Rumors Swirl on Next-Generation Lexus LS Debut at Tokyo Motor Show

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-08-11-lexus-ls-models-400x200.jpg

Autocar is reporting the next-generation Lexus LS will debut at the Tokyo Motor Show this year, backing up an earlier report from Motoring Australia.
View the original article post

D

DDas

Im really excited to see this new model. Lexus needs to make it worth this long wait too (I believe they will lol). Personally, I think the LS will stay classic yet sporty like we see on the current one. I really hope its revealed soon, but we haven't seen any spy shots of it in its new body. We have seen mules previously but none of the actual prototype. (Same with the updated GS).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Look like LS and LC 500 will get NA V8 making +460 PS and LS and LC 500h will get NA V8 + hybrid making +530 PS. Numbers are really good, even more so for NA, but turbo would shut up others.

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
Pretty easy to get those figures - V8 LS = 5.0 V8 from RC-F

V8 LS hybrid - detuned RC-F motor with a hybrid setup

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wouldn't mind it if Lexus tuned the engine for less horsepower and more torque. I think 430hp/420lb-ft would be nice and produce more usable power down low.

One of the key reasons German sedans feel so much faster than what we have from Lexus is because of the low end torque courtesy of FI. Some 20 years ago, Lexus actually produced torquey engines and I miss them, if I'm honest!

Reactions: CIF

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Look forward to seeing the all new LS soon. I hope Lexus would not make too much compromise in the materials inside the cabin and that's where the existing LS (and the GS) shines.

It is sad to see more (intended) lack of refinements in recent lower end Lexus models such as IS and NX. I looked at the black-out tapes used in the upper portion of door trims in NX in the showroom the other day -- despite it looks better than the IS, the A-pillar corner (looking from the inside) is an eye sore. You can see where the black-out tape meets at the joint.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Look forward to seeing the all new LS soon. I hope Lexus would not make too much compromise in the materials inside the cabin and that's where the existing LS (and the GS) shines.

It is sad to see more (intended) lack of refinements in recent lower end Lexus models such as IS and NX. I looked at the black-out tapes used in the upper portion of door trims in NX in the showroom the other day -- despite it looks better than the IS, the A-pillar corner (looking from the inside) is an eye sore. You can see where the black-out tape meets at the joint.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. And even current LS and GS models can do better in a series of interior details, if I may say so.
GS: door handles alu look, but plastic feel / lower door panels plastic too hard, no soft touch in inner door pockets / F SPORT inserts have aluminium look, but has plastic touch / dash and upper door panels don't match fluently in design...
LS: some of the control buttons seem nineties design (especially in rear centre arm rest or at the left dash side) / some of the (glossy) wood doesn't look or feel enough premium / no leather dash in F SPORT / no massage or adaptive functions available for front seats...

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Unfortunately, I have to agree. And even current LS and GS models can do better in a series of interior details, if I may say so.
GS: door handles alu look, but plastic feel / lower door panels plastic too hard, no soft touch in inner door pockets / F SPORT inserts have aluminium look, but has plastic touch / dash and upper door panels don't match fluently in design...
LS: some of the control buttons seem nineties design (especially in rear centre arm rest or at the left dash side) / some of the (glossy) wood doesn't look or feel enough premium / no leather dash in F SPORT / no massage or adaptive functions available for front seats...

My observation is that Lexus have chosen to concentrate the efforts and use better materials in the dashboard and lower centre panel (the main T-shape area) in recent models to make it look premium and that's where an average buyer would focus on.

When the current GS came out a few years ago, the first thing I noticed is the plastic inner door handle. Then they have switched it back to chrome handle in ES and IS. But then we are seeing the same plastic door handles in NX. Probably for a better coordination in terms of texture and appearance with the rest of the door panels but at least they could have used a metal handle. Maybe matte finish metal.

To incorporate more safety and tech gadgets into lineup without increasing the price significantly, some cost cutting is unavoidable. However, it comes to a point where the cost cutting is too obvious and looks a bit inferior to competing models from its German competitors and it is quite upsetting -- Example : only non-premium brands would use black-out tapes on upper door frame. (Exception is Mercedes CLA where even black-out tape is not used!) Currently, CT, IS, ES and NX use black-out tapes and the upcoming RX appears to follow suit as well (from the pictures). I miss the plastic moulding on the upper door frames in previous IS and ES. Matte plastic mouldings are much more durable.