krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-06-18-lexus-large-coupe.jpg

Not content to simply fuel rumors about the next-generation Lexus RC being built on a Mazda platform, Japanese magazine Best Car is reporting that a new Lexus coupe will be slotted into the lineup between the RC & LC — from the translated article:

It’s a stretch for customers to upgrade from RC to the LC, but by introducing a sports coupe to fill the gap, Lexus will be able to compete with the BMW 6 and Audi A7.
The FR platform and straight-6 engines will be adopted from Mazda. The new model will appear around 2022.

With the worldwide coupe market dwindling and competitors expected to pare down their current offerings, it would make zero sense for Lexus to expend their resources developing a third coupe.
(At this point, it’s unlikely even...

Continue reading...

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
I totally agree that another coupe would be surplus to requirements. Also, and I can’t stress this enough: I hope all this talk about platform and component sharing with other manufacturers is “fake news.” Lexus more than any other TMC products need to remain pure and undiluted.

JC1

Reactions
I would rather Lexus invest into a redesign GS instead of another coupe. Make the next gen GS have a Grand-Coupe 4 door sedan will be much better choice. Keep the ES and IS as a conventional 4 door sedan and make the GS a grand-coupe like the BMW 4 series grand-coupe/Audi A6 will give people more options in the Lexus lineup.

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
I’d love to see a five-door GS. Sports Sedan performance with a little extra practicality. I collect guitars, and a guitar in its case and shipping cardboard box you’ll have a very difficult time getting into the trunk of a conventional 4-door. I would definitely buy a 5-door GS.

D

DDas

I see where this article is getting out, but if Lexus wants to compete with the 6 Series (really the 8 series now) and the A7, then they should consider the old rumor of transforming the GS into a four-door "coupe," and then make a two-door coupe version of it like the 8 Series has. Butttttt overall, Lexus needs an F version of a crossover/SUV, a new and sportier IS (with a revival of the ISF), etc. before another coupe.

Hamed Al Ketbi

Founding Member
Reactions
I don't understand why would Lexus go for a 3rd coupe when both RC & LC doesn't even sell well. Ohh and with Mazda, NO THANKS (I do not support that). And if they want to collaborate with another automotive company, why don't they continue with BMW. As they did with the SUPRA? I mean Lexus has perfected the LC with their own work. Why go and make it with other automotive companies, at least take from the best. [Opinion]

Plus I would rather Lexus focus on making the GS to compete against the BMW 6-Series and the Audi A7 with a rear-wheel drive or four-wheel, since Lexus currently has the ES as their midsized sedan car with front wheel drive, which is not the best as a premium car. Of course unless they offer a four-wheel drive ES.

Also, it would've been better if they worked harder on the GX facelift like they did on the LX, rather than changing just the spindle grill. The GX has been in the market 9 years with not much changes. And for the Middle-Eastern market, it is just an expensive Prado.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
You guys can shoot me for saying this, but two things:

I think Lexus thought they had it all cleverly figured out by eliminating the GS, creating an F-Sport of the ES and then making the LS "sporty." I'm sure they thought they had their bases covered and the GS was redundant with such a plan. Well, a year and a half into it, we can pretty safely call the 5LS a flop, and IMO, that's due largely because they made a lot of compromises and didn't redesign it like a flagship car. I said originally and still will: The 5LS is more "GS" in execution than LS. It's what the 5GS should have been. If Lexus has any plans of adding another coupe to the lineup, it should have four doors, which brings me to my next point:

It seems to me like the "four door coupe" market is exploding.

A5
A7
Rumored 4 door version of the A9
4 Series
6 Series
8 Series
CLA
CLS
AMG GT 4 Door Coupe
Panamera
Coming baby Panamera

Then also...
GLC
GLE
X4
X6
Cayenne Coupe
Q8

Lexus could stand to do something here... you know... maybe ONE model?

People are still buying traditional sedans like the ES and 5 Series, but the models with actual growth are the 4 door coupes. I'm not sure Lexus' strategy of "Lets just give our sedans coupe greenhouses and kill two birds with one stone," has worked. The ES buyer still wants a traditional sedan. I think the LS buyer probably does too. I've been saying it for three years now, but the GS should be an ultra-dramatic, low slung model that's something like a four door LC. The LS should have been more upright and traditional (with better headroom). For a brand like Lexus that still has a fair amount of appeal to rather basic/pedestrian buyers, there's going to be a market for the traditional sedan... that's why ES and LS have done well. They need to stick to that... but also put some effort into this expanding 4 dour coupe market and bring the GS back.

(And no, I'm not stuck on resurrecting the "GS" name. Call it "HS" for all I care - just do it.)

Reactions
What if this new model to be for A5 where the next GS be for A7 ?

I'm pretty sure this midsize coupe was supposed to be in the form of a "GC". But seeing that they're neglecting the GS right now I don't believe this report.

You guys can shoot me for saying this, but two things:

I think Lexus thought they had it all cleverly figured out by eliminating the GS, creating an F-Sport of the ES and then making the LS "sporty." I'm sure they thought they had their bases covered and the GS was redundant with such a plan. Well, a year and a half into it, we can pretty safely call the 5LS a flop, and IMO, that's due largely because they made a lot of compromises and didn't redesign it like a flagship car. I said originally and still will: The 5LS is more "GS" in execution than LS. It's what the 5GS should have been. If Lexus has any plans of adding another coupe to the lineup, it should have four doors, which brings me to my next point:

It seems to me like the "four door coupe" market is exploding.

A5
A7
Rumored 4 door version of the A9
4 Series
6 Series
8 Series
CLA
CLS

Then also...
GLC
GLE
X4
X6
Cayenne Coupe
Q8

Lexus could stand to do something here... you know... maybe ONE model?

People are still buying traditional sedans like the ES and 5 Series, but the models with actual growth are the 4 door coupes. I'm not sure Lexus' strategy of "Lets just give our sedans coupe greenhouses and kill two birds with one stone," has worked. The ES buyer still wants a traditional sedan. I think the LS buyer probably does too. I've been saying it for three years now, but the GS should be an ultra-dramatic, low slung model that's something like a four door LC. The LS should have been more upright and traditional (with better headroom). For a brand like Lexus that still has a fair amount of appeal to rather basic/pedestrian buyers, there's going to be a market for the traditional sedan... that's why ES and LS have done well. They need to stick to that... but also put some effort into this expanding 4 dour coupe market and bring the GS back.

(And no, I'm not stuck on resurrecting the "GS" name. Call it "HS" for all I care - just do it.)

Honestly I feel like the LS is fine. It needs a LWB option, a V8, F model and boom you're good.

The GS needs to go upmarket like we've been asking. Let the ES take the place of the GS and the GS move even higher as a 4 door coupe. And advertise the car. Because neglecting it won't get you sales. You may remember I made a massive rant around a year ago when the ES was released, and it's that they're whoring the ES and RX but don't advertise their LX, GX and GS. Same thing for Toyota, when was the last time you have seen them advertising the Land Cruiser?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
LS is just a totally different car than what people expect when shopping for an LS, for better or worse. It definitely needs a V8, it needs a badass F model to finally give the platform and styling the guts they deserve, and an LWB model would be fine but wouldn't really help the headroom.

To your point, I think it's clear that Lexus has been planning to kill the GS for a long time. There was such minimal advertising support for the 4GS at all. Remember the 3GS 450h? Talk about a car that was born for advertising, and Lexus north america never ONCE ran ANY ad support for it. NEVER. The GS 450h beat the Panamera and M35h in a comparo - THE PANAMERA - and Lexus never cared enough to try to capitalize on that. They never promoted the 4GS 450h either. I've spelled out the timeline and neglect on this forum many times, but the writing was on the wall starting in 2006. Oh well.

Reactions
LS is just a totally different car than what people expect when shopping for an LS, for better or worse. It definitely needs a V8, it needs a badass F model to finally give the platform and styling the guts they deserve, and an LWB model would be fine but wouldn't really help the headroom.

To your point, I think it's clear that Lexus has been planning to kill the GS for a long time. There was such minimal advertising support for the 4GS at all. Remember the 3GS 450h? Talk about a car that was born for advertising, and Lexus north america never ONCE ran ANY ad support for it. NEVER. The GS 450h beat the Panamera and M35h in a comparo - THE PANAMERA - and Lexus never cared enough to try to capitalize on that. They never promoted the 4GS 450h either. I've spelled out the timeline and neglect on this forum many times, but the writing was on the wall starting in 2006. Oh well.

Interesting you note about the headroom, generally I've heard it's fine. But it does need more legroom that's for sure.

And regarding your second paragraph, that makes my blood boil. Anyone tell me why I shouldn't quit with this brand with exception of paying attention to the LS, LC and GS F? Mercedes-Benz and BMW cars are becoming more reliable day in and day out (they still have problems and I 100% admit that), and Porsche is literally perfect, just really expensive and their options are overpriced too. But you get so much with a Porsche so it's a tradeoff. I'm not crazy about EV's and strongly believe that hybrids are our future with our ICE and electric technology together can make such an impact without having the negatives. It's a best of both worlds, but I have been drooling over the Mercedes EQ C and the Porsche Mission-e (Taycan)/Porsche Mission-e Sport Turismo lately.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Gecko ,@F1 Silver Arrows
Agree on most of your views
And I always wanted the following
*Lexus must be a sporty premium luxury automaker
*All BOF models from Toyota & Lexus shall unified to create the Land Cruiser brand
*It's not good to always make Toyotas with cheap materials and cheap so that Lexus sold
*Toyota and Lexus shall compete with each other internally which gain most not killing one for the sake of the other

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
Judging from the design clues which has many similarities with their recently announced BEV lineup (grille design,slimmer headlights etc..), maybe it is a low volume BEV coupe to promote their SSB? Highly unlikely but more reasonable than another conventional model.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Lexus still needs to co-develop a sports car with Mitsubishi. This Platform will be spun off into the EVO 11 Sedan and the new Lexus Coupe. I kid, I kid. I'm still salty from the previous news.

Quick, somebody get in here and quote a metric that makes Mistubishi the best in the world at something.

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
They should develop BMW 6 and 8 series 4 door grand coupe competitors. As some people said above, we need a "sportback" GS to compete with A7 and 6 series gran coupe. We probably need a 4 door LC to compete with 8 series. But conventional sedan should not be the form factor of GS if there is a next generation. GS has always been only for some people who particularly like the car form factor and want some space and be sporty all at the same time. Gran coupe style best suit these needs. I will definitel be interested in a GS gran coupe high performance model.