and ads on old used Lexus cars like RC F?

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
UX is a small car. Sold my NX (to small) and bought an RX. Bigger, but still a midsize SUV. And I am not a US customer.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
15 new posts in the forums.

Most of them about Toyota etc. Just some posts regarding details like body kits on existing Lexus models. 💤

Is it just me who is beginning to get bored and desperatyly starting to look at Toyota Supra, Jaguar SVR, Porsche e-hybrids and ads on old used Lexus cars like RC F?

You are right. My .02...

I think those of us who have stuck around have reduced or altered our expectations for Lexus, which is a sad reality.

While Lexus seems to be always behind and leave us always waiting, I am content to wait until we see the new NX, RX and LX. Those will be the three mile markers that show me if there is anything left in this brand, or if it is time to go elsewhere. I have no interest in owning any of those three products, but they should be the three most important ones that show Lexus' best thinking delivered to market over the next 2-3 years.

I personally think that German cars have become insanely overpriced and I am still a person who values reliability, and probably never uses more than 200hp in 90% of my driving, so Toyota/Lexus still feels right for me. The difference is that I've switched to Toyota over the last few purchases because I no longer see value in Lexus, but perhaps that will change.

Until then, I'm still in the stadium but not really watching the game. Probably at the bar having a drink and reading stats on other sports teams.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
You are right. My .02...

I think those of us who have stuck around have reduced or altered our expectations for Lexus, which is a sad reality.

While Lexus seems to be always behind and leave us always waiting, I am content to wait until we see the new NX, RX and LX. Those will be the three mile markers that show me if there is anything left in this brand, or if it is time to go elsewhere. I have no interest in owning any of those three products, but they should be the three most important ones that show Lexus' best thinking delivered to market over the next 2-3 years.

I personally think that German cars have become insanely overpriced and I am still a person who values reliability, and probably never uses more than 200hp in 90% of my driving, so Toyota/Lexus still feels right for me. The difference is that I've switched to Toyota over the last few purchases because I no longer see value in Lexus, but perhaps that will change.

Until then, I'm still in the stadium but not really watching the game. Probably at the bar having a drink and reading stats on other sports teams.
@Gecko is that what we call a Jets fan rt now?? Lol

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Like tour thoughts, I am hopeful for this and next year (2020 and 2021). Still 200bhp is not enough for me, hell 300 is not enough. Go Lexus!

But if nothing quite more than the ordinary is presented for 2022. As a Lexus fan and enthusiast, I am not sure I have more patience.

should I get a Supra and toss in a Rav4, just to stay japanes? Do not like german cars...

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
Like tour thoughts, I am hopeful for this and next year (2020 and 2021). Still 200bhp is not enough for me, hell 300 is not enough. Go Lexus!

But if nothing quite more than the ordinary is presented for 2022. As a Lexus fan and enthusiast, I am not sure I have more patience.

should I get a Supra and toss in a Rav4, just to stay japanes? Do not like german cars...
If you don't like German cars, you won't like the Supra.... it is a German car.

Will1991

Reactions
To say the truth, the Supra is indeed Japenese but built from BMW parts bin and some of BMW engineering team, as the 86 is made from Subaru parts bin and team.

But there is a huge difference between the two...
For the 86 they created a new nameplate and said it was a spiritual sucessor... They didn't pick up one of the most historical nameplates Toyota ever created and give it a non-Toyota engine...

It's a great car, but they shouldn't have called it Supra IMO.

Branding was even more stupid considering all the historical competition is in a whole another level nowadays (NSX/GTR).