Elon Musk Proposes Private Tesla Ownership

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
More and more stories are coming in about his marijuana use. Of course, weed has been pretty much decriminalized in his home state of California.....so he is probably not breaking any laws by doing so. But I'm not sure I'd want to buy a car from a company whose chief smoked that stuff.

07-elon-musk-smoking-weed.w700.h700.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I don't care what the CEO smokes, but I do care about the continuing crappy assembly quality.

I hear what you are saying, but I don't see how the CEO's pot is going to do the quality at the factory any good.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The story that's out about how they treat employees at the factory is probably more of a direct influence. Yikes, if what's been reported is true.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The story that's out about how they treat employees at the factory is probably more of a direct influence. Yikes, if what's been reported is true.

Perhaps a little off topic, but that was one thing that made Saturn so liked by their factory-employees. At least in the early years, they had a special UAW contract that was separate from the rest of GM, their Spring Hill, TN plant had a special air-conditioning system that ensured precise temperature/humidity and comfort at all times, and (at least, as I understand it) they had the authority to shut the assembly line down temporarily if they found a problem. Their line-managers and foremen also treated them like human beings.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Musk has just been replaced by Robyn Denholm as the new CEO.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/08/tesla-names-director-denholm-as-chair-after-musk-rows/

Tesla names director Robyn Denholm as chairwoman
She was the CFO of an Australian telecom company

REUTERS

Nov 8th 2018 at 8:16AM
c3b9a481b64dfe774cdd96a0cff81c2f

Tesla Inc. has ended weeks of speculation by promoting one of the electric carmaker's independent directors, Australian accountant Robyn Denholm, to replace Elon Musk as chairman.

The change in structure at the Silicon Valley firm, agreed to by Musk in a September court settlement with regulators, is supported by many on Wall Street who worry that his erratic behavior is undermining the company's progress.

Analysts and investors have expressed concern that it must be a strong independent figure who can rein in the billionaire's public outbursts and bring more order to Tesla.

Denholm has been an independent director of Tesla since 2014 and heads its audit committee. She was paid $5 million, mainly in stock options, by the company last year, making her the highest remunerated of its board members.

"I think an external candidate would have been the better choice," NordLB analyst Frank Schwope said. "She is the easiest way for Elon Musk to continue as so far."

Denholm is currently chief financial officer at Australian telecoms operator Telstra Corp Ltd. She started her career at collapsed global accounting firm Arthur Andersen and has also worked at Toyota and Sun Microsystems.

"I don't jump out of planes or bungie jump or any of that stuff," she told The Australian in 2011. "But I do take professional risks. You make the best decisions you can with all the information you have — and you have to move quickly. You're not pushing hard enough if you never make mistakes."

While Tesla is finally starting to make good on Musk's promises on production of the Model 3 sedan, seen as crucial to the company's future, it has lost senior executives for sales, human resources, manufacturing and finance in recent months.

Its vice president for manufacturing Gilbert Passin was reported last month to have left.

The company has seen months of turbulence related to the public behavior of Musk, whose gift for self-promotion has made Tesla one of the world's most talked-about businesses while causing spats with journalists, analysts, Wall Street investors and rapper Azealia Banks.

He is being sued for calling one of the divers behind this year's Thai cave rescue a "pedo."

According to The Australian, Denholm, 55, says the only things that really disappoint her are rudeness and waste.

"I don't like people wasting resources, or if people and entities don't live up to their potential. And politeness costs you absolutely nothing. It doesn't matter whether you are the most senior person in the room, or the most junior," she told the paper.

She takes over as Tesla's chair immediately and will leave her role as CFO and head of strategy at Telstra once her six-month notice period with the company is complete, Tesla said. She was named as Telstra's CFO in July.

She will serve as chair on a full-time basis and will also temporarily step down as chair of Tesla's audit committee until she leaves Telstra.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No. Denholm replaces Musk as new Chairwoman.

OK, Thanks, Steve.....yes, that was a typo on my part.

From the article, though (and, admittedly, media-articles can often be misleading), compared to Musk, she seems like somewhat more of a breath of fresh air, less full of herself, and more ready to get serious about tackling the company's problems.