Lexus Global Design Manager: An Interview with Takeshi Tanabe Part One

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-06-02-takeshi-tanabe-interview-lexus-400x200.jpg

Last month, I was lucky enough to talk with Takeshi Tanabe, the Global Design manager for both Toyota and Lexus, in a wide-ranging interview on a number of topics.
View the original article post

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
I can see the progression when he took over. Definitely evident in the NX & RX's.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow, nice interview that gives insight into Lexus design from perspective of the person responsible. I'm looking forward to more.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Awesome part 2, thanks krew! Very interesting answer regarding future models. That means the next-gen LS interior will definitely look new and differentiated, while still maintaining the LS character.

Reactions
Awesome part 2, thanks krew! Very interesting answer regarding future models. That means the next-gen LS interior will definitely look new and differentiated, while still maintaining the LS character.
Hopefully the next gen LS will look elegant when its on the luxury version, and sporty when on the F/F-Sport varient

mikeavelli

Reactions
Amazing interview and background information. Only from the Lexus Enthusiast!!!!

Reactions
"As you are well aware, downsizing is a worldwide trend. Urban traffic, fuel consumption, emissions control make it all difficult to justify big cars. "

I so wish this was true yet almost every manufacturer for every car makes them BIGGER! The new RX is growing by a significant amount.

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
"As you are well aware, downsizing is a worldwide trend. Urban traffic, fuel consumption, emissions control make it all difficult to justify big cars. "

I so wish this was true yet almost every manufacturer for every car makes them BIGGER! The new RX is growing by a significant amount.
Thats because there's an NX which is pretty much RX size now

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions

Exactly. The NX is especially in terms of interior space very close to the outgoing RX. The new one therefore has to be large or it would be redundant.

Reactions

Exactly. The NX is especially in terms of interior space very close to the outgoing RX. The new one therefore has to be large or it would be redundant.
But that means unless you want a bigger car you have to tend to drop a model level, admittedly the NX is hardly a major drop but the RX is still a step above in refinement, performance etc.

It will be like in another generation the IS being the same size as the old GS.

Just don't understand why pretty much all manufacturers (this isn't Lexus specific) keep on making every generation bigger - roads, car park spaces, garages etc. do not get made larger every few years so each generation struggles more and more with space (Obviously more in some countries than others)

RAL

Reactions
Just coming back from holiday, I read all three parts of this interview at once. Great interview Krew!

My gratitude to Tanabe-san for driving Lexus to the NX! ... without a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Just returned from an extended driving trip which ranged from a scenic drive through the Smokey Mountains around Gatlinburg ... to a 12 hour drive home from Myrtle Beach. The drive through those wonderful hilly curvy roads was absolute fun in the NX! And though we intended to stop somewhere overnight when we got tired, the NX was so comfortable ... we just kept driving 12 hours ... all the way home from the beach.

From the moment I saw our NX in Lexus of Louisville's showroom upon delivery, I really liked it ... even more than I'd hoped. But after this road trip, I have to say I absolutely love the NX. It is an amazing vehicle! Forget flying ... from now on, if at all possible ... we'll drive the NX :)

Again, thank you Tanabe-san and Lexus!

DSC02193.jpg

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
But that means unless you want a bigger car you have to tend to drop a model level, admittedly the NX is hardly a major drop but the RX is still a step above in refinement, performance etc.

It will be like in another generation the IS being the same size as the old GS.

Just don't understand why pretty much all manufacturers (this isn't Lexus specific) keep on making every generation bigger - roads, car park spaces, garages etc. do not get made larger every few years so each generation struggles more and more with space (Obviously more in some countries than others)

Well strictly on the point of Lexus and Toyota, if you historically look at all of their major models, they haven't changed a great deal size-wise. Some small size increases have occurred yes, but not dramatic size increases. There are a variety of very complex factors and reasons that go into why a model from generation to generation may slightly increase in size. It could be factors such as owners asking for slight size increases in certain areas, it could be slight body increases due to meeting new or changing safety and crash regulations, it could be required size increases for added technology or features, it could be due to the aim of a specific model changing slightly, and the list goes on and on.

You brought up a very major point; depending on where you live, things can be different. Roads, parking spaces, and garages often differ in size and dimensions depending on what country you live in. Not every model from every automaker is sold in every country. Often there are special regional models an automaker sells only in certain countries. In other cases, with major models like the Corolla, there are slight body variances and body size variants between different Corollas sold in different regions.

Even with Lexus, regional differences can exist. For example the European NX gets a very slightly different front end than North American NX models.

So say if we're talking about a 1IS or 1RX... I'm quite certain that any parking space or garage that those fit in comfortably, you can also fit a 3IS or a 4RX. The key word here being fit comfortably. If you were able to squeeze a 1IS or say 1RX into a parking spot or garage, but it was extremely tight, then I would say those spots were too small for the vehicle to begin with.

mikeavelli

Reactions
One thing I do remember when I was with Lexus at Intersect was how much they reiterated how the company was now being driven by an auto enthusiast (Akio Toyoda) and a passionate designer. Thanks again Krew!