Lexus GX 460 Spy Shots

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
This will be the third product in line up that is over 10 years old. I am not aware of a single German high volume model that's been alive for that long in last 20 years yet there are four Lexus models currently on sale that are well over 7 years old.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This will be the third product in line up that is over 10 years old. I am not aware of a single German high volume model that's been alive for that long in last 20 years yet there are four Lexus models currently on sale that are well over 7 years old.

tenor.gif

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I have to say, it's a pretty big turnoff seeing Toyota models enjoy more advanced technology and safety features than Lexus models (even years before). I love the brand, and the lineup has some compelling models, but it's hard to tell how much of a priority Lexus is for TMC.

On one hand, you have the LC, LS, the new global architecture, and a common theme of trying to innovate and develop compelling memorable vehicles, but then you see the (understandable) onslaught of minivans, CUVs, hatchbacks, which are very close to their down-market alternatives.

Now you're seeing Toyota models with some shared design elements with their upmarket brethren. I am not a fan at all of German manufacturers, but aside from a couple of models they currently have, unless they actually start bringing out some meaningful refreshes it's hard to be satisfied with these sorts of compromises given the competition.

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I kinda like it... even thought the front end looks too similar to the LX

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I kinda like it as well. Can't wait for the 2020 GX. I still like the four spoke steering wheel as I like to hold the wheel at 6 'o clock when I'm cruising down the freeway. With the three spoke steering wheel I'm forced to hold the wheel with both hands.

It's a great vehicle for what it is but has aged (aged well). I look forward to the 3GX.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
GX sales have been solid and with the new refresh in 2020 it should give an uptick in sales: roughly an additional 74,500 units estimated

2002 - 2,190
2003 - 31,376
2004 - 35,420
2005 - 34,339
2006 - 25,454
2007 - 23,035
2008 - 15,759
2009 - 6,235
2010 - 16,450
2011 - 11,609
2012 - 11,039
2013 - 12,136
2014 - 22,685
2015 - 25,212
2016 - 25,148
2017 - 27,190
2018 - 26,724
2019 - 7,215 YTD - January thru April, Projected 26,100
2020 - Projected 27,000
2021 - Projected 25,000
2022 - Projected 22,500
Total 359,216 + 74,500 = 433,716

Lexus should also bring in a 2 row GX as well which would be at a lower price point and have more cargo room than the 3 row GX. This would also increase sales as well.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Can you expand you statement with details? I've heard the grill will resemble the UX pattern

The headlights aren't like any newer Lexus; they generally keep the swoosh DRL offset or otherwise visually distinct from the main headlight. And what in the world is sticking out of the doors near the bottom?

Reactions
I honestly think this is just a tester vehicle where they fitted maybe some safety sensors and steering wheel onto an existing vehicle rather than being the full next generation refresh is going to look like. It doesn't make sense how it would have an old generation steering wheel (Newer than it had but still not the newest one being put on LC and beyond), the gauge cluster it had from 10 years ago with an awkwardly fitted newer than it had but still older than current gauge screen, and it's supposed to keep the 5+ year old 8th generation navigation?? This is like the craziest mix of tech I've seen in a Lexus lol - I doubt this is the final one we're looking at

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I honestly think this is just a tester vehicle where they fitted maybe some safety sensors and steering wheel onto an existing vehicle rather than being the full next generation refresh is going to look like. It doesn't make sense how it would have an old generation steering wheel (Newer than it had but still not the newest one being put on LC and beyond), the gauge cluster it had from 10 years ago with an awkwardly fitted newer than it had but still older than current gauge screen, and it's supposed to keep the 5+ year old 8th generation navigation?? This is like the craziest mix of tech I've seen in a Lexus lol - I doubt this is the final one we're looking at

There will be a refresh for 2020, before the all-new model in ~2022/2023 :)

Reactions
There will be a refresh for 2020, before the all-new model in ~2022/2023 :)

Yeah I suppose it could just be a refresh launching for model year 2020/2021 but if it launches with this mismatched set of technology and features sprawled from so many different generations I'd be a little surprised to be honest. I've never seen that kind of thing before on a Lexus, but I guess the GX has always broken the rules on that sort of thing, hah

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Yeah I suppose it could just be a refresh launching for model year 2020/2021 but if it launches with this mismatched set of technology and features sprawled from so many different generations I'd be a little surprised to be honest. I've never seen that kind of thing before on a Lexus, but I guess the GX has always broken the rules on that sort of thing, hah

If I've learned anything about Lexus over the last few years, it's to take spy pictures like this at face value and not try to infer what should or could be the case. So... yeah... I think this is our reality.

In full disclosure, I love the GX as a package and I don't think BOF vehicles need to change platforms and tech as often as unibody ones. The only thing the GX really needs is a new powertrain.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I kinda agree that it won't be a huge update. But I'd love to see new rims on the GX (LX look much better) and the tri lights. Some small details to make the outside look a little sportier and up to the times would be great.