NX 2018 Rear Hatch Opening

Reactions
Hello
I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the rear hatch opening with the foot wave. I took delivery end of November, It has never worked correctly. I have a service appointment Feb 2nd. Not sure what to expect, I don't want repeated trips to service or if this is a common problem.

RAL

Reactions
Welcome to LE! @Margi3

I regret I have no advise for you, but please let us know how Lexus service resolves the issue for you.

Reactions
Any update on this issue? was it resolved for you?
They picked it up and must have reset it, some of my settings were off, returnned it to me later that day. it works, but i dont feel like it should. I was instructed to do a "in and out" motion under the "L" instead of the random "swipe" i was instructed on delivery. I had to repeat the motion repeatedly a few times, at this point I have to as why bother! It needs to be dependable , if not it is useless. I feel the sensitivity level should be increased , if that can happen. I love the vehicle, it far exceeds my expectations, except for this issue. I will probably have to take a trip out to the dealership myself, the downside to pick up and delivery, no real conversation at the point of service . I will let you know what, if anything they do to resolve this issue . Or maybe it should be on the 2019 adjustments.

SamT

Fan
Reactions
I apologize if this is too obvious to even ask. Do you have the FAB key with you when you do this (wave your foot)? Some youtube video kind of emphasize that.

Reactions
Yes ! I pulled up the YouTube videos before I even called lexus. I am wondering wether the "swipe" or "kick matters, it just isn t working properly . I went as far initially to hand other people my key have them try..thinking I was doing something wrong. Just frustrating. I am far from unfamiliar with automobiles, I worked for Chrysler in sales and service.

SamT

Fan
Reactions
I am picking up mine tomorrow and that kick sensor would be one of those I will check first.

Reactions
Good Luck! Please Let me know if you have an issue! Mine was one of the first off the boat, new option. I got it November 20th.
I hope you don't have the issue. I love the NX. It is the perfect vehicle for me, so very comfortable to drive, even has some back coming out of the hole. I hope you enjoy yours as much! If you need a video of how to use your kick sensor..I can forward it to you ! Ha ha

SamT

Fan
Reactions
A big disappointment. Lexus NX 300 F3 is not equipped with kick / wave sensor to open the back door.

Reactions
Ahhh, But I am sure you will love all the other options it has! ENJOY!! The NX sport is one hot looking Vehicle!!
!!!I LOVE those "racing Pedals! I might have them put on mine, Although the piece on the carpet Is not an easy fix. What Horsepower does yours have? Is it a Turbo ?
I ordered mine on the website "Build your Lexus". The found one that was coming to the US with the options I wanted.
The rep from the dealership has been out to my work trying to diagnose the issue with the kick sensor..they just don't have an answer as of yet how to fix it!
It is a new option, I will give them time, they have been on top of it! I will keep you posted!
I hope you enjoy your NX as much as I do mine!
Have you turned on the WI-FI yet? I don't have a lot of devices to connect, so I probably wont keep it. I do love the sirius radio, and the sound system is great! I also love the ability to speak to text! Did you get the upgrade on the headlights? I love that I can see a wider area and that It has the automatic high beams. I have also driven it in the snow, It is very Capable!

Reactions: RAL

SamT

Fan
Reactions
Yes, it is a Turbo.This year model handles much better than the 2015 one. Too bad we don't a "Build your Lexus" here in Canada. I was told by my salesman that it has all the features that my 2015 has and more, and I was looking forward to the kick sensor. I also wanted the power back seat but as I stated above this is not offered in the F3 which is ironic since it is the most expensive trim level here in Canada. You would expect that all the features should be there.

Overall, I am happy with it. All the features that it has are great and that 360 degree-camera view is fantastic, except that the front view is kind of obstructed by a wide black bar at the middle. The Lexus Enform is also nice. I think I will be using the Destination Assist more regularly. I want it to tell me which restaurant serves the best steak for instance, ha ha!

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
If the sensor is similar to the one on the LS500, you have to kick with your toes up, if that makes sense. So a straight in-out kick, but keep your toes back towards your shin, almost kicking the bottom of the car. It has to be done quick too, don't hold your foot there. It took me a few times with the 2018 LS to finally do it correctly.

Reactions
Yes, it is a Turbo.This year model handles much better than the 2015 one. Too bad we don't a "Build your Lexus" here in Canada. I was told by my salesman that it has all the features that my 2015 has and more, and I was looking forward to the kick sensor. I also wanted the power back seat but as I stated above this is not offered in the F3 which is ironic since it is the most expensive trim level here in Canada. You would expect that all the features should be there.

Overall, I am happy with it. All the features that it has are great and that 360 degree-camera view is fantastic, except that the front view is kind of obstructed by a wide black bar at the middle. The Lexus Enform is also nice. I think I will be using the Destination Assist more regularly. I want it to tell me which restaurant serves the best steak for instance, ha ha!

Well it sounds like you have a well equipped NX! I am familiar with the 2015 NX200t as well, almost bought one! I do love all the additional features the 2018 has, still not happy with the kick sensor issue, I hope it is resolved. It Is a great option, but not if it is unreliable!!

Reactions
If the sensor is similar to the one on the LS500, you have to kick with your toes up, if that makes sense. So a straight in-out kick, but keep your toes back towards your shin, almost kicking the bottom of the car. It has to be done quick too, don't hold your foot there. It took me a few times with the 2018 LS to finally do it correctly.
Thank you ! I will take your advise...I am 5 ft 4 " I kept thinking I we not kicking in far enough. My rep from Lexus came to my work at my parking garage to try to diagnose it, our garage manager came by, he is 6 ft 3", didn't work for him. I was "waving" like I was told originally... I appreciate your advise! going out, will try straight in with toes up! Thank you!

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
Awesome! From everything I've heard, there's no "wave" involved whatsoever. It's always a kick :thumbsup: