Lexus UX Rear Light Bar to Become "New Lexus Signature Feature"

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I believe this type of taillight will eventually make its way to all vehicles -- there's a functional safety component to it as well with improved brake visibility. I don't know if it's a fad as much as an evolution.

I agree, it will be successor to the synonymous chrome rear line and honestly I also like it in both UX & Avalon

Reactions
the full rear light bar is absolutley trending on alot of cars. seems like the first time i saw it in recent memory was on the second gen dodge charger IIRC. i never noticed just how many vehicles had adapted this until recently. personally, i like it. and whats really interesting is that on the UX, at some angles, it appears almost as a 21st century tail fin, which i think is great!

RAL

Reactions
As always, I think seeing this taillight display in real life will win over some who are disappointed.
Notice the unique detail how the display appears to 'slice' into the rear deck ...

IMG_4347.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I believe this type of taillight will eventually make its way to all vehicles -- there's a functional safety component to it as well with improved brake visibility. I don't know if it's a fad as much as an evolution.

It is not a new trend, but a revival of an already old style very used in the '90s, buy all brands all over the world.

1991-alfa-romeo-spider-1304959-2038483.php

1e719ce1-2183-4ced-a219-b088f134c801.jpg

alfa-romeo-164-30-v6-12v-super-ilawa-300943807.jpg

1995_nissan_180sx-pic-5750161872885001494-1600x1200.jpeg

f3ff5e67c9fb9d0d683975cfa5997bf15cde3bdbb5ec64c603ea2e3b8eb53272.jpg

autowp32.jpg

90601001990005.jpg

I don't recall older cars, American ones and so, but it is nothing new. It is also one of the reason I dislike fashion and trends, because they sell old ideas as 'latest innovation'. More then that, when all try to be different by following the latest trend, they all end up looking the same.

Even Mercedes-Benz with their 'trendy' BEVs:
02-mercedes-benz-generation-eq-concept-paris-1.jpg

tild6131-3631-4939-b330-613764616335__66e029b558767535c3de.jpg

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Agree with essentially all the comments on the rear light bar.

I think it's more a styling trend as we see how common it is (or will be) from several manufacturers and as such, it is not a unique Lexus design element like the spindle grille and to support that, I doubt Lexus trademarked the rear lightbar as they did the spindle.

On a related note, Toyota needs to stay away from mimicking the Lexus front-end and keep both brands separate and distinct; not like what Hyundai Corp has done to Genesis! As car enthusiasts we can tell, but 95% of the population won't notice the difference between a 20K Hyundai and a 50K Genesis. :eek:

2018-Toyota-Camry-XSE-front-in-motion-03.jpg

h1.jpg H2.jpg

Reactions
Car designers all go to the same school and they all follow the same trends.. maybe flip up headlights are next :)

Unfortunately they won't make a comeback. The reason why they stopped production of cars with flip-up headlights is due to poor results in crash testing.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Crash testing? That's the last thing I would've expected to be problematic with flip-up headlights. Got any details?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Pedestrian protection has killed the hood line. Can't find statistics on how effective that it.

Reactions
A serious answer to a funny question. :waving:

Just saying the reason why they aren't in production anymore, that's all. :) @krew

Flip up lights and pedestrian/bike safety might be a prob...

Restrictions for pedestrian protection seems to be the culprit: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/..._why_the_hidden_headlamp_has_disappeared.html

That, and the horrible aero they cause:

Yeah, I should have been more specific. It was mostly due to pedestrian safety crash testing if that clears anything up. Thanks for clarifying you two! @IS-SV @LDeleuran

mikeavelli

Reactions
I recently got up close and personal with the UX. The rear lights are one cool design feature. Compared to what everyone else is doing, which is a horizontal light bar which is not even a new idea, the UX really goes to another level.

It is also 1960s Cadillac ish with a Fin of a tailight that sweeps up, modern as a "L" and flows throughout the bodywork. It is utterly magnificent. Surely though such style cuts into cargo room which is very small. That said Lexus continues to really showcase they are becoming design leaders.

IMG_1488.JPG

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
I recently got up close and personal with the UX. The rear lights are one cool design feature. Compared to what everyone else is doing, which is a horizontal light bar which is not even a new idea, the UX really goes to another level.

It is also 1960s Cadillac ish with a Fin of a tailight that sweeps up, modern as a "L" and flows throughout the bodywork. It is utterly magnificent. Surely though such style cuts into cargo room which is very small. That said Lexus continues to really showcase they are becoming design leaders.

View attachment 2905

is that rear spoiler responsible for all that dust?

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
Hahah, no.. car needs a wash :)

No, seriously, I immediately had to think back to my younger years, my VW Golf GTI also had a rear spoiler.
The rear window was always dirty, the air circulation, you know.
I fear that the UX will also suffer from this.