Updated 2016 Lexus GS Lineup Now Includes GS 200t with 2.0L Turbo Engine

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-08-13-2016-lexus-gs-200t-400x200.jpg

When the Lexus GS F debuted at the North American International Auto Show earlier this year, it was only a matter of time before the standard GS would see an update.
View the original article post

Reactions: CIF

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
For the first time ever, love the standard front-end on a Lexus better than the F equivalent. The chisled front bumper, grille design, and lights get my vote over the GS F's front end which looks too familiar to all other F/F Sport models.

Nice to see (finally) a bump in power for the 350 despite the small increase.

Is the GS 200t available in the N. American market?

Reactions: RAL

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Seems like a nice update overall. I wish we had pics of the F Sport and interior on the GS 350 Luxury model.

Reactions: CIF

RAL

Reactions
Big thumbs-up to the evolution of the spindle grille (sporty yet refined) and overall attention to detail on the RX, LX, and GS.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Have to say the front end is pretty busy, and I can see how someone can call it ugly.
I want the DRLs integrated with the headlight design. The IS makes the separate parts work, but that's not a go-to move. The rest looks tastefully done. They almost hit the mark here. Just too much going on up front.
BD

Reactions
This is what the FSport should've looked like! I can imagine this thing in black hmmmm. So is the LED strip all one piece like the LS now?

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Nice update, 2.0t being expected for base engine.

IMHO, I'm very disappointed in the horsepower/torque bump of the 3.5L, it's troubling if that's all RC350 gets too.

And that sounds like the bulk of the hardware side of what was announced at Pebble today.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
That Headlight cannot get any uglier...
They did a really good job with the taillights.
These are the base headlights, higher grade models get the 3L LED versions like shown on the GS F which look better

Reactions
why did they make it like the new toyota camry? the lower part of the front looks just like the camry, i like it, but it should be different....now lexus haters will start talking about it being a toyota after all....

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
After seeing this update I feel like getting another GS FSport. This looks simply amazing and we haven't seen the FSport as yet. With the new 2.0L turbo base engine Lexus should see an increase in sales and better compete with the Germans, Great job Lexus!

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Finally another engine option! Love the new front end, but wish they hadn't "cheaped out" by using the '13 - '15 tail light housing for the new tail light design, but It's a minor dislike - it's better looking, more dynamic and IMHO a well-done update. Good on Lexus!

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I'm seeing a heavy car with a small engine struggling to keep up. It's not a popular opinion here, but I HATE dumping the 4-cylinder into everything they make. If Lexus stops making V6 RWD cars, or starts charging a premium for them over the 4's, they're losing my business.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm seeing a heavy car with a small engine struggling to keep up. It's not a popular opinion here, but I HATE dumping the 4-cylinder into everything they make. If Lexus stops making V6 RWD cars, or starts charging a premium for them over the 4's, they're losing my business.

At just over 3,800lbs, this isn't really a heavy car. In addition, this motor is more powerful and more efficient than the 3.0L V6 that Lexus sold in the 2006 GS 300, and nobody ever complained about that.

0-60 in 7.2 is a conservative estimate, IMO. I'm betting it's closer to 6.5 or so. And returning 33mpg highway is nothing to laugh at.

For years, Lexus built cars for the American market and then sold them everywhere else. Now, Lexus builds global cars and tries to suit all markets - most of which have higher taxes than we do on large displacement engines. 2.0Ts are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Reactions
I hope the 2.0t comes with a price drop hopefully 2-3k I don't think the v6 deserves a bump

Reactions
Couple things that grabbed my attention in the product details:

1. On Lexus.com they list the 2016 IS200T as being over 150 pounds lighter than the IS350. But in the product information document here for the 2016 GS, they list the GS200T as weighing 80 pounds MORE than the GS350. I have no idea as to why there would be such a huge discrepancy between the 2 iterations considering they should be using the same 2.0T and 3.5L V6 engines.

2. I'm Impressed with the 33 mpg highway number. If this car can get 33 on the highway, I would expect the IS 200T to be around 34 mpg hwy.

3. Whyyy on earth is there such a huge mpg difference between the standard GS200T and the 200T F Sport. I can't believe that a few modifications would make it drop from 22/33 mpg to 20/30 mpg.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I guess the F-Sport gearing is that much more aggressive, thus the loss in MPG. Note the cabernet interior is replaced with rioja red. Now the IS has it but its nuluxe so curious how this works for the GS (is it leather?).

With the Germans offering 4 cylinders in this class, the 2.0t is a welcome addition.

Not in love with the front but I really love the rear end touches. Its also great the NAV can now take up the entire 12.3" screen.

Overall nice updates by Lexus.