2019 Cadillac XT4 Debuts (NX, GLC, Q5 Fighter)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2019-cadillac-xt4-001-1.jpg

Cadillac spent years and years improving its mainline sedans, the CTS and ATS, turning them into awfully good impressions of BMWs from a few years before. The thing is, great sedans aren't selling, and crossovers sure are. Cadillac's XT5 is the only crossover in the lineup, something that's had American Cadillac dealers gnashing their teeth and wailing — although anyone they can upsell into an Escalade can staunch the bleeding. That brings us to the new XT4, which is smaller than the XT5 but even sharper than its bigger sibling. Let's take a closer look at this new two-row luxury crossover.

2019-cadillac-xt4-004-1.jpg

For one, it's based on what Cadillac calls a unique platform. That may be true, technically, although it's likely related to the Equinox/Terrain on some level. Platforms are becoming quite flexible: Look at Volkswagen's MQB, under everything from Euro hatches smaller than our Golf to the three-row Atlas. Whatever else it is underneath the skin, all XT4s will share one powertrain: the corporate 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four, paired to a nine-speed automatic transmission.

2019-cadillac-xt4-006-1.jpg

The engine puts out a healthy 237 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, putting it just a hair underneath its closest domestic rival, the Lincoln MKC with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost. Of course, the 2.3-liter MKC beats the XT4 handily, but that's another story. Power is produced with the help of a twin-scroll turbocharger. All-wheel drive is available, with a driver-selectable rear axle disconnect to save a small amount of rolling friction. Cadillac estimates it'll be good for 30 MPG on the freeway, but we haven't seen official results to confirm that.

A few other changes that'll affect driving: electro-hydraulic brake assist, a first for Cadillac and mainly a fuel-saving measure; and Continuous Damping Control, which alters the damper's valve continuously based on a number of parameters. It's almost certainly used here because it's lighter and less expensive than air suspension or MagneRide, and it is optional on XT4. CDC or no, all XT4s utilize a front strut and five-link rear suspension. All XT4s also ride on 18-inch wheels in various designs.

2019-cadillac-xt4-012-1.jpg

The trim strategy is mildly interesting. The base model is the Luxury, and then you can choose a Sport (black exterior trim, unique wheels) or a Premium Luxury (bright trim and satin-brushed accents). The interior options are suitably upscale and premium, and we'll have more to say about them a little later when we can see this car up close. An 8-inch touchscreen, wireless charging, and an available second-generation Rear Camera Mirror round out the high points.

2019-cadillac-xt4-008-1.jpg

At first glance, the XT4 seems better-proportioned and sleeker than the XT5 — no surprise there, as compact crossovers are generally prettier than midsize cousins. A bit more modern styling helps, too. It looks fresher and, dare we say, cuter than the XT5, from the brief glimpses we've gotten of it so far in Cadillac-provided images.

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/27/2019-cadillac-xt4-crossover-debuts-new-york/

Overall, I'm rather disappointed. The general shape reminds me of the first gen Ford Edge with a Volvo arse. The interior is typical GM: 70% of the way there but missing out on the little details that get make a difference in a luxury car: pedestrian looking fonts on gauges and buttons, flat door panels, not enough trim on the console and doors, etc.

Also, 237hp/258lb-ft 2.0T... Lexus did this four years ago. The Germans all have stronger motors than that now, and Lexus will too, soon. Come on, Caddy...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Yeah, this thing is almost more important as help with Caddy's currently bizarre lineup than it is as a car.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
2019-cadillac-xt4-008-1.jpg

Exterior looks fine (love the amber color) .....but, inside, the dash and shifter area different story. IMO, those dual-rows of almost identical buttons below the CUE dash look like the same stuff we saw from GM back in the 1990s.

6221860006_large.jpg

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It just is another nail in the ATS.

It might (?) also be somewhat of a nail in the Lincoln MKC competition in this compact luxury-SUV category. The MKC is a nice design (I liked it enough, when it first debuted, to give it serious consideration as a daily-driver)....but it appears to have significant build-quality and fit/finish issues. If Cadillac can avoid that loose-assembly on the XT4 (which not only affects the MKC, but a couple of other Lincolns as well), it will start the race already one lap ahead. ;)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Should be popular here, mainly at the airport rental locations.

Anybody without prior experience who does rent this vehicle (or any other vehicle from GM or BMW with a shifter like that) will probably need to take a quick 101 course on how to operate the shifter. You can't just jump right into a vehicle with a shifter like this, pop it into drive intuitively, and go, like you can with the traditional lever and PRNDL pattern (or with Lincoln's simple PRNDL buttons). You have to learn exactly what you are doing.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Anybody without prior experience who does rent this vehicle (or any other vehicle from GM or BMW with a shifter like that) will probably need to take a quick 101 course on how to operate the shifter. You can't just jump right into a vehicle with a shifter like this, pop it into drive intuitively, and go, like you can with the traditional lever and PRNDL pattern (or with Lincoln's simple PRNDL buttons). You have to learn exactly what you are doing.

Yes. It’s similar to a BMW electronic automatic shifter, not one of my favorites.

Lincoln’s push button shifter is a weak attempt at something different, even if easier/quicker to decipher, just a gimmick that no competent driver asked for in last decade(s). In comparison, the easiest/quickest to operate and most intuitive electronic shifter is the Benz (stalk on column).

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I got used to a BMW E-Shifter ten seconds after hopping into one rental. Guess my experience with EV shifters helps a lot (they all use the similar pattern). After you get used to it, it makes much more sense than a PRND shifter. So many people use P at lights (apparently they don't know N exists) and seeing the reverse lights come up always makes me nervous. The E-shifter gets rid of that problem because one no longer goes through R to choose D.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes. It’s similar to a BMW electronic automatic shifter, not one of my favorites.

Lincoln’s push button shifter is a weak attempt at something different, even if easier/quicker to decipher, just a gimmick that no competent driver asked for in last decade(s). In comparison, the easiest/quickest to operate and most intuitive electronic shifter is the Benz (stalk on column).

On a slightly different note, Steve (though it probably doesn't need a separate thread to post it).......you have often complained about Lincoln's alphabet-soup naming scheme. Looks like that is now staring to fade into history. The last three new or redesigned Lincoln products (Continental, Navigator, and Aviator) all have conventional names. I suspect that the others will follow suit with their next major re-design...wouldn't be surprised to see the MKZ, for example, revert back to the name Zephyr, or, maybe even the Versailles name for the smaller Ford Granada-based Lincoln sedans used in the 1970s, when Lincoln tried to compete with the 1Gen Cadillac Seville.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I got used to a BMW E-Shifter ten seconds after hopping into one rental. Guess my experience with EV shifters helps a lot (they all use the similar pattern). After you get used to it, it makes much more sense than a PRND shifter.

GM's E-Shifter (I have one in my Lacrosse) moves up and to the left, in an L-pattern, for Reverse. For manual mode (M) you pull the lever back one notch. To put it in back into drive (D) from M, you pull the lever back again...not push it forward (that's where it gets confusing). Are you sure the BMW levers now work that way? :confused: I'll take your word for it if they do, since I haven't test-driven a new BMW for the last couple of years.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thats the thing, it could shift using a 2 speed automatic, people buy SUVs with no questions asked lol.

2-speed autos, such as GMs Powerglide, Ford's Ford-O-matic, and Chrysler's PowerFlite, worked fine back in the late 50s and 60s, when even base in-line sixes had a fair amount of torque to overcome the lack of flexibility. Today, though, they simply wouldn't provide the kind of efficiency that automakers need to satisfy both customers and the EPA at the same time.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
GM's E-Shifter (I have one in my Lacrosse) moves up and to the left, in an L-pattern, for Reverse. For manual mode (M) you pull the lever back one notch. To put it in back into drive (D) from M, you pull the lever back again...not push it forward (that's where it gets confusing). Are you sure the BMW levers now work that way? :confused: I'll take your word for it if they do, since I haven't test-driven a new BMW for the last couple of years.

BMW's E-shifter is completely linear, much more intuitive than the GM E-shifter you've just described. People accustomed to PRNDL shifters will get used to it in no time.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
On a slightly different note, Steve (though it probably doesn't need a separate thread to post it).......you have often complained about Lincoln's alphabet-soup naming scheme. Looks like that is now staring to fade into history. The last three new or redesigned Lincoln products (Continental, Navigator, and Aviator) all have conventional names. I suspect that the others will follow suit with their next major re-design...wouldn't be surprised to see the MKZ, for example, revert back to the name Zephyr, or, maybe even the Versailles name for the smaller Ford Granada-based Lincoln sedans used in the 1970s, when Lincoln tried to compete with the 1Gen Cadillac Seville.
MKX will be renamed Nautilus with its mid-life refresh for the 2019 model year. Curiously, though, MKC, while also getting a mid-life refresh for the 2019 MY, did not get a name change.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Lincoln's started pretty heavily advertising in the US that their MK-alphabet soup is more powerful than the RX. I don't think that's really the right angle to come at the RX from, but we'll see.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Thanks. I wrote that meaning to go back and figure out which one it was before I clicked "post" :)