Next-Generation Lexus IS F in 2022?

Reactions
IS F is very possible to get built however for the next cycle. I am perplexed as to why they ditched it for this generation. An F would have been cool. Just make the GS F more powerful (120hp/L -> it's still very reliable) and all of it would have been perfect.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
My dream 4IS lineup:

Entry level: Is300/IS240T -either the current model with some engine tweaks like a modest 5-10 hp bump in power or that 240T with around 280hp. (don't really care as I don't usually buy this model )

Midlevel: IS350-with this TTV6 detuned to say 390hp to maybe 400hp

Top level F model TTV6 making 500hp.

I would definitely buy the F.

I know dreaming but I think this is possible. With Lexus though we'll be lucky to get an F model at all.

It's like

300hp entry
400hp mid
500hp F

I still have hope for next generation GS even as 4 doors coupe

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
My dream 4IS lineup:

Entry level: Is300/IS240T -either the current model with some engine tweaks like a modest 5-10 hp bump in power or that 240T with around 280hp. (don't really care as I don't usually buy this model )

Midlevel: IS350-with this TTV6 detuned to say 390hp to maybe 400hp

Top level F model TTV6 making 500hp.

I would definitely buy the F.

I know dreaming but I think this is possible. With Lexus though we'll be lucky to get an F model at all.
I have been saying this for a long time. Pretty much would directly compete with the 3 -Series. One small change I would make changes to the Mid-level model designation to IS 400 to better reflect the engine changes and also make it clear that it is a competitor to the 340i.

Will1991

Reactions
You're forgetting Europe, where the IS300h powertrain is a must.

In my opinion there will be:
-> 2,5L Hybrid (with some variation in RWD from ES)
-> Some V6 engine for US market
-> Something hybrid more powerful (as a replacement for GS450h), likely from LC/LS500h;
-> A detuned version from what LC-F is getting

This week I saw the brand new ES, and it's almost as big as the GS... For the regular buyer I don't see the added value going for a GS... It definitely needs more power but in my opinion the GS is as good as dead...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
'Mid-range' sports sedans account for too little of the sales these days so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go for a detuned V35A to bridge the gap between the 2.5 turbo and the full F. And seeing how hybrid-heavy lineup is a theme in their next-gen vehicles, I could see the 500h serving as the top-grade non-F model.

LexiF

Fan
Reactions
I posted on the other thread regarding the 4IS about the line up and ISF and I’m still sticking with what I’m told. The only thing is I’m not sure if it will be a 3.5TT or 4.0TT ISF but apparently it’s definitely something Lexus wants and it will be featuring the new lightweight FCF architecture but there will be hybrids like the LC’s 500h and the 300h so I see the line up as this:
IS300
IS300h
Is350
IS400
IS400h/500h
ISF

Still I’m guessing Europe will see more of the hybrids while USA see’s the petrols...We will find out sooner then later.

It's like

300hp entry
400hp mid
500hp F

I still have hope for next generation GS even as 4 doors coupe

Keep your hopes up! It seems everyone is too tight lipped to confirm this but Lexus needs this vehicle and people seem to smile when I ask them this. Would GC nameplate be appropriate?

GNS

Follower
Reactions
I'm down for the IS400 as the mid-range competitor to the M340i, S4, C43, G70, etc. I've been looking for an upgrade for the last 5 years and the IS400 would be exactly what I want. I don't lease and I want to keep my next car for a long time.

@LexiF Who were the people you were talking to? Lexus employees at the dealership, or corporate people, or...?

joepac

Fan
Reactions
I posted on the other thread regarding the 4IS about the line up and ISF and I’m still sticking with what I’m told. The only thing is I’m not sure if it will be a 3.5TT or 4.0TT ISF but apparently it’s definitely something Lexus wants and it will be featuring the new lightweight FCF architecture but there will be hybrids like the LC’s 500h and the 300h so I see the line up as this:
IS300
IS300h
Is350
IS400
IS400h/500h
ISF

Still I’m guessing Europe will see more of the hybrids while USA see’s the petrols...We will find out sooner then later.

Keep your hopes up! It seems everyone is too tight lipped to confirm this but Lexus needs this vehicle and people seem to smile when I ask them this. Would GC nameplate be appropriate?

If what you were told is reliable then I think the 4is will be a hit!

Looks like I won't be buying that Volvo V60 lol (long story)

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
IS300
IS300h
Is350
IS400
IS400h/500h
ISF

Don't hold your breath for it. Best case scenario for some markets is 3 PU line up of 4cyl Hybrid + 1 Gasoline + F version. And don't be surprised if for US that Gasoline version is exact same 3.5 V6, it's a real possibility. Other possibility is for that rumored 2.4 turbo hitting the HP sweetspot to satisfy 3.5 and 2.0turbo spectrum. Infiniti scenario is highly unlikely.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Don't hold your breath for it. Best case scenario for some markets is 3 PU line up of 4cyl Hybrid + 1 Gasoline + F version. And don't be surprised if for US that Gasoline version is exact same 3.5 V6, it's a real possibility. Other possibility is for that rumored 2.4 turbo hitting the HP sweetspot to satisfy 3.5 and 2.0turbo spectrum. Infiniti scenario is highly unlikely.

If this is the case, why is Lexus like this? Are they just really conservative? Because Infiniti replaced the VQ37 with the 3.0 twin turbo, Genesis showed up with a proper powerplant (the 3.3T Lambda II) and even Acura is getting in on the turbo 6 cylinder game (likely in a mid-range TLX model).

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
If this is the case, why is Lexus like this?

Because Toyota/Lexus optimizes for reliability first and foremost. Outside of Internet car forums, people don't value performance all that highly. It's why while we're here oohing and aahing at the latest AMG Mercedes sells mostly base engines (and, increasingly, base model cars) and it's not even close.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Because Toyota/Lexus optimizes for reliability first and foremost. Outside of Internet car forums, people don't value performance all that highly. It's why while we're here oohing and aahing at the latest AMG Mercedes sells mostly base engines (and, increasingly, base model cars) and it's not even close.

While I generally agree with your thinking, AMG sales have never been higher and the market in general continues to explode with high performance offerings. As mentioned above, even Acura is about to drop a 400hp + TT V6 in their ES competitor.

Even Ford now offers more high performance SUVs than Lexus has. The new Aviator has a 450hp variant.

Lexus has got to get on the ball here, and fast.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
While I generally agree with your thinking, AMG sales have never been higher and the market in general continues to explode with high performance offerings. As mentioned above, even Acura is about to drop a 400hp + TT V6 in their ES competitor.

Even Ford now offers more high performance SUVs than Lexus has. The new Aviator has a 450hp variant.

Lexus has got to get on the ball here, and fast.
I agree with you Gecko. Lexus is getting closer or better with HP in sedan (ES no and IS needs the F back) but the SUV's are way behind. If they don't want to do a full F in SUV fine but we have to get more HP in those SUV's.

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
I agree with you Gecko. Lexus is getting closer or better with HP in sedan (ES no and IS needs the F back) but the SUV's are way behind. If they don't want to do a full F in SUV fine but we have to get more HP in those SUV's.
I agree, heck, the new Ford Explorer will have comparable power to the Lexus LX.....at half the cost;)

LexiF

Fan
Reactions
I'm down for the IS400 as the mid-range competitor to the M340i, S4, C43, G70, etc. I've been looking for an upgrade for the last 5 years and the IS400 would be exactly what I want. I don't lease and I want to keep my next car for a long time.

@LexiF Who were the people you were talking to? Lexus employees at the dealership, or corporate people, or...?

People that are in the know if that’s any help...I dare not say more.

I'm hearing V-8 or nothing for F.... but we will see...

I guess our ears are sharing the same sound wave.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
From the get go, If I'm correct, wasn't that one of the must-haves for any F cars according to Toyoda himself during an interview about one of the F cars? I'm not sure if it was the launch of the IS F or the RC F.