Toyota ceases production of Mark X

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota announced that it will cease production of Mark X in December 2019. Mark II started as a family car and evolved to FR luxury sport sedan. After renaming to Mark X in 2004, sedan has seen one model change and various facelifts. Its over 50-year journey will end as 250S Final edition which starts around 3.33m ¥.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6321415
This is definitely part of Toyota strategy not to have same kind of luxury sedans in TMC line-up. If there is going to be next gen GS it won't be offered in Japan.
RIP Mark II/X 1968-2019

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Was there a rumor that Avalon would replace it...?
I don't think Avalon would replace it. Avalon is same size as Crown. Besides Avalon has FF layout. If something would replace Mark X it would be the EV sedan we heard about. Maybe it will be called Mark E :)

Motor

Expert
Reactions
63997b2d-toyota-mark-x-production-ending-14.jpg

f5c629e8-toyota-mark-x-production-ending-2.jpg

Forbidden fruit America never got to sample.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So is Toyota pretty much done with the midsize RWD market now? I assume TNGA-K (FWD) has taken over that space?

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
^^ Crown is still very relevant. We can't say goodbye to the GS yet. It does appear though that Toyota is getting rid of RWD sport sedans so Lexus can have that market. Which is why I am curious about the GS' future.
ES is more like A6 competitor. GS stands against 5 and E. And it's not expensive to convert Crown to GS. After all GS is Crown's export model.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
^^ Crown is still very relevant. We can't say goodbye to the GS yet. It does appear though that Toyota is getting rid of RWD sport sedans so Lexus can have that market. Which is why I am curious about the GS' future.

@Gecko,

What if they deleted the Mark-X to give space to the IS / GS and the rumoured sedan on the next generation GT86 ?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Did a quick search in Japanese to find what's the fastest ever Mark II/X made. Turns out it's still the JZX100. With that VVT 1JZ-GTE and a tall 4AT it did 0-100 km/h in 4.6s which by the way is still the third fastest japanese sedan after the GS-F and IS-F (not counting some rare limited edition EVO/STI).

Reactions
Did a quick search in Japanese to find what's the fastest ever Mark II/X made. Turns out it's still the JZX100. With that VVT 1JZ-GTE and a tall 4AT it did 0-100 km/h in 4.6s which by the way is still the third fastest japanese sedan after the GS-F and IS-F (not counting some rare limited edition EVO/STI).

I love that god damn car. The JZX100 Mark II Grande is one of Toyotas most legendary cars of all time. Chaser is an important one as well. A huge shame we never got those beauties.

EDIT: Here's a sexy photo of it.

1996-1998_Toyota_Mark_II.jpg

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The crazy thing is that it still looks modern and fresh more than a lot of current Toyota designs :(:(:(. Toyota need to build them again with modern design just based on the same design concept maybe short boot, larger wheels, larger wheel arches, modern mirror on the door, up the door handle position little bit, modernization of the rear and front fascia

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's the true sleeper. Even in stock form it will win a drag race against the C43 AMG and the M3 E36 and probably on par with the RS2 Avant. Not to mention all the untapped horsepower in that iron block. Meanwhile it has a CD-ROM GPS Satnav and TV...in 1996.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
If an automatic version is that quick wouldn't the 5 speed manual version be even faster? The Chaser Tourer V is my personal favourite out of the triplets, obviously with a manual transmission and a Torsen LSD.

Gonna see if any good examples of the JZX100 Chaser Tourer V pop up at Japanese car auctions lol.