Report: All-New Lexus RX will not be Offered as Three-Row Crossover

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
CIF
15-09-09-lexus-rx-three-row-crossover-400x200.jpg

Lexus RX chief engineer Takayuki Katsuda explains that while there is considerable dealer demand for a seven-seat crossover, it won't be an RX with an extra row.
View the original article post

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
I'm not saying that this is bad news, however, I know MANY people that were really hoping for a 3rd row to be made available.

Reactions
I am glad to hear the RX will remain a two row vehicle. There are plenty of minivans and large SUVs out there with 3 rows. There is a reason the RX is Lexus' biggest seller. It's the perfect vehicle for many people. Also, many of of these 3rd rows that are coming out are useless for anyone except a small child.

Reactions: RAL

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
This answer was to be expected. No Lexus management member is allowed to discuss future product plans in detail, so it is quite normal that Katsuda-san doesn't reveal any 7 seater plans.
However, if market request is real (and I believe it is - certainly if it comes from the brand's biggest market), then why shouldn't they plan a 7 seater SUV, based on the underpinnings of the RX?

Remember the statement from Bracken last year:
“Third-row seating is the No. 1 issue we hear from dealers,” Lexus Division chief Jeff Bracken said at the auto show here. “We feel like we’re missing a 35,000-units-a-year opportunity. We’re working hard to rectify that.”
“It could be any number of solutions,” Bracken said. “We could bring it to market in 2016 or 2017. If we can get it, that’s the priority. We won’t be bothered if it steps on RX. We want it.”

If the request from the U.S. is that strong, a 7 seater SUV should be closer to market than Katsuda-san pretends. But I am also convinced that the camouflaged RX test cars that were spotted recently in different media are 7 seater prototypes.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Everything I've been told without being told is a 3 row car based SUV is coming.....So thats my 2 cents...

Reactions: CIF

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Please god base it on a RWD architecture. Honestly, basing it on the next gen LS/GS platform might make sense...?

I know it's not likely....... but please.

:D

D

DDas

I am still convinced the spotted mysterious RX is a mule for the three row crossover. Lexus doesn't understand the demand for a three row crossover and how well it'll help sales. They're losing sales because of it.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Don't be fooled by the fake demand. It similar to the demand that demands stick shift boxes when it made very few will buy it

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I think all this article means is that whenever a Lexus 3-row crossover appears, it's not going to be an RX variant, but a new model :).

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I do wonder is there room for a 3rd row SUV in the Lexus line-up? We already have an NX now a new RX then GX then LX. I mean BMW only has the X5 for a third row. Audi just has the Q7. MB just has the GL. Lexus already has two models with a third row wouldn't a third just kind of be overkill? Just a thought.

Reactions
TX would be an unwise choice, don't you think, considering the very similar Acura model name.

RX-L sounds good if it's based on the RL chassis. It trades on the popularity of the RX and signals that it is a similar vehicle.

RAL

Reactions
Why the shell game? ...

Less than a year ago the Lexus Advisory Board was extensively surveyed as to preference for a 'sporty' or 'utilitarian" D-pillar in a forthcoming SUV ...
Timing would suggest a new third-row model is still some distance in the future.
Why is dealer demand so significant when Lexus already has the now stronger selling GX?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
TX would be an unwise choice, don't you think, considering the very similar Acura model name.

RX-L sounds good if it's based on the RL chassis. It trades on the popularity of the RX and signals that it is a similar vehicle.

Well, if you are going to worry about Lexus confusion with Acura's own alphabet soup, then why say that RX-L sounds good? It would be pretty close to Acura's RLX .

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Why is dealer demand so significant when Lexus already has the now stronger selling GX?

The most likely answer to that is that the demand is for a 3rd-row crossover, unibody SUV. The GX is truck-based......and generally drives like it.

Reactions: CIF

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
Some brought up the interesting point of there being 5 SUVs. I don't know if Lexus can successfully support all those vehicles.
As much as I like the GX and its place in the luxury market, if you're going to bring a 3 row crossover in, kill the GX or give it the nameplate of GX.

The other option, is just offer the RX as an L model and stretch it out. You could keep the GX then. But I'm sure they've thought this all out already.

D

DDas

Am i the only one not a fan of the name TX? I don't know why but it just doesn't work for me. I'm not really a fan of the name NX either but now I'm used to it so maybe I'd get used to TX as well. I just think that making a stretched RX (named RX350l - just an example) would make more sense. It would boost the RX sales even more.