2020 Subaru Outback

Motor

Expert
Reactions
SUBARU TO DEBUT ALL-NEW 2020 OUTBACK AT NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
Subaru of America, Inc. announced today that it will reveal the all-new 2020 Outback at the New York International Auto Show on April 17th at 11:15 a.m. ET.
http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1423/1/subaru-debut-all-new-2020-outback-new-York
435bcea6-2020-subaru-outback-teaser-ny-1.jpeg

Now more rugged.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'll be curious to see if it's more SUV like, or still "raised wagon."

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I am guessing it will still be a raised wagon. I have always been a fan of the Outback but I would be hesitant with the recent quality issues they have been experiencing. Still will be nice to see the redesign.

Reactions
I'll be curious to see if it's more SUV like, or still "raised wagon."

I'm curious about this too. Funny... I referenced the Outback in the other thread. Ironically... I don't think I'd have bought an RX if I hadn't test-driven an Outback 3.6L... I was shopping for cars for Mom... and I ended up asking the sales guy how he felt about selling TWO of them. The whole experience driving the Outback (not the 4, the 3.6l 6)... was really fun.

One of the biggest reasons I didn't go with the Subaru, is I'm not a fan of the "station wagon" look... but they are downright cheap for what you get. AWD, beautiful leather interior, well-integrated infotainment system *don't know if it's good, but it LOOKS good*)... etc. etc. for just over $34K negotiated down from just under $39K... seemed like a bargain compared to anything else I was considering.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
I am hoping that Subaru sticks with the raised wagon look with this next generation, as the Forester and Ascent have the more traditional crossover look covered.

My wife and I looked at the 2019 Outback Touring, both 4 and 6 cylinder models, but ultimately went with the ‘19 Forester Touring. We like that the Forester offers Subaru’s latest generation safety features and that it is built on their new global architecture. Not to mention the fuel economy is outstanding, although not as good as our UX 250h.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
SUBARU DEBUTS ALL-NEW SIXTH-GENERATION 2020 OUTBACK AT NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1422/1/subaru-debuts-all-new-sixth-generation-2020-outback
  • Safest, most capable Outback ever
  • New XT models with 260-horsepower 2.4-liter turbocharged BOXER engine
  • Debut of Onyx Edition XT trim level with unique exterior and interior
  • Tablet-style high-definition SUBARU STARLINK 11.6-inch touchscreen
  • New Hands-Free Power Gate
  • Available segment-exclusive DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation System
  • Standard EyeSight Driver Assist Technology with Advanced Adaptive Cruise Control and new Lane Centering
Subaru of America today introduced the all-new 2020 Outback offering the most advanced features, design and capability in its history. The sixth-generation SUV comes standard with Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and Subaru’s award-winning EyeSight Driver Assist Technology. With an available tablet-style 11.6-inch SUBARU STARLINK™ Multimedia system with integrated center information display, DriverFocus™ Distraction Mitigation System and new XT models with 260 horsepower, the 2020 Outback delivers greater technology, safety and performance than ever before.

Built on the Subaru Global Platform, which provides increased safety, dynamics and quietness as well as reduced noise, vibration and harshness (NVH), the Outback will be available in Base, Premium, Limited, Touring, Onyx Edition XT, Limited XT and Touring XT models.

PERFORMANCE AND CAPABILITY
The 2020 Outback delivers the optimal blend of SUV capability and car-like ride and handling with standard Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, Active Torque Vectoring, Vehicle Dynamics Control and X-MODE with Hill Descent Control. The 8.7 inches of ground clearance for all Outback models is greater than that in many SUVs, yet the Outback maintains a comfortably low step-in height for both front and rear passenger entry.

For the first time since 2009, the Outback lineup offers a turbocharged engine. Standard on XT models, the 2.4-liter turbocharged BOXER engine delivers robust all-around performance with 260 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 277 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm. Meanwhile, the standard naturally aspirated 2.5-liter BOXER, with direct injection and nearly 90 percent of its parts new, delivers 182 horsepower at 5,800 rpm and 176 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm.

All 2020 Outback models are paired with a Lineartronic CVT featuring an 8-speed manual mode function with steering wheel paddle shifters. The 2.4-liter turbo delivers a 3,500-lb. towing capacity, the most of any Outback in history, while the 2.5-liter provides more than a 600-mile range on a single tank. Manufacturer’s estimated fuel economy is 26/33 mpg city/highway for the 2.5-liter and 23/30 mpg city/highway for the turbo.

Complementing the more refined powertrains is an all-new suspension that is lighter and more responsive. The front suspension utilizes MacPherson struts with new internal rebound spring, aluminum lower L-arms and new 23mm hollow stabilizer bar. The rear suspension renders a double-wishbone layout with subframe, coil springs and new 19mm hollow stabilizer bar.

STRUCTURE AND SAFETY
Introduced for 2017, the Subaru Global Platform has been optimized for the Outback, boasting a structure that is 70-percent stiffer in both torsional and front-suspension rigidity and 100-percent stiffer in both front lateral flexural and rear subframe rigidity compared to the previous Outback’s platform. Crash protection is improved, as the new body absorbs over 40-percent more energy in front/side crashes than the current model. When a crash is unavoidable, the Outback protects with eight standard airbags, including a driver knee airbag. Subaru expects the Outback to achieve top safety scores when it is tested later this year, including a Top Safety Pick+ rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

Standard on all trims is Subaru’s EyeSight Driver Assist Technology that now includes Advanced Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Centering, which provides steering assist when the vehicle veers outside its lane, helping the driver maintain a direct path. Segment-exclusive DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation System uses a dedicated infrared camera and facial recognition technology to identify signs of driver fatigue or distraction and provides audio and visual warnings to alert the driver and passengers. Additional available driver-assist technologies include LED Steering Responsive Headlamps; Reverse Automatic Braking; Blind Spot Detection with Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Alert; and EyeSight Assist Monitor with head-up display.

In another Outback first, the 2020 model offers a Front View Monitor, which captures images within the driver’s blind spots in front of the vehicle and displays a 180-degree view on the 11.6-inch display, providing safety and assistance when checking road conditions ahead or parking.

ONYX EDITION
The new 2020 Onyx Edition XT features black-finish exterior elements, 18-inch alloy wheels and badging, and an exclusive gray two-tone interior. Further, the seats are wrapped in a new water-repellant durable StarTex™ material. The Onyx Edition XT builds on the Premium trim and adds the 2.4-liter turbo BOXER, Hands-Free Power Gate, Front View Monitor and, for increased capability in a wider range of environmental conditions, exclusive Dual-Mode X-MODE and full-size spare tire.

COMFORT AND VERSATILITY
The 2020 Outback offers a peaceful cabin that is almost 3 dB quieter at highway speeds. Subaru engineers worked extensively to find ways to reduce unwanted noise coming into the cabin, fitting the Outback with new door weather strips that feature a baffle in the mid-section and dual lips on the roof side for improved quietness. Sound-insulated glass, which uses a sound-insulating inner film for the windshield and front-door glass, has been adopted, while glass thickness all around has been increased for quietness.

Limited and Touring models feature 10-way power front seats with lumbar support, adjustable cushion length (driver only) and heated front/rear seats. For 2020, seat heaters come with three levels of temperature adjustment as well as extended coverage up to the shoulders for improved comfort. Touring models add ventilated front seats and a heated steering wheel to their roster of standard features. Comfort and convenience in the Outback have been optimized for passengers with increases in rear head, shoulder and leg room. For powering and pairing personal devices, up to four USB ports and two 12-volt DC power sockets are available.

With a cargo floor length of 78 inches with the rear seatbacks folded, the 2020 Outback offers up to 75.7 cu ft of cargo space. And with a wider rear gate opening, the Outback can comfortably accommodate long items such as camping gear, golf clubs or strollers. For added convenience while loading the vehicle, a new Hands-Free Power Gate allows the owner to open the rear gate by simply waving in front of the Subaru emblem (positioned in the center of the rear gate) as well as a new single-touch lifting cargo cover. Both features are a first for Subaru and are standard on most 2020 Outback models. For additional cargo versatility, the Outback offers standard roof rails with integrated and retractable cross bars and tie-downs.

BOLD DESIGN
Following a “Dynamic x Solid” philosophy, the all-new Outback is anchored to an “Active x Tough” concept. The result is a rugged and functional design that inspires wanderlust and enables active lifestyles. The 2020 Outback projects a large presence from thicker profile panel surfaces and raised rear gate as well as a sense of speed from its dynamic silhouette. Wider fenders, large hexagonal grille, front cladding and LED fog lights on the corners (standard on all trims except Base) emphasize the SUV’s capability. Cladding on the side of the Outback is meant to resemble a hiking boot that further enhances this concept.

The interior design uses a widened windshield and long lines from the center of the instrument panel to the door panels to create an open environment. The Outback Touring leverages luxurious appointments inside and out, including Nappa leather, high-gloss black molding for the pillars, chrome plating decorated door handles and satin tone plated side mirrors.
2020-subaru-outback-001.jpg

Not bad.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
These things now clog the roads...

Absolutely. Outbacks sell like beer at Happy Hour. And there is a reason for that (I know.....I had one). It is arguably the best snow car on the market....virtually nothing stops it in the winter. Like with its brother Forester, you can easily see out of it, because you don't have styling gimmicks to block outward vision. It is affordable for many people. It is reasonably reliable, though there have been a few issues over the years. And the U.S. Ski team wouldn't have chosen it as its official vehicle for nothing.

Reactions
Absolutely. Outbacks sell like beer at Happy Hour. And there is a reason for that (I know.....I had one). It is arguably the best snow car on the market....virtually nothing stops it in the winter. Like with its brother Forester, you can easily see out of it, because you don't have styling gimmicks to block outward vision. It is affordable for many people. It is reasonably reliable, though there have been a few issues over the years. And the U.S. Ski team wouldn't have chosen it as its official vehicle for nothing.

I see these things literally everywhere. It's no surprise because they nailed the key things that a buyer of this class of car is going to need (and you eloquently mentioned quite a lot of their core competencies). I haven't heard much on the reliability end with these new cars, but the older ones were absolutely solid.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
Although I have never owned an Outback, we are now on our third Subaru, a 2019 Forester Touring. The Forester serves as our family car. This is the vehicle we drive to vacation destinations, use for trips to Lowe’s, Home Depot, and the grocery store. I have often referred to our Subarus as the Swiss Army car. They serve multiple purposes while being safe, reliable, economical (fairly low cost of ownership), and more than capable of handling any weather my part of the country can throw at it. My point is that Subaru has been quite successful at communicating these attributes and is why the Outback sells.

When looking for a new vehicle to fulfill our needs, we did not even test drive other makes. Sure, I researched other makes on paper, but our search was limited to the Ascent, Forester, and Outback because we knew that Subaru offered a vehicle within their portfolio that would meet our family’s needs. In the end, the Forester seemed to be the best fit.

No, I do not work for Subaru. Just making an attempt to explain why the Outback is so popular.

Rob

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I definitely can see the appeal. I am actually eyeing up a 2020 Legacy XT. I had a 16 Limited. My reasons for buying that was for Subaru's known quality and reliability, the AWD, and the overall comfort of the vehicle. I ended up selling it a year later, because I had several electrical issues that some may consider minor, however the way the dealer and Subaru handled it left me pretty upset. As I am back in the hunt for a new 4 door sedan I am drawn to the Legacy once again. My top three are the Toyota Camry, Mazda6, and Legacy. All have their pluses and minuses however the Subaru has two things that give it a leg up over the others. Number one being AWD, I don't need snow tires but with the occasional snow storms, AWD would be a nice benefit. I wish more car makers would have AWD optional on their sedans. Secondly would be the eyesight system. I could do with out all the extra sensing and driving "assistance" features but its basically standard across the board now, so the nice thing is Subaru's system is all enclosed behind the windshield which means its out of the elements. So when driving in snow or heavy rain the radar isn't obstructed, and it is also protected from the occasional flying debris. My luck, if in the Camry or Mazda, I would get a rock chip right in the radar... I can't even imagine what that would cost.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I wish more car makers would have AWD optional on their sedans.

Thanks for your response. With this current craze in crossover SUVs, the main issue with sedans is simply keeping them in production, period (never mind AWD). The Bozos in Ford and GM marketing have all but given up on sedans (except for the upcoming Cadillac CT4/CT5)....and other manufacturers also seem to be moving in that direction.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
AWD is the future with modular platforms the industry is switching to out of the gate. Now how the AWD setup works is a whole different discussion since nowdays traditional gearing can be left out by switching to a hybrid setup such as the current RX. The Outback is a stellar choice for most folks. Its got the elevated wagon stance, awd, and safety standard that needs no intro. I think the interior needed a refresh, and they went Volvo interior screen wise which is excellent. I think their marketing team is probably one of the most clever out there, and the constant reminder of the only make to offer awd standard has paid dividends. They also make some fun niche vehicles so always a plus. The good become better in this case.

-----------
^@MM bozos is funny. I think theyre doing whats best for their bottom line unfortunately in the short term. One order of business is usually rather shelve a new platform that needs sales assistance then invest into it. I also assume GM and Ford have their platforms in ready shape (not instant) if and when they decide the market needs a sedan.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
^@MM bozos is funny. think theyre doing whats best for their bottom line unfortunately in the short term.
Yes and no. It is, unfortunately, dishonest. I don't want to drag the thread too far off-topic, but, as I see it, GM and Ford are dropping their sedans NOT because the market for them is actually drying up (although sales are in fact, down some), but because they simply make more per unit on SUVs and trucks. What they are doing, IMO, is unscrupulous, as it is an attempt to physically force sedan-buyers (in some cases against their will) out of cars and into SUVs by simply not giving them a choice any more. They use the excuse (in public) that they can't sell sedan anymore, when, in fact, there are still a number of buyers who still want them. The burgeoning sales of SUVs, and particularly crossovers, proves that, sadly, this unscrupulous attempt is working.

Last edited: