New Details on the Production Lexus LF-LC

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-06-09-lexus-lf-lc-production-tnga-400x200.jpg

The Chunichi Shimbun newspaper in Japan has some interesting insight into the production version of the Lexus LF-LC .
View the original article post

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
I was watching the videos for this car on lexus.com the other day. This car will be epic, in every possible sense. Can't wait!!!

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
When 10 yrs ago, people considered Lexus a boring brand. With the Spindle grill, more focus on making cars fun to drive, and now a focus on weight savings, I love the direction the new Lexus is going!

mikeavelli

Reactions
what do they mean by "15-25% more than the current car,"?

I am under the assumption that means the next generation car(s) will be 15-25% more efficient than the vehicles now. Possibly in this case they are referencing the LS but I'm not sure.

Geez I just wrote two sentences just adding to speculation :D

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
which is the current car?
they are referring to TNGA which is in new Prius and said to be 15-25% more efficient overall. Platform for RWD Lexus will be called differently. If Crown will be sharing LS platform, that means that quite likely all RWD Lexus models will be on same basic platform... that means that these cars will have to be significantly lighter than before.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
That would be a huge improvement! A lot of other manufacturers are playing with aluminium since a long time. But CFRP is much more expensive. Curious to find out at what point in mass production they can get using the CFRP's and if this can be applied to smaller (read: less expensive) models like CT and IS... Apparently BMW will use it in the upcoming new 7 series and is already using it in the i8 if I'm not mistaken.
Any of you know of any other models using CFRP in normal series production?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

I am under the assumption that means the next generation car(s) will be 15-25% more efficient than the vehicles now. Possibly in this case they are referencing the LS but I'm not sure.

Geez I just wrote two sentences just adding to speculation :D

It could be a couple things -- one is like @LexFather says, they may be referring to the LS. However, this might be a reference to the fact that the TNGA is supposed to deliver a major fuel effiency boost. Might not be specific to the LF-LC or LS at all.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
they are referring to TNGA which is in new Prius and said to be 15-25% more efficient overall. Platform for RWD Lexus will be called differently. If Crown will be sharing LS platform, that means that quite likely all RWD Lexus models will be on same basic platform... that means that these cars will have to be significantly lighter than before.

Oops, should have read the whole thread before responding. I agree with @spwolf.

Reactions: CIF

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Why hasn't one seen spy shots of the LC, when it has been suggested at times this will arrive before the next LS? At least in mule form (slapped together RC maybe)? People from Japan have reported that test mules were running around in 2014, but as usual, no photos in the least. There is a reason why one hears more about developments on the European front, than the Asian front. I don't see what they have to honestly hide. Prototypes have to have be out there somewhere of course, even for the LS as well (no renders for that even).

It is very much expected that the LS and Crown will share a RWD platform, but I thought they already did somewhat (N platform). A proposed Century redesign in 2017-18 might also share the same platform, but maybe lose its V12. Your theory makes sense, as using the same name TNGA would tie RWD and FWD too closely together. MB still utilizes MFA and MRA separately, so I should've taken note of that.

Last edited: