Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Well all of the reviews seem to be quite poor of the CVT 4 speed. The rubber band effect is still there. Also, they say the engine speed is poorly matched to the gears and still has the effect of not dropping properly when you shift to the next gear.

The 4AT in the LC500h actually works wonders to remedy the rubber band feel of the eCVT.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/lc/97970/new-lexus-lc-500h-2017-review

"Lexus calls it a multi-stage shift device, but does it work? Surprisingly, perhaps, yes it does. Where you used to floor the throttle and wince as the engine revs rise and stay there, the four-speed box will change down a whole gear (that means going from ninth to sixth on the ten-speed scale) and move through the gears much the same way as a traditional auto would. It even offers slightly slicker changes.

There’s still a slight hold of the revs before a ‘ratio’ is swapped, but along with a lovely engine note that’s enhanced and fed into the cabin mechanically rather than electronically. It adds to the enjoyment of the car – especially if you get a kick out of knowing how the tech is working under the skin."

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Well all of the reviews seem to be quite poor of the CVT 4 speed. The rubber band effect is still there. Also, they say the engine speed is poorly matched to the gears and still has the effect of not dropping properly when you shift to the next gear.
Well the AutoExpress review I quoted speaks highly of the 4AT-eCVT, so it isn't exactly "all of the reviews" that think poorly of the new CVT, is it? I'll give you another positive review of the LC500h's CVT here:
http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/2018-lexus-lc500-500s-first-drive-concept-road-car

In fact, all the reviews I've seen so far that think poorly of the new CVT think so only because they're comparing the LC500h directly to the LC500, which likely has one of the best transmissions in the industry right now. AutoExpress and AutoWeek, on the other hand, compare the LC500h to the other hybrids, and find the transmission with much to like. For a GT car I think the new 4AT-CVT is a great fit and a great blend of efficiency and feel.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
interesting that there was no space between the LC and the F...
Yeah, I was surprised by that, too. The space is clearly there in both European filings but not in the American one. I don't know if that has any great significance. Then again, it seems that Toyota USA can sometimes be a bit careless in their trademark filings. They initially filed the trademark for their Nissan Juke rival as CH-R (CH-dash-R), realized their mistake and had to file a second one with the correct C-HR (C-dash-HR)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-02-20-lexus-lc-f-trademark.jpg

Future badge also included in the submission.
View the original article post

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Sooner or later it will make it's debut
We already knew this from the time we knew there will be a car based on lflc
The question is what's the power train

Madi

Fan
Reactions
I'm strongly with the Hybrid powertrain since I heard before from some sources of that, the engine compartment is so tight and there is no room for Supercharger or Turbos.

Lexus-LC_500-2018-1024-27.jpg

So I guess its either, a smaller engine with twin turbo (maybe a V6 ), or High performance Hybrid

Last edited:
Reactions: Den

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
I'm strongly with the Hybrid powertrain since I heard before from some sources of that, the engine compartment is so tight and there is no room for Supercharger or Turbos.

So I guess its either, a smaller engine with twin turbo (maybe a V6 ), or High performance Hybrid
Not necessarily. BMW puts its twin-turbos between the banks of the V8 so it's just about as compact as the regular V8. Lexus can learn from them.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/eight_cylinder_engine.html

Reactions

As much as I'd like to see a TT V8, I think the Lexus engineers will follow the footsteps of the new NSX engineers. The hybrid motor will add another 90-100 hp. Lexus has to know that the bulk of the performance enthusiast won't be able to afford this. The real question will be what the increase in price is. I say a 25K bump at least.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
I predict they going to tune the current 5liter v8 in the LC for higher power. There is a lot of power to be had in this 5liter without the use of turbo. If they use turbos this would mean an LC500 would still sound better then an LCF