New Rumors on the Next-Generation Lexus CT

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-08-03-lexus-ct-next-generation-sketch-2-400x200.jpg

Japanese magazine Mag-X has some new rumors on the next-generation Lexus CT, including the above rendering that suggests the hybrid hatchback might get more than just a fresh new design.
View the original article post

D

DDas

I mean that would be cool but I was hoping for a more "Grand Tourer" hatchback we saw from the video that shows an interview with the exterior designer of the IS. It was posted a while ago but these are the sketches that were seen in the video.

Attachments

• 15-03-15-lexus-wagon-sketch.jpg
    15-03-15-lexus-wagon-sketch.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions
if they want the CT to be a true competitor they need to throw the 2 liter turbo in so people who want to have the sportiness and not feeling that they are just driving a luxury prius, while having the capabilities of taking your kid to soccer practice is possible. don't get me wrong they can still keep the hybrid motor they have but i think its safe to have 2 options to compete.

nabbun

Premium Member
Reactions
Interesting. It could also just be that the power train doesn't mount optimally in the CT200h mule they are using. The next prius is using tnga so........

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
if they want the CT to be a true competitor they need to throw the 2 liter turbo in so people who want to have the sportiness and not feeling that they are just driving a luxury prius, while having the capabilities of taking your kid to soccer practice is possible. don't get me wrong they can still keep the hybrid motor they have but i think its safe to have 2 options to compete.
I think a raised CT turbo would cannablized the NX.

Reactions: CIF
Reactions
If lexus wanted a GLC type competitor, they should just call the CT the CX, and keep the CT a hatchback with greater engine options. I say 2.0l turbo the 2.0l hybrid engine and for the f model (i know lexus said they weren't going to make an F version of the FWD models, But on can dream) use either a tuned version of the 2.0l turbo making around 300+ horsepower or just make a new 3.0l turbo that can be used throughout the line up

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
I am getting hopeful that it's going to be pretty neat - better looking, lighter and more fuel efficient for sure and the possibility of a CT 300h - but I am nervous that it won't have Apple ot android phone integration. Using Telenav could be a colossal blunder for Toyota/Lexus

Daniel Guyton

Premium Member
Reactions
GREAT IDEA.....lets make another flop like the HS. at least the current CT is kinda cool.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
I like it but it is very different from the current model thus no evolvement just a Big Bang approach. Agree that Lexus should offer an alternate power source like the 2 litre turbo motor or a brand new 1.6 turbo which Toyota need in their range anyway. Looking forward to more definite news and pics etc.

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
I am hopping for a true sexy hatchback with the new 2.0.L turbo engine. It would be a great choice for such a car.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Probably one of the the biggest questions with the CT, more so than the powertrain, is if we'll also see a sedan version. There seems to be a case both for against it. It can be argued (as Daniel Guyton did just above) that since the HS sedan flopped, a CT sedan would also be likely to. But, on the other hand, the HS did not have a 2.0T powerplant, and a semi-sports sedan that size without a hybrid drivetrain just might sell.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm guessing a better looking sexy/sporty-looking hatch is where Lexus IS heading with CT, expanding on a niche that is willing to pay the premium to upgrade versus dull-driving Prius. I don't see this needing sedan version or another HS-like flop, Lexus is probably thinking same.

Interesting the article mentions Benz GLC SUV. Maybe the CT will be tall enough to get classified as SUV ( kind of like a hybrid GLC or more like GLA, both of which are SUVs), that seems more likely than sedan scenario. Rendering hints of it (SUV, similar to GLA).

Last edited:
Reactions
The concept sketch above is more of a drastic change in styling compared to the previous models on the backside.
I do like the styling though, the defining line on the rear quarter is very nice and the X styling on the grill is very nice as well.

PTien

Fan
Reactions
If lexus wanted a GLC type competitor, they should just call the CT the CX, and keep the CT a hatchback with greater engine options. I say 2.0l turbo the 2.0l hybrid engine and for the f model (i know lexus said they weren't going to make an F version of the FWD models, But on can dream) use either a tuned version of the 2.0l turbo making around 300+ horsepower or just make a new 3.0l turbo that can be used throughout the line up
I don't think this would be a GLC competitor, it'd be more like a GLA competitor.
I think the new RX sits in between the GLC and GLE or the X5 and X6 and a crossover version of the CT (lets call it a CX) would be in a smaller/lower segment.

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
I'm inclined to think that we'll get sub-NX cross-over based on the Toyota 4wd hybrid that'll soon replace the Urban Cruiser and a CT hatchback as two separate vehicles,not one that does both.

PTien

Fan
Reactions
Let's face it the CT is a hatch and a hybrid.
1) hatchbacks don't sell in USA
2) Hybrids don't sell in Europe

The move to come out with a "crossover" CT, shouldn't be any surprise to anyone and I would be surprised if there was no gas version, at least for Europe.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
A crossover CT would be pretty close to the NX and I can't see Lexus having two similar products. And as much as I would like to see it, something like a CT 200t could start cannibalizing the IS so we're likely going to see the new CT pretty much like what we've got except lighter and more powerful.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah, I personally doubt a CT "crossover" is coming. I feel that would simply be too similar to the NX, and would cannibalize NX sales.