Lexus LF-LC Coupe to Have Twin-Turbo 600+ Horsepower V8 Engine?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-06-30-lexus-lf-lc-sc-600-hp-400x200.jpg

Automobile Magazine has an article on potential powertrains for the upcoming Lexus production model based on the LF-LC concept.
View the original article post

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
Deliriously excited as I am about any all aspects of this car,the thing I'm most curious to learn more about is the hybrid drive line. Is it going to be a cvt-type,or something new that allows for genuine gear changes?

D

DDas

I posted a thread about the LF-LC under the Lexus SC category. I was wondering if it will be called SC or LC and then I gave my opinion of what the car should be named. Check it out!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
People thought "RC" would always remind everyone of "Remote Control" and I never heard much of that after the fact. Once this model has a face and some specs and identity, we'll all be saying "LC" just the same as LX or LS :)

PTien

Fan
Reactions
People thought "RC" would always remind everyone of "Remote Control" and I never heard much of that after the fact. Once this model has a face and some specs and identity, we'll all be saying "LC" just the same as LX or LS :)
I agree....

LC just follows the normal Lexus naming convention. L = Luxury C = Coupe
They want this car to line up with the LS and be that Luxury Halo vehicle and that's how they're naming it. Simple.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm willing to bet that this car will be a LC and not a SC. No business owner, especially a Japanese one, would bring back the SC. Why?

Resurrecting the SC may do more harm than good. First of all, it was smaller than an RC so why would Lexus build a bigger coupe and call it an SC? Second, this would just confuse buyers and show mismanagement within Lexus since Lexus had stated that they have retired the car. The journalists will eat Akio alive.

The LC has to be Lexus's flagship coupe and it must be a thing of beauty. It must have all the advancements, all the luxuries and most importantly all the horsepower. Due to the size and weight of the vehicle, the 5 liter V8 will be standard. I would love to see the first pictures of the car in some mixture of red, white and black.

LC 500 - 5L V8 producing 470hp
LC 500h - 4.6L Hybrid Engine
LC F - twin turbo or supercharge the 5L V8 and produce at least 600hp. This thing will be mean. I think this will actually have a TMG badge on it.

This kinda makes me think ... maybe Lexus will start producing supercharged cars ... following the success of the LX Supercharged. So maybe a supercharged LC rather than the twin turbos?

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
With the current trend, "Twin Turbo" seems more appealing than supercharged. Altho if they use the SC name, a S/C SC sounds interesting :)

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Looks like that GHMB Lexus 630HP Turbo V8 project from 2012 will not go to waste after all. If the next SC will get that turbo V8, it will arrive in the Lexus LS-F in a couple of years as well.
BD

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm willing to bet that this car will be a LC and not a SC. No business owner, especially a Japanese one, would bring back the SC. Why?

Resurrecting the SC may do more harm than good. First of all, it was smaller than an RC so why would Lexus build a bigger coupe and call it an SC? Second, this would just confuse buyers and show mismanagement within Lexus since Lexus had stated that they have retired the car. The journalists will eat Akio alive.

The LC has to be Lexus's flagship coupe and it must be a thing of beauty. It must have all the advancements, all the luxuries and most importantly all the horsepower. Due to the size and weight of the vehicle, the 5 liter V8 will be standard. I would love to see the first pictures of the car in some mixture of red, white and black.

LC F - twin turbo or supercharge the 5L V8 and produce at least 600hp. This thing will be mean. I think this will actually have a TMG badge on it.

This kinda makes me think ... maybe Lexus will start producing supercharged cars ... following the success of the LX Supercharged. So maybe a supercharged LC rather than the twin turbos?

I don't quite understand this logic?

Many consumers will not care that a vehicle is called "SC" or "LC" - they care about the features, the design and whether or not it fits into their budget. SC has a legacy and has been one of the most iconic models in the Lexus lineup. During 2010 when the SC was retired, the global economy was still fragile, a lot of resources were going into the LFA and then the tsunami hit in 2011.

Lexus also prides themselves on never having discontinued a model line, and it would seem odd to discontinue one of their most iconic models with no follow up whatsoever - effectively making it the first product line to fully be axed.

SC was smaller than the RC because it was based on the 2nd gen GS platform - if you think about a vehicle based on the current GS, it would be larger than the RC. In comparison to the RC, the current GS is 6" longer and has a 5" longer wheelbase. If LC is indeed going be based on an LS platform as some rumors have stated (larger than GS), does that open a spot for a midsize coupe (SC)? Seems like a lot of coupes, but if the LC ends up being priced $100 - $125k, there is a hole in the lineup for something $60-95k.

The idea that introducing a new SC vs a new "LC" model would confuse customers seems counter intuitive to me. People know of "SC" but have never heard of "LC."

I doubt that the standard engine will be the same 467hp we see in the RC F, and assume it might be tuned differently for MPG or less noise, since the LC 500 will not be an F model.

Regarding turbos or superchargers, the supercharged LX is not manufactured by Lexus but is a kit produced by the distributor who services the Middle East. Considering this, Lexus does not have any particular expertise or experience with supercharging that would be transferred to future engines. Superchargers also tend to eat gas moreso than turbos - counter productive considering ever more stringent CAFE standards.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

sorry :)... but LC500 would not have engine from RC-F... it will have normal V8 engine or even turbo V6, which is more likely since that will be base LS engine it seems. Also, there is no way it will have TMG badge, nor that will be in any way associated with TMG including engine development.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Guys, this is my opinion. I'm entitled to one. :)

Saying my assumption is false based on your own assumption is funny.
sorry :)... but LC500 would not have engine from RC-F... it will have normal V8 engine or even turbo V6, which is more likely since that will be base LS engine it seems. Also, there is no way it will have TMG badge, nor that will be in any way associated with TMG including engine development.

Sorry, when I went back and looked at it, I realized that I made a mistake. If they were to stick to the LS line up ...

LC 460 and 460 F Sport
LC 600h, don't think there will be an F Sport
LC F

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I would buy a SC in a heartbeat, I think its a great name...LC too..... it is of my opinion that Lexus should have
RC
SC
LC

And add a couple of 4 door coupes while we are at it...

I agree with this whole heartedly. I think it might take a generation of RC and even LC to cycle through before any type of "hole" in the $65-90k price bracket opens up, but it could happen. I think it will all depend on how the LC is priced. If it's ~from $90k, then I think Lexus needs to bring back the SC, base it on the GS platform and price it between RC and LC. If LC ends up being much cheaper than $90k base, might not make sense to bring back the SC.

4 door coupes please :D