Lexus RC F Finishes Third in Pikes Peak Hill Climb Time Attack

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-06-29-lexus-rc-f-pikes-peak-400x200.jpg

Justin Bell and the Lexus RC F GT concept finished third in the Time Attack 1 class at this weekend’s Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.
View the original article post

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Disappointing result I feel when trying to establish a Brand in ths way. What car won? - no mention of the winner?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Since the Pike's Peak road was paved the entire distance to the top a few years ago (at EPA insistence), it has increased average speeds on the run and lowered times. But some also say (not necessarily my opinion, as I don't really have a view on it) that it has increased some risks as well by making it much harder to drift.

nabbun

Premium Member
Reactions
Since the Pike's Peak road was paved the entire distance to the top a few years ago (at EPA insistence), it has increased average speeds on the run and lowered times. But some also say (not necessarily my opinion, as I don't really have a view on it) that it has increased some risks as well by making it much harder to drift.

Fastest way around asphalt turns isn't by drifting.

The rain they say it's become more dangerous in a way is because if the hat that since the course is now completely paved, they carry greater speeds. Greater speeds = a more disastrous outcome if one were to make a mistake. Also, since the course is completely paved, the cars can be setup for grip instead of a compromise of asphalt and dirt. Hence the even more gain in speed and time reduction.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Fastest way around asphalt turns isn't by drifting.

Yes, that's true....which was more or less what I was getting at (sorry if my last post was unclear). Drifting on dry pavement, of course, also does a number on one's rear tires.

Congratulations to Lexus, BTW. It's nice that one of their products won this year. :) Looking back in time (though I don't want to get too far off-topic), one of the most surprising first-place finishes at Pikes' Peak was in 1992 with a Hyundai Scoupe, a twin to the Mitsubishi Precis coupe, that, IMO, as a street car, was a POS (this was long before Hyundai started producing good products). But one can't dismiss the fact that, that year, it was a POS Scoupe that actually went home with the trophy. ;)

That climb, BTW, gravel or paved, IMO, is one of the most challenging events in motorsports. Many sharp and hairpin curves don't have a guard rail or any other device to catch a wayward vehicle, and it can be a LONG way down. I have a lot of respect for the drivers who even attempt that course under those conditions. We have some local hill-climbs here in the East, in the Appalachian Mountains, but nothing like that.

Last edited: