spwolf

Expert
Reactions
'Drive' is jumping to conclusion saying it will be the 2UR engine. 2UR engine is not a mass produced engine for large volumes. IS500 would be in-line with the LS500 sharing the same TT V6 with probably a slightly detuned engine making around 380 - 400 HP. That is what my guess is.

i dont really know which one would be better in this application? Probably V8?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Soooooo how long does it take from trademark status to putting it on the market. I mean we already have the engine ready right...so not too long...?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Soooooo how long does it take from trademark status to putting it on the market. I mean we already have the engine ready right...so not too long...?
There are no hard-and-fast rules. Most take as long as 2.5 years, but LS 460 was hastily filed after introducing the car. I'm hoping this one will be one of the fast ones trademark-to-production.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Interestingly, the new IS350 is slightly longer than my RCF and about 1 inch narrower in width.
'Drive' is jumping to conclusion saying it will be the 2UR engine. 2UR engine is not a mass produced engine for large volumes and probably have only 1 or 2 years left. IS500 would be in-line with the LS500 sharing the same TT V6 with probably a slightly detuned engine making around 380 - 400 HP. That is what my guess is.

Depends on the price point. If it is going to be a 472 HP 5.0 Liter V8, it would need beefed up suspension, chassis, brakes, cooling etc., but it will drive up the price to over $80+ K. But, then why not just call it ISF? I also heard someone say, the 2UR is too wide of an engine to fit in the IS engine bay.

If it is going to be a top trim level of the IS brand with F-sport treatment then TT V6 with 380 - 400 HP is what would make sense to compete with the BMW 340i, KIA Stinger GT, C43 AMG etc. Also like I said above, the 5.0 Liter V8 is on its way out because of emissions etc. I am assuming Lexus wants this new IS to be around till 2023 or so.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-06-30-lexus-is-500-rendering.jpg

Lexus has trademarked the IS 500 nameplate in the USA, opening the door for a high-powered variant of its updated sports sedan.
Rumors of an IS 500 first started in Japanese magazine MAG-X, which claimed Lexus would use their 2UR-GSE 5.0L V8 to create the spiritual successor to the original IS F. Motor Trend followed up with a report suggesting it would instead be powered by the LS 500’s 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6. Given the IS 500 nameplate over the IS F, the TTV6 seems a more likely option.
The enthusiast community has been unimpressed with the latest IS...

Continue reading...

D

DDas

Now, this is on the road to improvement! Excited to see what the IS500 is all about! May want one now...ugh. So many Lexus models I want. So little money.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Now, this is on the road to improvement! Excited to see what the IS500 is all about! May want one now...ugh. So many Lexus models I want. So little money.
I’m going to politely disagree with you on this. Not that many models I want but hopefully the near future that will change. I mean LF1, GX, and LX are needed ASAP! LCF yes LSF yes new NX RX lol I feel like we need a lot. ISF for the love of all that is holy where is it?? IS500 could be a good start to 2021 being a great year.
So little money 100% agree lol!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Lexus saw all that backlash from the reveal and did some last minute changes I see lol
That's not how it works. As I was telling @krew in an offline conversation, I think Lexus' original plan was to introduce the 2021 IS with the carryover powertrains at the 2020 New York Auto Show's original April date, and saving the IS 500 for the 2020 Los Angeles Auto Show in November. Thanks to COVID-19, the IS 300 / 350 unveiling was pushed back to June 15, and it's anybody's guess what will happen with the 2020 L.A. show.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
If this IS 500 sells relatively well, there could be a next generation, unlike the GS.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I'm 90% sure that the engine for the IS 500 will be the 3.5L TTV6 from the LS 500, maybe a little differently tuned. It doesn't make sense to use a historically F engine in a non-F car. The IS 500 is probably supposed to compete with the M340i, S4, and C43, all sports sedans that are a tad bit lower on the hierarchy than the full performance sedans like the M3, RS4, C63, (IS F), etc. So using an engine that is powerful compared to lower IS models but leaving some room for a potential IS F with a V8 or stronger TTV6 to shine makes most sense to me.

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
I'm actually thinking a detuned 5L v8...ive read/heard that the 3.5L TTV6 is a massive engine and barely fits the LS along with its 10speed auto. At least with the v8 we know that the platform can already take it along with the 8 speed auto. But I dunno. Either way is good. So long there is a model sitting about the 350!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Yay, now we know an IS 500, we still don't know which engine. Lexus loves keeping its fans in suspense.

If the IS 500 gets V6TT, could the IS F (if there is next gen IS) get in 3 years hybrid V6TT as some previous rumors?