Lexus Getting Ready to Announce a Three-Row Crossover?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-08-13-lexus-rx-three-row-crossover-400x200.jpg

Lexus USA general manager Jeff Bracken shares some details on the much-rumored three-row crossover in a recent interview with WardsAuto.
View the original article post

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I too prefer its own model, but if the recent spied 99%-identical-looking-RX prototype is indeed the next 3-row CUV, it's going to be an "RX L" which I don't mind as it elevates the stature of the RX. But then, "L" has been for long-wheelbase and that prototype matches exactly in wheelbase with the regular RX. :confused:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
TX must be a model on its own and be RWD-based. In this case it will be even able to fit a V8 hybrid.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I think either way the option of RX-derived bigger 3rd row SUV will add significant incremental sales. I think "RXL"-ish naming is fine since it's easily recognized and associated with extremely successful RX. (Acura should be competitor most concerned about this news)

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think either way the option of RX-derived bigger 3rd row SUV will add significant incremental sales. I think "RXL"-ish naming is fine since it's easily recognized and associated with extremely successful RX. (Acura should be competitor most concerned about this news)

Lexus being Lexus and Toyota being Toyota, it would be good if they made separate model like they planned with TX... it is easier to sell that model for more money, not having $40k model base... also gets something for people to upgrade to.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I think that would be a terrible idea. ("Turrible, turrible, turrible!" - Charles Barkley). The RX sells 8-10k vehicles a month, twice what anybody else does. What sales is it missing? Make a bigger RX above it. Problem solved. The RX doesn't need a 3rd row or more sales. It's like the fastest runner in a race chasing the slower runners around, just because.

What is the point? Stop it.....
BD

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree with BD. Can't be hurting too much if it's the top selling luxury CUV by a long shot. That being said, a three row CUV from Lexus is a death warrant for both Lexus's own GX460 and pretty much the Acura brand as a whole.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I agree with BD. Can't be hurting too much if it's the top selling luxury CUV by a long shot. That being said, a three row CUV from Lexus is a death warrant for both Lexus's own GX460 and pretty much the Acura brand as a whole.

I also more or less agree with BD that, given the 2-row RX's sales numbers, it certainly does not need fixing....it's not broken. And, yes, an all-new 3-row car-based SUV, slightly larger than the current RX, would probably be feasible....it would replace the current slow-selling GX. But, aside from that, the main reason for the GX's demise is not because of the current lack of a 3-row crossover. Lexus simply doesn't need two traditional truck-based SUVs, and, outside the U.S., the LX is a far better seller.

Whether it would be a catastrophe or not for the Acura brand, though, remains to be seen. The MDX, in particular, has always had a large group of followers, and certainly won't pass away overnight.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Obviously more people want a 5 seat RX based on sales. Dealers seem to be worried about the minority of buyers here when they have a GX that is now selling well.

Though I do think a 7 seat RX will immediately hurt the MDX, Enclave, QX60 etc who all seem to live and do well since they offer that small third row. I'm sure we have all seen and know people that jumped to another brand since they wanted a car based SUV.

My wife for example would LOVE a 7 seat RX as she isn't a big fan of the GX.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Why the 7 seat GX does not appeal to all is because it is a BOV true 4x4 rather than a crossover. Overall Toyota/Lexus have to revise their portfolio strategy. To many cars is not a good thing, especially in a mature market that is approaching disruption.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions

I also more or less agree with BD that, given the 2-row RX's sales numbers, it certainly does not need fixing....it's not broken. And, yes, an all-new 3-row car-based SUV, slightly larger than the current RX, would probably be feasible....it would replace the current slow-selling GX. But, aside from that, the main reason for the GX's demise is not because of the current lack of a 3-row crossover. Lexus simply doesn't need two traditional truck-based SUVs, and, outside the U.S., the LX is a far better seller.

Whether it would be a catastrophe or not for the Acura brand, though, remains to be seen. The MDX, in particular, has always had a large group of followers, and certainly won't pass away overnight.
The GX has been a hit since it got its facelift in 2013. Sales have doubled. Sales have been so good, they may try and sell the GX along with the TX.
BD

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah it sounds like the GX and LX are their most profitable models so makes little sense to kill them. Again I don't see why they can't offer BOV and Unibody SUVs. Look at how many SUVs the German's offer now.

The aggressive spindle really goes well with these big macho SUVs.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yeah it sounds like the GX and LX are their most profitable models so makes little sense to kill them.

Agree on the profitability issue, but, according to Templin (though this interview is admittedly a few months old), tightening regs are putting the squeeze on them.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/02/lexus-gx-lx-future-uncertain-exclusive/

With the debut of an all-new RX, Lexus is in a position for continued strong sales in the luxury SUV arena. The fourth-generation RX has grown, making room for the new NX model beneath it. But further up the ladder, things could change for the GX and LX.

In an interview with Autoblog at the 2015 New York Auto Show, Lexus executive vice president Mark Templin gave some hints at the future of his brand's SUV lineup. "With NX and RX, we have a really good one-two punch in the crossover segments, and we think we can cover most of the markets with that," he said.

As for the larger, three-row GX and LX models, which are built on a traditional ladder-frame chassis, things aren't so clear. Templin noted the the success of both models all over the world – the LX is the best-selling Lexus in Saudi Arabia. The same is true for sales here, he said: "We do very well with those products in the United States – GX has been a great product for us in the US for the last couple of years since its initial introduction. But the future of those vehicles longer term is in doubt because of regulations that are being driven by governments all over the world."

Don't start stockpiling LX 570s in anticipation of shortages just yet. Templin didn't give any specifics; he just notes that tightening fuel economy and emissions regulations could affect product planning. In our analysis, if and when GX rides off into the sunset, Lexus still needs a midsize, three-row SUV to fill that gap. The most likely candidate for that is some variation on the RX.

Whether or not that's the case, don't expect a BMW-like proliferation of body styles from Toyota'sluxury division. "It creates problems. It creates complexity, that's hard for every step of the process," Templin said, nothing that too many models stresses the design department, manufacturing, and even dealers inventory selection.

As for the bottom end of the lineup, Templin wouldn't comment on a compact SUV below the NX, saying "I think there are more potential options for us in the future, but we're not trying to grow the number of models we have in our lineup. It's not really what our core business is about." For now, Lexus and Templin are focused on launching the RX, which accounts for three of every 10 Lexus models ever sold. The 2016 model, available in RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid versions, goes on sale by the end of the year.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I would definitely prefer a new model, versus diluting the RX.

Also totally agree with the Acura comments. Acura is extremely dependent on MDX sales (not to mention RDX sales), and a Lexus 3-row CUV will have a serious impact on MDX sales. There are already signs the NX is affecting RDX sales. The new RX will likely have some effect too.