Need a new IS please ?

GTG

Fan
Reactions
New IS please ? It's time to make this compete . What does everyone think ? I think that it should be longer , faster , and where is the IS F ?

Reactions
I agree, i have the 2017 IS. I spent the money on a K&N air filter, intake tube, and Vivid Racing tune to increase performance and really like it now. Definitely looking forward to a new one, hopefully with more performance to rival the BMW 330i and hopefully a new model with a turbo 6 cylinder to compete with the 340i. A new IS F would be awesome also!

GTG

Fan
Reactions
What's up SC457 ? Thanks man ! I owned a 2014 IS . The reason why I posted was that the IS is a great car , but it needed to be cutting edge . I mean the feeling of driving down the street in it in NY city and having people stop you and ask everyday , what car is this ? Where can I get one ? Was cool . BMW 3 series owner and Mercedes Benz c class owners would pull up along side me and ask is that the new IS ? I loved that car man but it not keeping up . The other brands are now bigger, more tech with the feel of lush luxury and presents . Horse power in spades Lexus IS still the band to buy to me but something got to change .

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
I agree, time for a new IS. Current one is dated and uncompetitive. New 3 series is coming this year which won't help the IS's standing in the market.

Reactions
2014 was a great year for the Lexus IS with the redesign. Not many people looking to get one now the same as they were in 2014 and 2015. A new design and competitive performance would help a lot. It would be cool to see the LS500 motor turbo 6 cylinder and trans in a new IS F to compete with M3. Lexus has a lot of pieces just need to put together. It would be cool to see 19 inch wheels on the new ones styled like the F Sport GS350 wheels also!

Reactions
Actually the LS500 is 417 hp, it would be better to have the LC500 motor with 471 HP in a new IS F to compete with M3, C63, ect and put the LS500 motor is a new IS350 and put that in the GS350 also, that would be a good boost to Lexus line up for performance!

GTG

Fan
Reactions
Brothers ! You both are right 100 % . Longer , more space with horses ISF 461 completes the line , with an addition of 371 F sport the same price as the one now
. Lexus should keep going forward with what they do best , give more for less . The 19 inch rims would be a good fit on the F sport .

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
I wish the IS would incorporate things found in other Lexus models like HUD and Panoramic Moonroof, especially considering the competition offer both of those things.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I totally agree. Lexus needs to update and expand the IS line. Lexus can do so much with the IS line. Currently:

Horsepower:
IS 300 (FKA 200t) = 241hp
BMW 320i = 180hp
Audi A4 = 190hp
Mercedes C300 = 241hp

The IS 200t is about where other luxury makes are at regarding horsepower.

Definitely increase power and refinement of the IS line and expand.

IS 300 (FKA 200t)
IS 300 awd
IS 300h (please bring to the North America; 217 hp)
IS 350
IS F (please bring back with a vengeance)
IS Sportcross (please bring back sport wagon)

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm not much concerned about power, but I'd agree that a new (and better) IS is needed from a build-quality standpoint. I'm not impressed with a lot of the materials used especially in the 3Gen version. The 2Gen was noticeably better, and the 1Gen, better yet, though its interior was a dead-ringer for the (at that time) Toyota Altezza.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I remember that you owned a solar yellow first generation IS 300 Mike. Would you ever own an IS again in the future in any particular variant, such as a hybrid, wagon or sedan?

I like the IS a lot but Lexus can do so much more with the IS line. By not continuing the IS F Lexus losses some credibility in continuing the heritage of the performance line within the IS line. The RC F and GS F is there but it's not complete without the IS F. Lexus would probably sell more IS F's than RC F's or GS F's or maybe combined. Hopefully one day we'll get the LC F.

Maybe Lexus is content with the current IS? Lexus needs to attend to the enthusiasts and if they want more customers Lexus needs to increase horsepower, refinement and expand the IS line...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I remember that you owned a solar yellow first generation IS 300 Mike. Would you ever own an IS again in the future in any particular variant, such as a hybrid, wagon or sedan?

If I did, it would be AWD only...no more RWDs for me in the winter. And it would have to have softer-riding tires/wheels than the current version (my old IS had a 16" all-season tire option...2Gen and 3Gen versions didn't). And, last, it would have to have better interior materials...I'm not impressed with the interior materials used in the present one.

I like the IS a lot but Lexus can do so much more with the IS line. By not continuing the IS F Lexus losses some credibility in continuing the heritage of the performance line within the IS line.
Full-F versions (as opposed to the much more popular F-Sport) were never that big a portion of IS sales to start with. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on the image/heritage issue (you might have a point), but there probably is not a strong business case for it.

Reactions
you have to compare the IS to the BMW 330 which has more horsepower and torque. the 320 is the BMW base version of the 330 with manual seats, no moon roof, ect... on most builds although you can get some of those features. The IS300 has a lot of potential int he motor already, they just need to unlock it from the ECU, intake, and put a turbo 6 in the IS350. A new IS F would be awesome to complete the line up of RC F and GS F which i don't think they have done as well with as they had hoped but then again with naturally aspirated V8 motors they are behind the competition that already have more powerful motors with more torque and lighter weight.

I am excited to see the LS500 released with the turbo 6, i haven't driven one yet but i hear it is incredible.

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
I've upgraded my 2014 IS350 F-Sport to the 2017 in Ultrasonic Blue 2.0. I just want Lexus to make a new IS-F in the current IS body style. It would look slick and the perfect size for what I want. GSF is too big for me, and the RCF would need 4 doors. TIME TO FILL THE GAP! ugh. :)

GNS

Follower
Reactions
I'm very interested in the IS350, anybody know what changes might be happening for 2020? I am almost certain it won't get a turbo V6 (it just doesn't seem like Lexus to do this except on the higher end models first), but what about the platform? Why is the current IS350 AWD using an outdated 6 speed auto when there is an 8 speed (or even 10 speed) available?

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
So far no word on what’s changing for the upcoming 2019 or 2020 IS350.

As of this moment, Lexus will be hosting the new ES350 around July. I’ll be attending the launch tour for my dealership. I’m betting on Lexus focusing their attention on the very popular ES350.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
So far no word on what’s changing for the upcoming 2019 or 2020 IS350.

As of this moment, Lexus will be hosting the new ES350 around July. I’ll be attending the launch tour for my dealership. I’m betting on Lexus focusing their attention on the very popular ES350.

Ok thanks. Speed wise, do you feel like your IS350 is close to the 340i/S4, or is it more like the 330i/A4?

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
I have yet to test drive the 330i/S4 or 330i/A4 so I can not speak from experience, but I will say it's more potent than the 330i 2.oL I-4 turbo. For what the car is being normally aspirated and one of the most reliable engines built, it's good for what it is. Like most car enthusiasts, we can arguably say more power is always better. :) Why I wish we had a new Generation IS-F. I would suggest test driving all those cars before deciding on what to get to make the best decision for your taste. I'll say pick the IS350 F-sport, but you could say I'm a little bias.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
I have yet to test drive the 330i/S4 or 330i/A4 so I can not speak from experience, but I will say it's more potent than the 330i 2.oL I-4 turbo. For what the car is being normally aspirated and one of the most reliable engines built, it's good for what it is. Like most car enthusiasts, we can arguably say more power is always better. :) Why I wish we had a new Generation IS-F. I would suggest test driving all those cars before deciding on what to get to make the best decision for your taste. I'll say pick the IS350 F-sport, but you could say I'm a little bias.

I'm looking at Lexus because of the brand's reputation for reliability. I can accept being half a second slower to 60 if it means not having the car in the shop every month.

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
It's a potent car. You can really have some fun with it in Sport S+ mode and turning off traction control. The beast within is waiting. Plus, the 2018 has the Torsen Limited Slip Differential upgrade. Wish I had that in my 2017.