5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

RAL

Reactions
You always hit the nail on the head, Kevin ... it is all about YET ... the sport of performance, yet luxurious!
And it is no longer German-esk, it is Japanese!
The first LS stole Germany's thunder. This new LS forges new THUNDERLIGHT!

Last edited:

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
1. I am glad that chrome is making a come back. I love that balance of sculpted chrome around the side windows, door handles, and the bottom of the doors.
2. Lexus is finally branding itself. I love that it says, "Lexus," on the headlights!
3. I like the seemingly consistent glow of the LED DRLs. I hate inconsistent LEDs, and it gets worse when you view them from off-angles.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
It seems those wheels will be optional. Good eye :)

btw, glad you took that video because it confirms what I envisioned. That is, the LS is sexy as hell with tinted windows hinting at the Model S.

@krew I anticipate the same reactions when I will see the LS in the flesh. Already very impressed now... :)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I am glad that chrome is making a comeback. I love that balance of sculpted chrome around the side windows, door handles, and the bottom of the doors.

+1. :thumbsup:

I've always felt that body-color-painted or flat-black trim-surfaces (which many consider sport-oriented) looks cheap. Give me chrome any day of the week, as long as it is not in a position to reflect glare from the sun into the driver's eyes...that's why chrome wiper-arms were outlawed in American-spec cars decades ago.

One (useful) exception, though, is the unpainted lower-body-cladding on SUVs and vehicles designed for winter use...it protects the lower-body from paint-damage from gravel and debris on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions
I think they are taking on a horsepower-/torque-related numbering system.But really, what the others are naming their cars is probably the most important factor. The marketing people would want an LS350 competing with an S550 (or whatever...too lazy to look up exact model names).

Sorry. I meant "The marketing people would NOT want an LS350 competing with an S550..." But I think somebody else made this point much clearer.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Sorry. I meant "The marketing people would NOT want an LS350 competing with an S550..." But I think somebody else made this point much clearer.

I think a N/A LS350 would make sense for those who like the LS's ride and comfort, but don't care much about power or a large engine. I'd (possibly) be interested in one myself.....though an LS is a little large for my condo parking space.

Reactions
I think a N/A LS350 would make sense for those who like the LS's ride and comfort, but don't care much about power or a large engine. I'd (possibly) be interested in one myself.....though an LS is a little large for my condo parking space.

Yes, I agree. And that could compete with the S400's 329 hp. But they're not going to make an "S550-fighter" (this LS500) and call it something that looks numerically to be on about the same level as the S400.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
If Lexus is introducing a high end hybrid above the LS500, why haven't we seen any trademark filings of a LS600h or LS500h?

As I was writing this post, I decided to google "LS500h trademark" and it looks like Lexus did indeed trademark the LS500h.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/05/lexus-ls500h-trademarked-in-europe.html

I'm hoping for a V8 hybrid, but then it would have been called the LS600h right?

Madi

Fan
Reactions
If Lexus is introducing a high end hybrid above the LS500, why haven't we seen any trademark filings of a LS600h or LS500h?

As I was writing this post, I decided to google "LS500h trademark" and it looks like Lexus did indeed trademark the LS500h.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/05/lexus-ls500h-trademarked-in-europe.html

I'm hoping for a V8 hybrid, but then it would have been called the LS600h right?

The engine of the LS 500h doesn't need any speculations.

It's definitely a Multi-Stage Hybrid system with NA V6 3.5L

This video explains the system ( It's exceed the previous V8 hybrid model in terms of performance, quietness, fuel economy, and electric only driving speed ):

Reactions
Saw the car in person this afternoon. It is bold, beautiful and elegant, befitting the Lexus flagship. Pictures and videos in my opinion, do not do justice to this magnificent creation. And the interior is unlike anything else in the show and one can easily understand why it won that award.
I also learned that the rear view mirror is actually a camera screen. Explains the two cameras over the rear licence plate. Surprised that I did not hear / read about it earlier.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
^^^ Very interesting. With two cameras I wonder if it does any trick processing to show how close to you things are.

Reactions
^^^ Very interesting. With two cameras I wonder if it does any trick processing to show how close to you things are.
One camera is perhaps for the rear view monitor when reversing the car. I could actually see myself in the mirror through the camera. I think we will hear about the many features of this car in the next few months starting with the Geneva motor show. Very exciting times for all Lexus fans.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I also learned that the rear view mirror is actually a camera screen. Explains the two cameras over the rear licence plate. Surprised that I did not hear / read about it earlier.

Yes, you are probably going to see more and more of that on future upscale vehicles......at least partly because of the crappy rear-visibility that goes with the low rooflines, wide C/D-pillars, Peek-a-Boo rear windows, and raised rear beltlines/window-sills that stylists are putting on so many of today's vehicles.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Yes, you are probably going to see more and more of that on future upscale vehicles......at least partly because of the crappy rear-visibility that goes with the low rooflines, wide C/D-pillars, Peek-a-Boo rear windows, and raised rear beltlines/window-sills that stylists are putting on so many of today's vehicles.

Although I like the high tech nature of the rearview mirror as a screen, in practice I am concerned on its effectiveness as a replacement to a traditional mirror. Road spray, especially salt-laden roads in winter hitting the lens, will immediately blur the image. I see this daily with my rear view backup cam and wiping the lens clean only lasts until the car moves again. Maybe Lexus figured something out in terms of the lens cover minimizing road spray adhesion or with the design or aerodynamics of the car that prevents the spray from reaching the lens.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
Although I like the high tech nature of the rearview mirror as a screen, in practice I am concerned on its effectiveness as a replacement to a traditional mirror. Road spray, especially salt-laden roads in winter hitting the lens, will immediately blur the image. I see this daily with my rear view backup cam and wiping the lens clean only lasts until the car moves again. Maybe Lexus figured something out in terms of the lens cover minimizing road spray adhesion or with the design or aerodynamics of the car that prevents the spray from reaching the lens.

Actually it's not replacement, you can switch between the traditional mirror and the rear view camera, this tech isn't all new see this CT6 :

( I don't know if the Lexus' system have more functions, but I mean the same general idea here )

There are many tricks you can apply to any surface to prevent any thing to adhesion to it, such as using Nano-Technology to process the final layer of the camera, as I see it in a concept of wiperless windshield.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

A good point.....and a legitimate concern. That's one reason (among many) why I like a conservative body-design with high rooflines, large windows, and good outward visibility to start with. But, as you note, there are some tricks that engineers can use to keep the camera-lenses relatively clear even in sloppy conditions, including spoiler-devices to use deflected air-currents to blow salt and water away from the camera lens. The lens can also be placed as far away from the road surface as feasible for the design of the vehicle.

Reactions
A good point.....and a legitimate concern. That's one reason (among many) why I like a conservative body-design with high rooflines, large windows, and good outward visibility to start with. But, as you note, there are some tricks that engineers can use to keep the camera-lenses relatively clear even in sloppy conditions, including spoiler-devices to use deflected air-currents to blow salt and water away from the camera lens. The lens can also be placed as far away from the road surface as feasible for the design of the vehicle.
I went to the auto show again and the rear view mirror can be switched from regular view to the camera view by flicking a lever on the mirror. Also noticed that the trunk space was generous.