Two Mystery Lexus IS F SPORTs Spotted in California

mikeavelli

Reactions
When I arrived at Lexus HQ earlier today the first thing I noticed was the bright red of this IS. Obviously not the matador red mica we get now.

IMG_8527.JPG

Then I noticed the badge being covered! Obviously an IS 200t or even 300 under testing.

IMG_8528.JPG

Then I noticed the badge being covered! Obviously an IS 200t or even 300 under testing.

Currently posting from the phone but when Krew lands (he is traveling also) a front page write-up with more info to come.

Last edited:

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
The colour is indeed a new one for model year 2016. For the engine, I'm afraid you will have to wait for an official press release,, sorry ;)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Sorry everyone been slammed all weekend and just landed in Miami.. The color is amazing I really like it. It does seem like the red on the CT. Interior was black.

There was a second one in another lot when I picked up a silver atomic IS. This is when I noticed the brakes seems to be the same size as the IS 350. Note that the current IS 250 does with much smaller 2 post brakes vs the 4 pot ones that the IS 350/GS 350 non-F-Sport shares.

Krew is going to have this live soon!
goot catch mike, thanks for the pics.. red looks good.

Sure, anytime!

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Excellent discovery LexFather! Are you sure they didn't do that on purpose because of who they knew to expect? Sometimes leaving out nondescript prototypes out in the open for clever onlookers, is meant to drum up discussion, which will not necessarily affect sales of the current IS250 (most buyers are not enthusiasts, unlike IS350). I really hope there will be improvements to the 2GR-FSE, as a replacement may arrive in the 2017 LS (3.0 TT).

mikeavelli

Reactions
Excellent discovery LexFather! Are you sure they didn't do that on purpose because of who they knew to expect? Sometimes leaving out nondescript prototypes out in the open for clever onlookers, is meant to drum up discussion, which will not necessarily affect sales of the current IS250 (most buyers are not enthusiasts, unlike IS350). I really hope there will be improvements to the 2GR-FSE, as a replacement may arrive in the 2017 LS (3.0 TT).

That is a flattering thought but I don't think I'm that special lol. :) Agreed that any leak won't hurt IS sales and Lexus surely is ramping down the 250 and ramping up the 200t production for a fall debut.

Also in the same lot a few feet over were this Matador Red LS and Infrared RC F. Easy to tell the color differences!
18820714871_4ef835fe6d_b.jpg

Compared to Redline

img_8528-jpg.584

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
That red looks great. I'm interested to see if this becomes "IS 200t" or "IS 300."

Great catch, Mike!

Reactions: CIF

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
The missing paint on the lower front of the RCF made me cringe a bit. I'm really liking the IS in that new color and very interested to see what badge they're covering up!

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Not Redline like on the CT?
That is a flattering thought but I don't think I'm that special lol. :) Agreed that any leak won't hurt IS sales and Lexus surely is ramping down the 250 and ramping up the 200t production for a fall debut.

Also in the same lot a few feet over were this Matador Red LS and Infrared RC F. Easy to tell the color differences!
18820714871_4ef835fe6d_b.jpg

Compared to Redline

img_8528-jpg.584

Great pics Mike! No peek under that tape? :D

Yeah, my first reaction is a new red is coming for 2016 since it's nowhere near MRM, nor Infrared. Upon closer inspection, I agree 99% certain it's Redline. Here's a pic from Ryan on the Redline CT:

this-is-the-2014-lexus-ct-200h-in-new-redline-finish-photo-gallery_1.jpg

15-06-15-lexus-is-mystery-usa-00005.jpeg

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I was hoping for the ISF...but still the 2.5L needs to be updated!

Travis

Fan
Reactions
Am I the only one who would have walked straight up to that IS and taken the tape off? lol

Most likely going to be the new IS300
I was thinking the samething.. End all this speculation just peel the damn thing off really quick lol

PTien

Fan
Reactions
Totally agree!
There doesn't seem to be much product differences on theses cars from the current one except for the exterior paint (Redline for sure) and the covered badge.
The one with black tape seems to have a longer badge which I would assume is the AWD part and the one with the beige tape seems to be a RWD.

The turbo 4 cylinder is definitely needed in the IS model range as all its competitors are already there.
I'd be interested to see what the 300 engine is, any thoughts on this???