Toyota to Debut Next-generation Century at Tokyo Motor Show 2017

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I gotta admit, the retro 80s styling of that thing speaks to me. Just not as much as the new LS does.

Despite the lack of a "coolness" factor, today's designers tend to forget now much sense those retro-sedan designs made, with the square, three-box styling.....high rooflines for headroom and ease of entry/exit, roomy cargo areas, large and easy-to-accomodate trunk lids, good outward visibility from the drivers' seat, easy cleaning of inside windows, and more room under the hood to reach and service the engine and its components. Today's Humpback-Whale, Jelly-Bean-shape, 4-door coupe-wanna-bes may look sleek, but with that slick look also comes a number of trade-offs.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Funny how time can change your perspectives.

For some reason, I still vividly recall the debut of the original Toyota Century in 1967. (I guess it was one of those Random Access Memories Daft Punk sang about a few years ago). I was just 11 years old and had been living in Spain for just a few months. Even as a child, I was as much an incurable car geek as I am now. I recall buying a magazine with coverage of the 1967 Tokyo Motor Show (though I don't recall if said magazine was British, Spanish or French. I lean towards the latter). One of the right-hand pages had a 2 x 3 grid of 6 photos of the cars that debuted there. Only 2 still stick in my mind, though: the 3rd-gen Toyota Crown and the Century, in black as it always is. I remember intensely disliking it, a stodgy, large car that reminded me of a bad enlarged copy of a Studebaker Lark.

Now, the 3rd-generation comes out, and I find myself totally loving it. It's still unmistakably a Toyota Century, but subtly modernized in all the right places and in such details as the headlight contours, grille proportions, a greenhouse that is ever so slightly more raked and moved back, and lower side chrome trim that looks to have a bit more of a modern matte finish and is not as tall as it used to be.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Funny how time can change your perspectives.

For some reason, I still vividly recall the debut of the original Toyota Century in 1967. (I guess it was one of those Random Access Memories Daft Punk sang about a few years ago). I was just 11 years old and had been living in Spain for just a few months. Even as a child, I was as much an incurable car geek as I am now. I recall buying a magazine with coverage of the 1967 Tokyo Motor Show (though I don't recall if said magazine was British, Spanish or French. I lean towards the latter). One of the right-hand pages had a 2 x 3 grid of 6 photos of the cars that debuted there. Only 2 still stick in my mind, though: the 3rd-gen Toyota Crown and the Century, in black as it always is. I remember intensely disliking it, a stodgy, large car that reminded me of a bad enlarged copy of a Studebaker Lark.

Now, the 3rd-generation comes out, and I find myself totally loving it. It's still unmistakably a Toyota Century, but subtly modernized in all the right places and in such details as the headlight contours, grille proportions, a greenhouse that is ever so slightly more raked and moved back, and lower side chrome trim that looks to have a bit more of a modern matte finish and is not as tall as it used to be.

23 years later, when I was 11, I was buying car magazines like you (and everyone was looking at me like... what is this kid doing with car mags?) and I remember seeing an article about Lexus LS... It was in German Autobild. They basically said it was a cheap copy of German cars, cant drive straight let alone in curves, like a barge. It reinforced my opinion of how cheaply and poorly done are Japanese vehicles when compared to beloved German vehicles.

How times have changed.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Despite the lack of a "coolness" factor, today's designers tend to forget now much sense those retro-sedan designs made, with the square, three-box styling.....high rooflines for headroom and ease of entry/exit, roomy cargo areas, large and easy-to-accomodate trunk lids, good outward visibility from the drivers' seat, easy cleaning of inside windows, and more room under the hood to reach and service the engine and its components. Today's Humpback-Whale, Jelly-Bean-shape, 4-door coupe-wanna-bes may look sleek, but with that slick look also comes a number of trade-offs.

Something I learned all over again the other day when my loaner (the LS turned 25,000) was an NX200T. I swear they didn't even try to make it so it was drivable by people over 5'9" or so.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Something I learned all over again the other day when my loaner (the LS turned 25,000) was an NX200T. I swear they didn't even try to make it so it was drivable by people over 5'9" or so.

One can always adjust the front seat-cushion all the way down, or add some rake to the seat-back (I often do that if and when I'm reviewing low-topped vehicles). But then, with high beltlines, it can make you feel like you are sitting in a bathtub, and too much rake in the seatback can make the belt/harnesss ineffective in a crash or sudden stop.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
A hybrid system with a full-on 2UR? Now *that's* what the LC hybrid should've had.

It's the 600h powertrain from 2008. The new Century is basically a reskinned LS600h. That hybrid system isn't particularly impressive by today's standards, especially considering the 500h system is designed to outperform it...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Ahh, ok. I assumed this was newer than it is, given the presence of the LS500 rear seat touchscreen and stuff.

I remember the poor reviews of the 600h, they let the press drive it in California and it kept overheating. Oops!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Could be pre-production flaws. It's been a decade, surely they should have figured out the cooling!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

In Appreciation of the New Toyota Century
18-06-26-toyota-century-lexus.jpg

Japan-only limousine gets first update in 21 years.
View the original article post

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Wonderful car absolute classic! Giving my age away but this how a prestige car should look pity it is not a Lexus but it's history goes way back before Lexus was thought of. Someone in this thread mentioned cloth seats they are in fact lambs wool and optional. Looks very inviting and comfortable in there - a Diplomats car not for average use ala Rolls Royce. Well done Toyota!

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Notice that the Phoenix badge on the wheels is always the right way up! - just like RR hubcaps if we can call them that.

Reactions: CIF

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I really like this car now, so as most Japanese (market only) cars. In today's world, superficiality has destroyed any craftsmanship that implies human soul, and customers are spoiled by consumerism. These cars in particular have a certain timelessness through functionality. An example of a good "worker" car, the Tocot:
mira_tocot_180625001.jpg

This Century is for those that deserve more, is all luxury that is needed, without tech for show. It (but all these cars too) also honestly reflects the slow (at least slower than advertised) automotive industry development, with the first gen 30, then 20 and now probably 10 year life cycle. Yes in ten years only will HFCEVs and BEVs have some weight, if.

This Century is true, functional luxury, and does not need to play the ostentatious card.

I really love it, the pure definition of luxury, from which Rolls Royce has departed catering to the "undeserved" nouveau riche. But well, that is the world we live in.

I wonder why it has such long front and rear overhangs. The proportions don't look right for a longitudinal vehicle (more like transverse FWD). Usually a 5300 mm long car should have a 3300 mm long wheelbase...

One thing to remember is that wheelbase size also has pros and cons. A long wheelbase, makes a car more stable, but less maneuverable, thus the increased use of AWS. In this case it has probably more to do with the car being based on the 4LS, rather than any deliberate engineering choice.

Last edited:

farid

Premium Member
Reactions
my wish is that lexus have a ultra luxury brand (LEXUS CENTURY):heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I want to say something, what will Toyota lose if they start exporting the Century to all the RHD markets?

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
my wish is that lexus have a ultra luxury brand (LEXUS CENTURY):heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Agreed! Lexus should make an ultra luxury car to go against the Rolls Royce Phantom, Bentley Mulsanne and Mayback 57 & 62...obviously it won't sells in droves but it would be awesome to see Lexus compete and hang with the Big Boys...