Lexus USA Announces 2016 IS Sedan with Three Engine Options

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-07-24-lexus-is-200t-usa-400x200.jpg

Lexus USA has announced the 2016 IS model, which will include three engine options for the first time.
View the original article post

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Very odd to not offer AWD on the IS200t, but have to bring in another 3.5L to offer AWD. There is a problem with the turbo and AWD serious enought o make them off an entire new engine instead of the AWD option.

Now they can say the IS200t has more power than the 328i (240HP)

Kind of surprised they didn't wait until next Spring, since that would be the 3year mark for the car. They seem to have some interest in the sales title for 2015, which they are close to. I don't think they'll get there this year, anyway.
BD

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
NONE of the IS200t's competitors has any problem offering a 2.0 turbo engine with AWD (without any foot well intrusion, BTW) and a 7-plus-speed transmission, so why can't Lexus? Time for a new engineering team, seriously.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
So now the AWD IS350 is getting 8 speed automatic? The IS350 needs power bump badly. The engine can easily produce another 15 - 20 horsepower so I don't know why Lexus does not do it.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Sooo, where is the IS-F?
That's a great question, the engine from the RC F should have been placed in the 3IS. Not sure what's going on at Lexus. The good thing is that USB 2.0 will be available in the US.
Yeah I don't understand why there has been no announcement for an ISF. I mean I'm just wondering here but is it that much different or harder to put a V8 into the IS and add quad exaughts? To keep up with competitors Lexus needs to keep the "cheaper" F brand to combat the S3/S4 cars of the world. Right now the cheapest four door sedan F is going to be like what 75-80,000? That takes a lot of buyers out of the market for those that want a quick fun car. Just some thoughts

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Sooo, where is the IS-F?
That's a great question, the engine from the RC F should have been placed in the 3IS. Not sure what's going on at Lexus. The good thing is that USB 2.0 will be available in the US.
The RCF engine can be put in all 3 cars as it is I don't mind. I wonder if lexus can do something unique for the IS by developing a high reving screaming v6 for next ISF no turbo and not the most powerful

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
No surprise with the announcement on the specs based on last month's annoucement in Canada. We also anticipated the US to have the 350 in RWD vs AWD-only in Canada.

RIP - Matador Red Mica, welcome Redline
And as rayaans mentioned, no US folks jumping for joy on the USB 2.0?

Finally, interesting to see how different the 2L Turbo engines look just based on the longitudinal engine layout and piping re-routing in the IS vs horizontal in the NX.

Lexus-NX-Specs.jpg
15-07-24-lexus-is-200t-usa-00019.jpg

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
Can anybody tell me what is the reason for underpowered 3.5L V6 option at the US market?

Thx in advance

Reactions
First things first, YESSS to Lexus bringing back Ultrasonic Blue to the US!
2nd: Yes to the Turbo base engine, although I would have liked to see the 2.5L V6 still be offered as a cheaper version and get the IS down to the low $30Ks and a-la BMW 320i, ATS 2.5.
3rd: I like the way the new engine cover looks in the engine compartment for the 2.0T and I'm glad it's paired to the 8 speed auto.

Now the main things I'm waiting for is to know how well it puts that power down (the Europe announcement listed the IS200T with the 8 speed auto as going 0-60 in 7 seconds which was a little disappointing in my opinion. I was expecting it to be at least in the mid 6 seconds range.

And I definitely want to know what the EPA fuel economy numbers look like on it.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
2nd: Yes to the Turbo base engine, although I would have liked to see the 2.5L V6 still be offered as a cheaper version and get the IS down to the low $30Ks and a-la BMW 320i, ATS 2.5.
3rd: I like the way the new engine cover looks in the engine compartment for the 2.0T and I'm glad it's paired to the 8 speed auto.

Now the main things I'm waiting for is to know how well it puts that power down (the Europe announcement listed the IS200T with the 8 speed auto as going 0-60 in 7 seconds which was a little disappointing in my opinion. I was expecting it to be at least in the mid 6 seconds range.

And I definitely want to know what the EPA fuel economy numbers look like on it.

I clocked my NX at 7 seconds, which is 400 lbs heavier, 6hp fewer, and with a slower 6-speed tranny. No way do I buy a 0-62 mph of 7 seconds on the IS. Don't worry, expect low 6s to 60 mph when experienced performance automotive journalists in the US get their hands on one.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Now I totally understand why they're offering the IS300 AWD, but the naming still remains inconsistent with the rest of the Lexus lineup.

Can anybody tell me what is the reason for underpowered 3.5L V6 option at the US market?

Thx in advance

It is because apparently, the 2.0T engine so far cannot be paired with an AWD system while in a longitudinal layout. Or, there is no room at this moment to pair the 2.0T and AWD inside the IS body. So alongside the RWD IS200t, we get this IS300 AWD, which appears to be a stopgap model variant, for those who want a lower-priced AWD IS variant. This stopgap will likely be in the lineup until they are able to pair the 2.0T engine with AWD (I would assume).

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
And so apparently my seventh and eighth Lexus cars in the past nine years will be my last.
I am glad for my own sake that I bought my 2015 ES350 and 2015 IS250 F Sport in Matador Red Mica.
You feel me Lexus?
'08, '10, '13, '14, '15 & '15: MRM
Only my '12 IS F Sport in Ultrasonic Blue Mica and '06 ES330 in Blue Shale were ever not MRM.
Why Lexus would add a bland copycat Mercedes / BMW / Infiniti Campbell Tomato Soup red to their palette is beyond me.
Props for a trio of engine options but I'll never drive a 4-cylinder anything.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions

0-60 in 7 sec doesn't make any sense since the 328i has almost exact hp/tq and its around low 6's unless Bmw under-rated it.

TripleL

Premium Member
Reactions
Great evolution to the lineup! Love the fact that both AWD versions are still V6 drivetrains. Go Lexus!