Ford to drop five sedans in North America.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Like I mentioned earlier, I understand what you are saying (and at least partly agree with it). But, at the same time, no matter what we like or don't like, none of us can buy everything at once. I, for example, happened to like both the Lincoln MKZ and the Lexus ES350, but I had to make a choice, and the Lacrosse won out for several reasons. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be disappointed to see the MKZ also bite the dust like the Fusion and Taurus are doing.

All I am saying is if people liked Ford sedans that much, they would have bought them. They didn't so don't complain if Ford wants to shut down sedans.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
All I am saying is if people liked Ford sedans that much, they would have bought them. They didn't so don't complain if Ford wants to shut down sedans.

This is obvious. If people liked sports cars and manual transmissions, people would have bought them.

It is more a case of 'not enough people', for manufacturers to justify a business case.

mikeavelli

Reactions
This is obvious. If people liked sports cars and manual transmissions, people would have bought them.

It is more a case of 'not enough people', for manufacturers to justify a business case.

That is not the point I am making. The point I am making is I don't want to hear people sighing and upset about Ford dropping sedans if they never were interested to buy one in the first place. All over the internet people are up in arms about Ford's decision. When you dig into what they drive, it ain't a Ford.

Obviously I know forecasting and the law of supply/demand.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
That is not the point I am making. The point I am making is I don't want to hear people sighing and upset about Ford dropping sedans if they never were interested to buy one in the first place. All over the internet people are up in arms about Ford's decision. When you dig into what they drive, it ain't a Ford.

Obviously I know forecasting and the law of supply/demand.

True. Anyway they were FWD.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Like I mentioned earlier, I understand what you are saying (and at least partly agree with it). But, at the same time, no matter what we like or don't like, none of us can buy everything at once. I, for example, happened to like both the Lincoln MKZ and the Lexus ES350, but I had to make a choice, and the Lacrosse won out for several reasons. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be disappointed to see the MKZ also bite the dust like the Fusion and Taurus are doing.

Now that the Fusion and Taurus are being cancelled, all those potential Fusion and Taurus buyers can either purchase a Camry or Avalon, I'm sure Toyota will sell more now...

Reactions
Now that the Fusion and Taurus are being cancelled, all those potential Fusion and Taurus buyers can either purchase a Camry or Avalon, I'm sure Toyota will sell more now...

If those buyers already bothered to buy a Ford, then I wouldn't be surprised if they hopped in to their other American compatriot, Chevrolet. They have the Malibu and the Impala, as these people are probably the guys who only "Only Buy American!" and nothing else. Though, I wouldn't rule out them coming to have a snoop at Toyota. Their cars are more superior to Ford's and Chevrolet's anyways. They literally knocked it out of the park (could have done a little better in performance) with the Camry, same with the Avalon.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

To some extent, I agree with F1 Silver Arrows. Outside of the police, there aren't very many Taurus buyers start with, and if GM is smart and keeps its sedans, maybe those Fusion buyers will gravitate to Chevy. A lot of people, yes, but not everyone is jumping on the SUV bandwagon. I've test-driven at least two different versions of the current Malibu, and, outside of the standard 1.5L turbo engine which I'm not impressed with (the Fusion also shares a standard 1.5L turbo), it is s surprisingly nice mid-size sedan.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Their cars are more superior to Ford's and Chevrolet's anyways.

This part, however, I don't totally agree with. Yes, in the long run, the average Toyota sedan will probably be more reliable than a Fusion or Malibu, but, IMO, both the Fusion and Malibu drive better then a typical Camry, and ditto with the Impala and Lacrosse over the Avalon.