Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Their market share in BoF is up, basically they are only company investing in wide-range of BoF products throughout the world. Nissan and Mitsu have given up already, and americans are mostly in america.

They are gaining sales in market segments they basically have monopoly on and that shouldn't be a surprise. The IMV platform is very well managed and I give credit to that.

But in a highly competitive market like USA they are not making gains on local players. You would think with their QDR and pickup boom Tundra would be selling in the range of over 200k per year but it's not. And they basically left a 300k per year international market untapped when they pulled the plug on the FJ gifting the Wrangler a free monopoly.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Agree on FJ point
They need to have a new generation from it honestly also a smaller version from it as the next bronco and baby bronco, also far from the BoF they need to have a new generation Venza

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Isn't the upcoming Toyota FT-4X Concept supposed to fill the FJ's void?

Toyota-FT-4X-Concept-front-three-quarter-02-1-e1492010437652.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think FT-4X will be unibody, 4 cylinder and C-HR-like in size, but have more off-road hardware.

So really, not like an FJ at all.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Oops that's more worst than I thought!!!
Honestly Toyota shall make it BoF , take the Rush wheel base it's stupid sturdy

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota promises a next-generation Land Cruiser is on its way
New body-on-frame SUV expected to go all V6 in the U.S.

On sale since the 2008 model year and facelifted twice in the interim, the Toyota Land Cruiser has lately begun rolling out the special editions. Last year we got the 2019 Lexus LX Inspiration, this year we got the 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition. This likely means a changing of the model guard is close, the 300-Series Land Cruiser on the horizon to replace the current 200-Series. When Motor Authority asked Toyota SVP Bill Fay about the U.S. getting the next generation, Fay replied, "We are fully committed to the Land Cruiser for the foreseeable future."

The reason for the question could have been Land Cruiser sales figures for the past 14 years, when the model never cleared 5,000 units. The swankier Lexus LX sibling sells in greater numbers, but even lumping the two trucks, they've crested 10,000 sales just twice since 2005. On top of that, two of the largest regional markets for the Land Cruiser are Australia and the Middle East, which have different regulatory regimes, and the 2019 Highlander has a three-row option.

Why carry on with the Land Cruiser here? Fay told MA the body-on-frame bruiser is a "heritage vehicle," a staple in the U.S. lineup since 1958.

But the Cruiser that comes next is expected to LS-ify its powertrain formula, which means getting rid of V8s for V6s. The 5.7-liter V8 with 381 horsepower, 401 pound-feet of torque, and an EPA rating of 15 miles per gallon combined should go away. The 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 in the Lexus LS 500 gets the nod to take its place, as the Land Cruiser make concessions to fuel economy and emissions standards. A poster on a forum said it's possible that a Dynamic Force version of that engine might appear. As is, that engine makes 416 hp and 442 lb-ft in the luxury sedan and is mated to a 10-speed automatic, the same transmission said to replace the current eight-speed in the Land Cruiser. Automotive mediums predict a hybrid Cruiser, too, potentially with the same 3.5-liter naturally aspirated V6 and 10-speed auto in the LS hybrid, putting out 354 combined horsepower in the sedan.

Because there are so many Land Cruiser versions around the world, it's impossible to say whether V8 options will die globally. Land Cruiser fans, either through desperation or good intel, say that isn't the case. For instance, another forum poster said the 3.5-liter TT V6 and NA V6 would replace two V8s and a V6 we don't get here, but that the "Top V8 will get a new V8 not replaced with 3.5 V6." Diesel's certain to live on overseas as well, and with a Toyota engineer once stating that the Land Cruiser was designed to survive 25 years of of service in a Third World country, simple and robust options must remain on the menu. An Australian report said the "more agricultural 70 Series ... Land Cruiser ute, wagon and TroopCarrier derivatives are likely to solider on unchanged for the foreseeable future."

A Japanese report laid out dimensions for the 300 Series, which barely deviate from the current truck. The new ladder-frame chassis is said to underpin an SUV that's 194.8 inches long, 77.9 inches wide, and 75.6 inches high, on a 112.2-inch wheelbase. That means a vehicle just 1.6 inches taller and 0.1 inches shorter in length than the one we have now.

Sleeker lines, LED headlights, a lot more technology, and more differentiation between the Land Cruiser and the LX are said to be coming. Toyota Safety Sense and a new infotainment system seem a given, perhaps with the 12.3-inch screen. We could get a preview of the model at this year's Tokyo Motor Show. Production is said to commence for the Land Cruiser in mid-2020 as a 2021 model year, the LX following a year later in 2022.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/22/toyota-land-cruiser-next-generation/

I'm beginning to doubt the 3rd gen Tundra will get a V8 option.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly nothing to worry as I have been told those info and wrote it here, the V8 not died it just won't reach USA inside the 300 sieres , but it will be definitely inside the luxury LX , the large Seqouia and the truck Tundra as part of differentiation, the GX won't get the V8 though

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@maiaramdan

So you're saying:

Next gen V8:
LX
Tundra
Sequoia

V35A-FTS:
Land Cruiser
Maybe: GX?
Maybe: 4Runner?

Some other turbo 4 or V6:
4Runner
Tacoma
Hilux

If anything, I think Land Cruiser should have the V8 and the Sequoia should get the TT V6. I guess we need more applications of the V35A-FTS to determine how suitable it really is as a V8 replacement. So far, we've been comparing it to Mercedes and BMW's boosted V8s (per Lexus' advice) and it hasn't really compared favorably with them. Trucks are a bit of a different beast... but competition is also making lots of power there too. One thing that bothers me is I haven't find V35A-FTS to be as smooth as a V8, and IMO, LX and Land Cruiser should maintain superior levels of NVH.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@maiaramdan

So you're saying:

Next gen V8:
LX
Tundra
Sequoia

V35A-FTS / Some other turbo 4 or V6:

Land Cruiser
Maybe: GX?
Maybe: 4Runner?

Yes but that's only in NA

In Gulf Area/ Australia & Russia you can get the Land Cruiser 300 with V8 also

That's so far what I know from russian dealer

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have no idea why they would cut NA out of the V8 game. It makes no sense to me.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The 'forum posts' they referenced is this one...so we are recycling information we created in the first place. Always funny to see a high profile media would use random forum speculations as a credible source.

Reactions
Curious to know if the new grill for 2020 means all-speed radar cruise control. That's one of the biggest setbacks for the Land Cruiser. The LX has it so I don't see why it would be difficult to add it to the cruiser.

2020-toyota-land-cruiser-heritage-edition-1.jpg

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The 'forum posts' they referenced is this one...so we are recycling information we created in the first place. Always funny to see a high profile media would use random forum speculations as a credible source.

I said from the beginning that I even didn't want to say it, it's just info I told it to our own community

If it's right it will be fine
If wrong no mess happened

The guy was credible with me in 2 or 3 things before, nothing is absolute

But so far the V8 will be ditched for north America and the V6 will replace it

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Is TJ Cruiser supposed to compete with like the Transit Connect and Promaster offerings? I can't figure out where this thing fits in.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So the FT will fit exactly where the Innova is fitting right now

Innova is the minivan of the Fortuner which is the SUV of the Hilux

So either the 3 will come with a more rugged style or that will be an all new model

But if the FT is totally new minivan it may need a regular SUV with it, maybe this means we will see another FJ in the near future

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Is TJ Cruiser supposed to compete with like the Transit Connect and ProMaster City offerings? I can't figure out where this thing fits in.
That, precisely, may be the point. Although Toyota is often criticized for being stodgy and unimaginative, they have, in fact launched several vehicle segments in the past quarter-century:

- First crossover SUV (Toyota RAV4 - 1994)
- First luxury crossover SUV (Lexus RX - 1998)
- Arguably, the first "box car" tall 5-door hatchback (Toyota bB/Scion xB - 2000)

Might Tj Cruiser, as a sliding-door minivan/crossover mashup, be the fourth? Well, the Toyota Global Newsroom release in advance of the concept's debut at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show describes it as "the birth of a new van and SUV fusion genre":
https://global.toyota/en/detail/19008721

The specs in the BestCarWeb article generally parrot those in the original news release, while adding a couple that sound feasible. Here they are:

Total length: 4300 mm (169.3")
Overall width: 1775 mm (69.9")
Total height: 1620 mm (63.8")
Wheelbase: 2750 mm (108.3")
Vehicle weight: 1500kg (3307 lbs)
Engine: Straight 4 DOHC + Motor displacement: 1998cc
Engine power: 145ps / 19.0kgm
System output: 180ps
(engine specs seem to match the Lexus UX 250h's M20A-FXS unit)
Seating capacity: 4
Use of the next-generation TNGA platform expected.

The BestCarWeb article (as Google Translated) says that the Tj Cruiser "is surprisingly small, about 4300mm in length and Honda Vezel." The Honda Vezel is the JDM badging for the HR-V. The size comparison is apt, as the Tj is a scant 5mm (0.2") longer than the HR-V. Crazy how the Tj looks so much longer than that. By comparison, the Ram ProMaster City is 4390 mm (172.8") long and the SWB Ford Transit Connect is 173.9" (4420 mm) long.

So the Tj will fit exactly where the Innova is fitting right now

Innova is the minivan of the Fortuner which is the SUV of the Hilux

So either the 3 will come with a more rugged style or that will be an all new model

But if the FT is totally new minivan it may need a regular SUV with it, maybe this means we will see another FJ in the near future

Given the above info, a production Tj Cruiser appears to be something that would sit on either the TNGA-C or TNGA-K FWD-centric, transverse-engine unibody platforms, as opposed to the body-on-frame RWD-centric and longitudinal-engine IMV platform that underpins Hilux, Innova and Fortuner.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Total length: 4300 mm (169.3")
Overall width: 1775 mm (69.9")
Total height: 1620 mm (63.8")
Wheelbase: 2750 mm (108.3")
Vehicle weight: 1500kg (3307 lbs)
Engine: Straight 4 DOHC + Motor displacement: 1998cc
Engine power: 145ps / 19.0kgm
System output: 180ps
(engine specs seem to match the Lexus UX 250h's M20A-FXS unit)
Seating capacity: 4
Use of the next-generation TNGA platform expected.

Given the above info, a production Tj Cruiser appears to be something that would sit on either the TNGA-C or TNGA-K FWD-centric, transverse-engine unibody platforms, as opposed to the body-on-frame RWD-centric and longitudinal-engine IMV platform that underpins Hilux, Innova and Fortuner.

wow
I didn't thought it's that small, it didn't look at all, that said then you are right at it will definitely used GA-C

Now all my dreams are gone through