5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It maybe some weird press photos, but those cutouts seem to indicate that the teammate system is optional? Hybrid vehicles have the cutouts while the F sport and regular versions are missing those cutouts?

I suspect it's just that cars with Teammate have the cutouts and the rest don't. Given what the 4LS mules for Teammate looked like originally, the cutouts aren't ideal but they're a lot better than I had feared.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think it's fair to say that some of you like this LS redesign, and some don't.

Visually it's not what I was expecting, but I love the Teammate tech, the reprogrammed ECU/TCU for better acceleration (although that oughta be a flash update for current LS500s), the changes to the air suspension and the seats to make the ride more plush, the improved engine sound deadening, and the new metal leaf interior ornamentation. It feels like they actually did listen to the ranting I did on the Lexus Advisory Board surveys 🤣

ETA: I'm assuming we won't get the digital mirrors or blade-scan headlights in the US because regulations, but they're cool.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Since the 5LS launch, Lexus has consistently made little improvements to the car and while this is being delivered as a refresh, I see it more as methodical continued improvement vs. a more visually apparent model change that we probably expected. I think we're all accustomed to more significant visual changes for a Lexus refresh (especially over the last decade), which this car does not have.

But to spwolf's point, there are a lot of small updates here that show some effort: improvements to NVH, the new safety and autonomous driving tech, suspension revisions, infotainment upgrades and they seem to have recalibrated the powertrain to provide more oomph where it counts. Good updates - can't dispute those improvements.

I agree with Ian's point that tucking the new tablet under the dash line would have made it seem more integrated and less tacked on. The new interior metal leaf accent looks like a bad faux finish or winter camo print. Not my cup of tea. I am pleased that it seems like the weird dash graphic on the passenger side of the dash is gone.

I was personally expecting Lexus to reshape the front seat backs and/or the back seats to quell some of the complaints about rear headroom and seating position. Maybe they did that but it didn't make the press release...? I was also expecting at least some new wheel designs to mix things up and stronger visual updates to the front and rear to make the car look newer. As it stands now, you would have to be an enthusiast to tell the difference between 2018-2020 and 2021+ and that doesn't bode well when the car has already been selling poorly.

The new calibration for the powertrains might help to reduce complaints about power, but I know some here were hoping for a V8 or 600h option that did not happen. I thought a 600h could be in the cards, but not a V8, so I am not as let down.

TL;DR it seems like the focus of this refresh was technology and refinement, and less about visual change or new powertrains. Whether you like or dislike what Lexus did is up to you.

Some here have said that the 5LS seems like a stopgap solution between the extended lifetime of the 4LS and whatever comes next. I was not inclined to believe that after so much investment going into GA-L and the resulting poor sales because usually ToMoCo needs a plan or projection of recooping their investment before launching a new model. However, I'm beginning to think this theory could be right and this generation of LS might have been a testing ground for new platforms and tech to prepare for a 6LS that could be sooner than we think.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
I know I might be rehashing what everyone has said so far, but it seems that the original design of the fifth generation LS was quite cohesive and visually flowed. I don't think the designer(s) had thought about the inclusion of these technologies initially, which is why the refresh looks botched/disrupted. I am happy that the LS is debuting the new autonomous technology, as it stills shows how it is viewed as the true flagship showing the capabilities of Lexus.

At the end of the day, this refresh doesn't impact me a lot because I won't be able to afford one until later on in my life. I would like to hear what reviewers say about the improvements to the transmission calibration, as it hopefully shows that they would be willing to do the same on lower end models like the ES or even the Camry.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Some here have said that the 5LS seems like a stopgap solution between the extended lifetime of the 4LS and whatever comes next. I was not inclined to believe that after so much investment going into GA-L and the resulting poor sales because usually ToMoCo needs a plan or projection of recooping their investment before launching a new model. However, I'm beginning to think this theory could be right and this generation of LS might have been a testing ground for new platforms and tech to prepare for a 6LS that could be sooner than we think.
I deeply, fervently and sincerely hope you're right about this, but the pessimist in me fears the opposite. Perhaps the 2021 5LS refresh is so modest because 5LS will, instead, follow the 4LS and 3IS playbook: an initial mild refresh, followed by a second more profound one (presumably for the 2024 5LS) and a decade (or decade-plus) lifespan.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions

I'm 100% sure that's what's happening. There's an NDA on the content of Lexus Advisory Board stuff so I can't cite specific things, but they've been asking about some pretty wild stuff in the last year or so.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I deeply, fervently and sincerely hope you're right about this, but the pessimist in me fears the opposite. Perhaps the 2021 5LS refresh is so modest because 5LS will, instead, follow the 4LS and 3IS playbook: an initial mild refresh, followed by a second more profound one (presumably for the 2024 5LS) and a decade (or decade-plus) lifespan.

Stop being realistic - I'm trying to be positive here 🤣

Yes, I think you've outlined the other likely scenario. I could see them refreshing the car again in another 3 years with some of the things we were expecting this time around like more dramatic sheetmetal, another revised dash and perhaps the 600h powertrain after it debuts in the Tundra.

Net new platform and powertrains in 2018 mean the LS doesn't really need another holistic crazy model change for a while. I think the struggle is that we were expecting them to do some of those things for 2021, but this spirit of continuous improvement with new powertrains coming in the next few years might be enough to help keep the LS fresh.

I'm now fairly confident that the LS+ concept was more of an early look at the direction of the 6LS than anything relating to 5LS. So far this generation, we've been expecting LS 600, LS 600h, LS F, LS hydrogen FCV and some production version of the LS+ concept. I think it's probably safe to say none of those things are going to happen now and all the goodies will be saved for a 6LS or 5.2LS.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly guys

For just 2 years refresh, it's good for me, especially tech wise and more chassis enhancement from the newly track, so this means that the LS is the second model in whole TMC to use this track for the handling enhancement

We all saw the next generation S class, which turned out to be a generic with current C front matched with Genesis, current E class rear matched with current Camry, and not pretty interior, so Lexus is safe for some more years to try to boost tech and handling more

Let's think of 5LS as the naked 6LS R&D, Lexus doing something new to the 5LS in every production year and then after 4 or 5 years they will give us total new sheet metal in and out

TurboLag

Fan
Reactions
The Air suspension is gone ?🤔

20200707_02_35_s.jpg

And will the Panoramic sunroof be available world wide ? ( now available in the North American market only )

Levi

Expert
Reactions
WTF is with all the stupid, baseless criticism?

Fyi it has independent rear seats for whoever claimed it didnt.

View attachment 4178

I know. While well made, they made the 4 seater in such a way that it can have an additional 5th seat. This was not the case with the 4LS, where the central tunnel console went all through the rear foot space.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think everyone except Tesla's using LIDAR at this point. Even iPads have it now for AR.

If the don't-call-it-L2 works and isn't extremely expensive this seems like a no-brainer upgrade for current LS drivers. Given the existing LSS is a long way towards it, I'd think it'll be relatively cheap, but who knows.

I don't even mind the bezel, but I'd prefer if it was like the current LS500, except more forward. So the top of the dash still goes over the screen.

Everyone wants to use LIDAR, but unless I dont know better, I think LS would be first production vehicle with it.

It is not going to be that cheap at all, it is a lot more expensive than using bunch of cameras and radar sensors.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I know. While well made, they made the 4 seater in such a way that it can have an additional 5th seat. This was not the case with the 4LS, where the central tunnel console went all through the rear foot space.

hows that better?

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I think it's best to view this as a Lexus LS Tech package rather than a refresh. I agree with Gecko as seeing this as stopgap. Also the LS600h is still possible going by the possibility of the IS500.

With the IS and LS update coming out of no where, is it safe to assume more of this unexpected news will be dropping from lexus?

Also I think the next set of lexus redesigned vehicles is what we should pay attention to

Reactions
I'm 100% sure that's what's happening. There's an NDA on the content of Lexus Advisory Board stuff so I can't cite specific things, but they've been asking about some pretty wild stuff in the last year or so.

I'm not sure if you follow the SupraMkV forums, but can you do an A70TTR-style emoji response instead? I don't think he's under a NDA though so I'm not sure if you can respond to this at all, but here goes...

When you say they've been asking about some pretty wild stuff, do you mean something like... a V8? Or an F?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'm not sure if you follow the SupraMkV forums, but can you do an A70TTR-style emoji response instead? I don't think he's under a NDA though so I'm not sure if you can respond to this at all, but here goes...

When you say they've been asking about some pretty wild stuff, do you mean something like... a V8? Or an F?

The previous post is as close as I want to get to that line because I'm pretty sure Lexus reads LE. Sorry!

D

DDas

WTF is with all the stupid, baseless criticism?

Fyi it has independent rear seats for whoever claimed it didnt.

View attachment 4178

The side sensors and front sensor are because this is an L2 self driving vehicle. Stop criticizing things you dont understand or are out of the loop on. The LCF being cancelled is a rumor. The new IS interior is not "the same" as it was before, unless you have magic access to sit inside it and tell for sure (my IS350 and RCF have the "same" interiors too, except not).

Good lord, there are communities online built to facilitate lazy discussion, this one has always struck me as one where people made an effort to be informed.
@ me next time. Thanks. I said what I said. Yes, it is the same. It's the same damn car with changed styles. I never said I didn't like this LS. I said it's disappointing. Please, don't twist my words. We all know Lexus can do better.

"Good lord, there are communities online built to facilitate lazy discussion, this one has always struck me as one where people made an effort to be informed" Don't call me lazy. I am stating facts. Whereas you're not.

"The side sensors and front sensor are because this is an L2 self driving vehicle. Stop criticizing things you don't understand or are out of the loop on" Interesting how I clearly asked what they are. Didn't know I had to be in the loop about it.

"The new IS interior is not "the same" as it was before, unless you have magic access to sit inside it and tell for sure" I am talking look wise. Oh, big whoop it has a new screen and new steering wheel. It's still the same fucking design.

"The LCF being cancelled is a rumor." Fair. But it's based on some true statements. Everything is leading to it being true like it or not.

I love how you think you're so big and bad but you couldn't even mention me. Call my criticism "baseless" and "stupid," yet your reply is childish, ignorant, and sheltered. Lexus is not where it used to be. Get over it. I have a right to say my opinion. Don't like it? Don't fucking read it.

Last edited by a moderator: