More Details on the 2016 Lexus GS 200t

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Gecko
15-08-28-lexus-gs-200t-2016-400x200.jpg

With four-cylinder engines making up to 40% of all Audi and BMW midsize sedan sales in the USA, the release of the Lexus GS 200t and its 2.0L turbo engine has come at an excellent time.
View the original article post

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
F Sport has been a success for Lexus especially with the IS. Now, it's time for Lexus to unveil the 2016 GS F Sport.

Chase C.

Fan
Reactions
I wish the GS 200t had the exhaust tips like the RC and ES and the GS 350 would keep the exhaust tops it has now.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
It's good to hear sales are up 10% in the first half of this year. I'm a huge fan of of the GS and glad to hear it's gaining in popularity. I think adding the turbo 4 to the line will help increase sales by (hopefully) dropping the price and upping the gas mileage. My only concern is that with 241 hp it might be a bit of a slug.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
2.0L turbo should make nice base engine. Modern premium turbo 4's (versus NA 4 cylinder engines) do a better job of providing usable power with a nice torque curve even with modest horsepower ratings. And still offering a extra cost higher output V6 engine is good marketing.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I think adding the turbo 4 to the line will help increase sales by (hopefully) dropping the price and upping the gas mileage. My only concern is that with 241 hp it might be a bit of a slug.

It's 258 ft-lbs. of torque, though, which is not far from many N/A V6s. In a car of the GS's weight (3700-3800 lbs.), that should probably be enough for the RWD version.....but the AWD version adds weight and drag. It might, as you suspect, make the AWD version a bit of a slug, if they offer it that way.

Reactions
Is the Lexus GS 200t. Going to be released in the US and if so when is the release date ???

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
I sincerely hope that Lexus will soon announce a 6 cylinder 3.0l turbo engine. That would seal the deal for many performance-oriented buyers when comparing a Lexus with the German alternatives. Such an engine in the RC (300t?) would help overcome the problematic power : weight ratio of the current RC350 by means of the added torque in the lower rev range.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I sincerely hope that Lexus will soon announce a 6 cylinder 3.0l turbo engine. That would seal the deal for many performance-oriented buyers when comparing a Lexus with the German alternatives. Such an engine in the RC (300t?) would help overcome the problematic power : weight ratio of the current RC350 by means of the added torque in the lower rev range.

True. But my fear is, unlike the Germans, the engine can't be tuned. So as a tuner it's a waste of a turbo. To date no one has touched the new 2.0t.

Contrarily with a remapped ECU, most turbo or s/c German engines can be easily tuned for more power.

LEXUS PLEASE LET US BE ABLE TO TUNE FUTURE F/I ENGINES! :)

Och

Admirer
Reactions

I don't know if a 3.0 turbo in a car like GS is truly better than the current 3.5L NA. For instance, BMWs 3.0 does great in 2/3 series, but it is tuned more for comfort in the 5 series, and as a result the 535 is really not responsive and doesn't feel faster than GS350.

Of course a new generation of turbo motors is coming from BMW, which are going to be making ~360hp vs current motors that are making ~300.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
True. But my fear is, unlike the Germans, the engine can't be tuned. So as a tuner it's a waste of a turbo. To date no one has touched the new 2.0t.

Contrarily with a remapped ECU, most turbo or s/c German engines can be easily tuned for more power.

LEXUS PLEASE LET US BE ABLE TO TUNE FUTURE F/I ENGINES! :)

AFAIK, these german engines are not tuned through ECU directly, but through piggyback chips that modify MAP sensor data being fed to the main ECU. I'm actually getting one of these chips for my 235, supposed to be delivered today. :D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I ask because I went to the dealership and they said it was not going to be released in the United States Lexus GS 200t

I won't say the dealership is wrong, but people at that level don't always get the latest information in a timely manner. The entire system of marketing in the auto industry, IMO, needs to be vastly transformed to make it much more transparent than it is now....the current system sometimes borders on the absurd.

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
I won't say the dealership is wrong, but people at that level don't always get the latest information in a timely manner. The entire system of marketing in the auto industry, IMO, needs to be vastly transformed to make it much more transparent than it is now....the current system sometimes borders on the absurd.
amen to that. I work for a Lexus dealership and still end up getting more info from this site than from our reps within the company, haha.

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions

I agree with you totally. I'm at a huge dealership (600+ new Lexus per month or more) and one would think we might be able to get better advance information. Customers are always calling in asking about future products, but the culture here is spread apart. Depending on who they can get on the phone will depend on the quality of the information they receive. Now if a salesperson or service adviser has a great relationship with a customer in regards to talking shop, well then that's one thing. But often people hear a rumor about a product and then randomly call us or email us because we're SEO. There is a nice percentage of us who are true Lexus geeks and we can talk product endlessly, but then there are just regular car sales people who just are good at moving metal by selling the numbers only. But sadly most of our information comes from this site or others and only a tidbit of my information comes from Lexus classes or discussions with reps.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
But often people hear a rumor about a product and then randomly call us or email us because we're SEO.

That's just the point. They should not be rumors in the first place. They should either be facts or not be released at all (and I myself have sometimes been guilty of getting into rumors too deep). And, to be fair, you can't always blame the automaker's customer-service reps, either........remarkably, sometimes even THEY are keep out of the loop by higher-ups. o_O