Nut/Ding season coming up.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nut/Ding season coming up.
For those of you who park (or regularly) park outdoors with sheet-metal-panel vehicles, we will once again be facing ding-season, starting in a couple of weeks, for acorns falling off of oak trees. Indeed, locally here in the D.C. area, I have already seen some walnuts come down, which are larger, heavier, and do even more damage to body panels. Typically, acorn season reaches its peak from late August to early October, but that will vary with the local area. Vehicles were once more resistant to this kind of ding-damage. But, today, many sheet metal panels are so thin, because of cost/weight/fuel-mleage concerns, that they will ding if you so much as blow on them LOL....I often mention that in reviews. If possible, try not to park directly under large trees, at least until later in October or so.....though, I know, the shade can be a temptation in the bright sun, which can rapidly heat up the interior. If you DO have to park under large trees, try to avoid oaks, walnuts, other nut-bearing trees, or big pine trees that drop large cones. On the trees themselves, ripe walnuts tend to have large, green coverings and look like green tennis-balls. The first warning signs that acorns are about to drop is when you see some of the still-green ones fall wth their caps....that is a sign that the ripe, heavy, brown ones will soon follow.

And, for those of you with a garage......count your blessings.
wink.gif

Reactions
yup got 1 this year sept/oct. chestnut on hood toward the grill thanks to a local guy a dent genius. never know it. they have a gift that satisfies!

Reactions: RAL