GM Cuts 6 Models, 5 Factories and 15% of Workforce

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Now here is where things get muddy for me.

Lacrosse- I for one am shocked a bit by the Lacrosse. I haven't been paying attention to sales, are they down? I know the last one did quite well.

Yep...they're WAY down, though I am certainly well-pleased with my 2018 Lacrosse, and would buy another one in another couple of years if the bozos in GM management would just keep the Hamtramck plant open.

Volt- Seems electric cars are Tesla's game right now. They didn't get this car right.

At the time the Volt was introduced, they DID get it right.....so much so that it took even the Prius time to catch up and offer a plug-in, extended-range version. Of course, the pure-electrics, right now, are getting most of the attention.

CT6- a shame a damn shame. Cadillac doesn't seem to know what the hell they are doing. They should have LAUNCHED this car with those wonderful V-8 options. You don't launch it 3 years later with them. Now they lose their flagship after one generation. I think it is beyond sad. The CTS hasn't been selling nearly as well as the last model either.

GM has a long history of doing this, Mike. They have introduced many vehicles, took several years to get them right, and then just turned around and cancelled them. Sad, but it just is sometimes the way that GM does business.

Impala- Seems more rental fleet than anything. How about make it a RWD, tough American looking sedan. I guess the Avalon is winning since this and the Lacrosse are toast.

You're thinking of the last-generation Impala, Mike, not this one. The present Impala, introduced in 2014, was a tremendous improvement in several areas. Even Consumer Reports, who is notorious for panning American-badged products, was impressed.

XTS- We saw this coming awhile ago but where will these buyers go? To Lincoln? To the CTS? Odd that Lexus dropped their RWD GS and Cadillac is dropping their FWD XTS.

Good question. Ford sees to be joining GM's lunacy in the Great War on Sedans. :worried:

I guess the bottom line is, cars are dying and they are moving fast to get rid of these.

No reason for them to die. But, let's face it......people are just infatuated with SUVs, and think they are the answer to all of their driving needs. I'm one of the last of the holdouts.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Buick sold more than 800,000 vehicles in China last year. In comparison, the Chinese don't even know the meaning of the word "Cadillac".

Note: In comparison, Cadillac sold 175K units last year in China, (up 50% from previous year). China is the largest market for Cadillac vehicles in the world. Caddy sales in US dropped to 156K units last year (8% decline). Dedicated factory in China opened in 2016 and Cadilac plans to have 300 dealerships in mainland by 2020. Last year Cadillac was #4 luxury brand in China behind Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
You're thinking of the last-generation Impala, Mike, not this one. The present Impala, introduced in 2014, was a tremendous improvement in several areas. Even Consumer Reports, who is notorious for panning American-badged products, was impressed.

Mike no I am not thinking of the last gen, I'm thinking of the still FWD bloated current gen which is better but still no segment buster or leader. Thank you.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Mike no I am not thinking of the last gen, I'm thinking of the still FWD bloated current gen which is better but still no segment buster or leader. Thank you.

OK, your call, and your opinion (subjective)....I respect that. Consumer Reports, though, ranks it as one of their top sedans, even against some at twice the price. After some test-drives, I agree. I'd consider one as a replacement for what I'm driving, but the people in GM marketing seem determined to shut down that entire plant and everything produced in it. It will probably lead me to an Lincoln MKZ next time.....IF Ford doesn't follow suit and cancel it, too.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Note: In comparison, Cadillac sold 175K units last year in China, (up 50% from previous year). China is the largest market for Cadillac vehicles in the world. Caddy sales in US dropped to 156K units last year (8% decline). Dedicated factory in China opened in 2016 and Cadilac plans to have 300 dealerships in mainland by 2020. Last year Cadillac was #4 luxury brand in China behind Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

Yes, I know Cadillac is increasing their base there (so is Lexus, BTW)......perhaps I understated their presence there, which, up to now, has not been strong at all. Buick is still the upmarket brand, however, even if it is not a full-luxury nameplate, that the Chinese clearly like the most. The Verano (Excelle) is the country's top-selling vehicle.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Cadillac is struggling to keep up with Lexus this year in China despite being locally produced. From last year's performance it seemed that Caddy becoming a "Tier 1" (joining BBA) premium brand is only a matter of time. But Lexus is on a strong charge this year thanks to the tariff drop which comes at the cost of other 'Tier 2" premium brands (Caddy, Volvo, JLR). It also doesn't help that the Lacrosse and ATS-L will be under serious threat from the Avalon next year. Buick's SUVs are not safe either due to the SUV market crash in China. Basically the problem is GM's market share has more or less peaked in China and like other brands they just don't have an answer against TNGA.

The Buick Lacrosse really has a surprisingly decent ride quality and powertrain NVH. The LTG is one of the smoothest 2.0 turbo-4 out there. I wouldn't mind owning one if not for the fact that the ES exists. Would definitely pick one over a S60L, ATS-L or any of the BBA offerings.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The Buick Lacrosse really has a surprisingly decent ride quality and powertrain NVH. The LTG is one of the smoothest 2.0 turbo-4 out there. I wouldn't mind owning one if not for the fact that the ES exists. Would definitely pick one over a S60L, ATS-L or any of the BBA offerings.

Thanks, ssun30...you are correct. The ride and noise isolation on the standard 18" wheel version was the primary reason I picked a Lacrosse myself....and it rewards every time I drive it. :) As for comparing it to the ES (as I also did)...the ES is screwed together a little better at the factory, and will probably prove to be more reliable in service (my 2018 Lacrosse has already had one significant issue with the climate control functions). And I'm not sure that GM has that new 9-speed automatic perfected yet. But the new 2019 ES, particularly with the optional tire package, to my tastes, simply doesn't provide the same level of driving and seating comfort....and it is lacking in some insulation from road noise.