Lexus Europe Sales Up 29% in the First Half of 2015

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-04-14-lexus-nx-europe-sales-400x200.jpg

Lexus Europe reports 31,600 sales for the first six months of 2015, an increase of 29% compared to last year
View the original article post

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Awesome numbers! Lexus is making big gains in the stronghold markets of German luxury brands.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The NX and CT sales traction in Europe is notable. I hope we have some Europeans here at Lexus Enthusiasts that can tell us more about this unique auto market.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
lower maintenance alternative to clean diesel passenger cars.

Yes, I agree with the (generally) lower maintenance of hybrids (the main difference being the diesel urea-injection-solution refills every 10,000 miles or so). But, on the other hand, in general, diesels are less costly to produce (one engine instead of two or more), and the small 2.0 VW/Audi TDI diesels, as I understand it, don't need the periodic urea-injections like the larger BMW/Mercedes BlueTec diesels. However, BMW and some other manufacturers cover those refills in their free-maintenance programs.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, I agree with the (generally) lower maintenance of hybrids (the main difference being the diesel urea-injection-solution refills every 10,00 miles or so). But, on the other hand, in general, diesels are less costly to produce (one engine instead of two or more) and the small 2.0 VW/Audi TDI diesels as I understand it, don't need the periodic urea-injections like the larger BMW/Mercedes Bluetec diesels. Also, BMW and some other manufacturers cover those refills in their free-maintenance programs.

Yes. There are other maintenance costs including those related to DPF. Clean diesels meeting Euro6 and CA standards are also complex and expensive to build too. Old diesel assumptions for simpler dirty diesels are no longer applicable.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes. There are other maintenance costs including those related to DPF. Clean diesels meeting Euro6 and CA standards are also complex and expensive to build too. Old diesel assumptions for simpler dirty diesels are dated and not applicable.

I wasn't referring to older diesels...I agree they are not applicable in today's world. But part of the progress made in today's diesels (which actually start and run much like gas engines now) has also been because of the clean low-sulfur fuel, not just progress in the engine itself. Nationwide, per EPA mandate, we started getting low-sulfur diesel fuel here in most of the U.S. (at a higher price, of course) in 2005....I'm not sure about CA, where you guys may (?) have been getting that low-sulfur fuel earlier by state regulation.

In Europe, diesels and diesel-fuels used to be given tax-incentives, but, though I don't know all the details, some of those have apparently been ralaxed lately, increasing some of the prices.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I wasn't referring to older diesels...I agree they are not applicable in today's world. But part of the progress made in today's diesels (which actually start and run much like gas engines now) has also been because of the clean low-sulfur fuel, not just progress in the engine itself. Nationwide, per EPA mandate, we started getting low-sulfur diesel fuel here in most of the U.S. (at a higher price, of course) in 2005....I'm not sure about CA, where you guys may (?) have been getting that low-sulfur fuel earlier by state regulation.

Yes which is exactly why I brought up DPF and other significant maintenance costs and complexity of clean diesels, much more than just cost of urea exhaust treatment-related costs.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes which is exactly why I brought up DPF and other significant maintenance costs and complexity of clean diesels, more than just cost of urea exhaust treatment-related costs.

Have you owned a diesel? I know, in the past, choice was quite limited CA because CARB wouldn't certify some of them.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Have you owned a diesel? I know, in the past, some of them were hard to get in CA because CARB wouldn't certify some of them.

They are easy enough to buy in CA, including Benz, BMW, VW clean versions.

No I have not owned one. I have no plans to own one (Even if I can see appeal in truck/SUV configuration). How about you?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No I have not owned one. I have no plans to own one (Even if I can see appeal in truck/SUV configuration). How about you?

Might (?) consider one at next purchase or lease. I like the strong low-end diesel torque and relatively low redline for stop-and-go driving, which this D.C. area has a lot of. There are often alternate-fuel tax and HOV incentives for diesels (though I don't know why?......since they still burn fossil-fuel from petroleum like gasoline). And enough stations carry diesel fuel in this area that one does not have to run the tank dry just looking for a refill. The price of diesel fuel, though, has climbed recently....it is now higher than 93-octane premium in my area. There are some rumors that GM will soon put diesels into more smaller vehicles....including the next-generation of the Verano.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Might (?) consider one at next purchase or lease. I like the strong low-end diesel torque and relatively low redline for stop-and-go driving, which this D.C. area has a lot of. There are often alternate-fuel tax and HOV incentives for diesels (though I don't know why?......since they still burn fossil-fuel from petroleum like gasoline). And enough stations carry diesel fuel in this area that one does not have to run the tank dry just looking for a refill. The price of diesel fuel, though, has climbed recently....it is now higher than 93-octane premium in my area. There are some rumors that GM will soon put diesels into more smaller vehicles....including the next-generation of the Verano.

Yes, wait 'til you see bloated purchase price first. In CA HOV lane access w/sticker for next 5 years is only for electric, CNG, and plug-in hybrids (last one will probably expire first), certainly no diesels.

How's Cruz diesel selling so far? Is it reliable (many clean diesels are not cheap to maintain including TDI)?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
How's Cruz diesel selling so far? Is it reliable (many clean diesels are not cheap to maintain including TDI)?

I don't have hard numbers for local Cruz diesel sales, but this area is such a huge new-car market that virtually everything sells to some extent (even the Acura ZDX) :D;). Seems to be reliable by auto-diesel standards, though you probably won't get the kind of longevity you would with a big semi-rig diesel....with new-cylinder replacements/rebuilds, they have been known to go as far as million miles.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I don't have hard numbers for local Cruz diesel sales, but this area is such a huge new-car market that virtually everything sells to some extent (even the Acura ZDX) :D;). Seems to be reliable by auto-diesel standards, though you probably won't get the kind of longevity you would with a big semi-rig diesel....with new-cylinder replacements/rebuilds, they have been known to go as far as million miles.

Before you sink a lot of money into a GM diesel, that would be the one to study data on. Comparing to hig rig is not applicable, comparing maintenance and reliability to your base gasoline Buick 4 banger would be relavent.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Before you sink a lot of money into a GM diesel, that would be the one to study data on. Comparing to hig rig is not applicable, comparing maintenance and reliability to your base gasoline Buick 4 banger would be relavent.

There are lots of possibilities for my next set of wheels. I'm not one to buy something on the spur of the moment. I do a lot of research....a vehicle has to earn my sale. Long gone are the days that I buy something just because of a nameplate...I learned that lesson 40 years ago. ;)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
There are lots of possibilities for my next set of wheels. I'm not one to buy something on the spur of the moment. I do a lot of research....a vehicle has to earn my sale. Long gone are the days that I buy something just because of a nameplate...I learned that lesson 40 years ago. ;)

Yes, I'm like that too, not one for brand loyalty.

Sorry for sidetracking this important thread on Lexus sales growth in Europe.

I'm looking forward to hearing from members that know European market well and where Lexus fits in. (Of course diesel passenger cars come up in conversation based on some regulatory changes in Europe related to diesels)...

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, I'm like that too, not one for brand loyalty.

Sorry for sidetracking this important thread on Lexus sales growth in Europe.

I'm looking forward to hearing from customers that know European market well and where Lexus fits in. (Of course diesel passenger cars come up in conversation based on some regulatory changes in Europe related to diesels)...

I agree, back on topic. Where, then, would you see Lexus' biggest potential growth in Europe....more small high-mileage cars like the CT, or more AMG / BMW-M-rivals with an expansion of the F-series?

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree, back on topic. Where, then, would you see Lexus' biggest potential growth in Europe....more small high-mileage cars like the CT, or more AMG / BMW-M-rivals with an expansion of the F-series?

I think the sales chart shows that growth trend already with NX and CT top of charts, but I'll let Euro experts chime in...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Growth would have been much higher if Russia did not collapse... Russia is best market for Lexus.

Next growth would be Russia getting back to its feet, launching 2.0t there in all vehicles, and then new RX of course as well as upcoming CT200h.

Most of actual growth in Luxury vehicles in Europe is around $30k volume... so CT based SUV would do well too.