2016 Lexus RX Models Sold in USA to Miss Out on Latest Lighting Technology

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Gecko
15-09-09-lexus-rx-taillight-400x200.jpg

No Lexus vehicle in the USA will have the progressive turn signals due to federal regulations.
View the original article post

Hamed Al Ketbi

Founding Member
Reactions
BEST BRAND #Lexus
And one question!
When the (Art Gallery By Lexus) is going to open in Dubai?

Reactions
thats really annoying... a signal turn lighting law? how is that going to hurt someone obviously they look like turn signals so people should not have a problem with it.

Reactions
Wow, they might as well ban people with tinted tail lights! cuz that is annoying and hardly visible!!! ridiculous.

D

DDas

That's so dumb. Honestly, fire trucks have that type of lighting technology and they're allowed (and fire trucks' turn signal lights are small circles with an arrow that lights up like the RX's). That one video of an RX spotted in China (I believe) on the highway with an X5 behind it looked good with these turn signals! I thought it was clear to see them! America is whack.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
My opinion is that Toyota/Lexus should pursue a one-time exemption for this particular model only, if they haven't already.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Weird regulation. If I am not mistaken, the same issue exists for Audi top models in the U.S.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
Here is my thought... Some halogens take a while to light up the minimum required surface area. By that time, the LEDs will have already lit up the minimum required surface area. If that is not the case, Lexus can perhaps speed things up a bit. Perhaps, Lexus should join forces with Audi whose A8 has this outside the US as well.

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
Its an easy fix!

Instead of making 1 light up, make 2 segments light up together!

Reactions
sigh.. time to spend extra money and outsource jdm tail lights after the rx is released in america. whos going to stop me now? the police? feds? traffic cops?

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
sigh.. time to spend extra money and outsource jdm tail lights after the rx is released in america. whos going to stop me now? the police? feds? traffic cops?
"Sir, are you aware of the fact that those taillights you are sporting are not legal?" "Well, if that's the case, why don't you bother that guy in the mustang also officer?"

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
That's so dumb. Honestly, fire trucks have that type of lighting technology and they're allowed (and fire trucks' turn signal lights are small circles with an arrow that lights up like the RX's). That one video of an RX spotted in China (I believe) on the highway with an X5 behind it looked good with these turn signals! I thought it was clear to see them! America is whack.
Maybe Lexus can try to registrate the RX as a 'truck'.
Sometimes I think it's only a matter of protection of your own market.
I bet that the 'rule' will be updated as a US automaker also has this option ...
btw, Lexus is not the first one with this gadget...

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
I don't get it.
I saw it a couple of months ago, on another car model, and it is visually better !
It's a feature just like the 'third' stop light, some years ago, so, what's the problem ?
Believe me, you can't miss this when you see it before you.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah its kind of ironic that the best safety is this method but because of outdated laws we can't get it here, thus making the car potentially less safe.

Ford seems to have found a good way around this with their Mustang. Not sure of the exact loophole, maybe b/c its 3 seperate lights?

B__

Reactions
I wonder how hard it will be to source a Euro-market body computer (or whatever computer controls the logic of those LED's) and just swap it into a U.S. market car? Only time will tell - I'm sure someone will get around to it.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
How about Canadian market? Are we seeing these new turn signals in RX and LX?

Reactions
I wonder how hard it will be to source a Euro-market body computer (or whatever computer controls the logic of those LED's) and just swap it into a U.S. market car? Only time will tell - I'm sure someone will get around to it.
It probably won't take too long...I've seen older Mustangs with the sequential tail light retrofit, but then those older Stangs don't have LEDs like the newer ones so they're much less complicated.