Expert
Reactions
2e11bd632763dedc9f80bbb4b8a0e91a.jpg

874ae3ffdd5bcd11440fb7cd5421241d1.jpg

e0f3ad617a4d9baf22a8b982ece6a401.jpg

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
I know I am not going to make many friends here with my comment.... but, I think Lexus needs to get the IS replacement out as fast as possible. The current car is not competitive with the A4, 3 series, C Class etc.... all the magazines call this out. Even consumer reports is not a fan. Car and Driver has the IS as the 10th best car in the class. This is one of the reasons why the sales numbers are decreasing, along with the illogical shift to SUVs. Waiting until 2020 seems like a mistake. Let's see what the sales numbers are the next couple of years with this model....

I agree weight reduction should be a priority in the next model, I also feel a major interior upgrade is in order as well.
I agree in particular with an interior upgrade, the Lexus lags behind the Audi especially, also believe a new model is almost overdue and is needed sooner rather than later.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I really wonder when this car is actually going to drop. So much back and forth on 2019, 2020, 2021, etc. Next year as 2020 would be great.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I really wonder when this car is actually going to drop. So much back and forth on 2019, 2020, 2021, etc. Next year as 2020 would be great.
Information previously posted on these forums by Carmaker1 suggests that 4IS enters production in July 2020 for a 2021 model year launch. A gut feeling tells me it'll echo the 2IS launch strategy of March/April 2020 auto show unveilings. That means Geneva, New York and Beijing show debuts for World/Europe, North America and Asia, respectively.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Information previously posted on these forums by Carmaker1 suggests that 4IS enters production in July 2020 for a 2021 model year launch. A gut feeling tells me it'll echo the 2IS launch strategy of March/April 2020 auto show unveilings. That means Geneva, New York and Beijing show debuts for World/Europe, North America and Asia, respectively.

I hope we'll be able to get more substantial rumors before that date. What's the likelihood of that happening with Lexus with respect to 'concrete' leaks of engine options, platform (almost certainly going to be TNGA), transmission specs, etc?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I hope we'll be able to get more substantial rumors before that date. What's the likelihood of that happening with Lexus with respect to 'concrete' leaks of engine options, platform (almost certainly going to be TNGA), transmission specs, etc?

not that likely soon since most of Japanese sales should be 300h which is kind of already known, few hp up or down dont matter... i guess they might publish IS500 info? But around year before release.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
I think you're right. The sedan got cancelled but the coupe lives on.
Well the coupe only lives on till end of its cycle (2019) since that came out a year later than the sedan but... Yeah I think they're going to merge the CTS and ATS to make a "CT5" model. I have a feeling Lexus is going the same way with IS/GS. We'll wait and see. Lexus seems really tight lipped about the IS though which is making me nervous about the IS' future.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
I think the Lexus range though interesting is kind of lopsided - and the cause really is the ES range. In South Africa the base ES is less expensive than the IS and comes with a 2.5 litre four cylinder front drive and appears to offer very good value. However, it is viewed as a Camry in drag. On the other hand, the ES 300h is vastly more expensive and Hybrids have not yet caught the imagination of the South African public.

Resale value also remain problematic which is surprising as Toyotas have the best resale value here bar none.

This I suspect is due to the Lexus brand being relatively new and unknown and many folk do not realise that it is made by Toyota.

Looking forward to the new IS and the arrival of the UX which should sell well out here. Great pity the CT was not offered with an alternative power train. The Hybrid version made it expensive compared to a BMW 1-Series, for example.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think the Lexus range though interesting is kind of lopsided - and the cause really is the ES range. In South Africa the base ES is less expensive than the IS and comes with a 2.5 litre four cylinder front drive and appears to offer very good value. However, it is viewed as a Camry in drag. On the other hand, the ES 300h is vastly more expensive and Hybrids have not yet caught the imagination of the South African public.

Resale value also remain problematic which is surprising as Toyotas have the best resale value here bar none.

This I suspect is due to the Lexus brand being relatively new and unknown and many folk do not realise that it is made by Toyota.

Looking forward to the new IS and the arrival of the UX which should sell well out here. Great pity the CT was not offered with an alternative power train. The Hybrid version made it expensive compared to a BMW 1-Series, for example.

residual value is because they start very expensive... same as Audi/BMW/MB.

As to the ES, at least it is cheaper than IS for you... for us there in Europe, ES300h is $10k more expensive than IS300h, depending on taxes.

Will1991

Reactions
residual value is because they start very expensive... same as Audi/BMW/MB.

As to the ES, at least it is cheaper than IS for you... for us there in Europe, ES300h is $10k more expensive than IS300h, depending on taxes.

Here in Portugal base IS300h vs base ES300h, second one is almost +20.000€ :sob:

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
And maybe bring back real leather too.
I'll never understand why Lexus (Luxury Exportation for United States) denies their reference market luxurious features like these, something you would expect from a premium car.

I mean, here in Italy where Lexus are rare things we can have real leather as standard on higher trims or optional on every single model, also NuLuxe simply doesn't exist or equips only one specific high value for money trim per model (for example the so called limited edition/sport edition/black street/etc..) since it is replaced by "Tahara leather" (fake leather). Maybe it's NuLuxe with another name after all.

What I definitely understand is that Toyota makes insane and unexplicable choices even outside Europe, so I feel kind of relieved. :laughing:

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'll never understand why Lexus (Luxury Exportation for United States) denies their reference market luxurious features like these, something you would expect from a premium car.

I mean, here in Italy where Lexus are rare things we can have real leather as standard on higher trims or optional on every single model, also NuLuxe simply doesn't exist or equips only one specific high value for money trim per model (for example the so called limited edition/sport edition/black street/etc..) since it is replaced by "Tahara leather" (fake leather). Maybe it's NuLuxe with another name after all.

What I definitely understand is that Toyota makes insane and unexplicable choices even outside Europe, so I feel kind of relieved. :laughing:

Tahara = NuLuxe.

Status
Not open for further replies.