Examining the Toyota New Global Architecture

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-05-26-lexus-toyota-new-global-architecture-400x200.jpg

While not Lexus-specific, this Motor Trend article on the Toyota New Global Architecture is definitely worth a read.
View the original article post

Reactions: CIF

RDS

Fan
Reactions
If you know Toyota long enough , you should know Toyota is basically "sharing platform & parts" amongs all their vehicles for many decades , there's advantage & disadvantage in this ... but longterm usage wise , it is more of advantage . For example my family have a Toyota Nadia (JDM-only) , you might think this one-generation-only car would be lack of parts , but besides the exterior stuff , most of the parts are easily shared with other Toyota (for example the door handle is actually same as JDM-only Ipsum & Gaia) .

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The RX seems to be on a revised verson of the "K" platform, which debuted in late 2000 on the Highlander. It gratingly unnerving, as chronologically it means nothing is really "based on the Camry". When Toyota began development of the K platform 20 years ago, the unrelated 1997 Camry was already on its way (April 1994 approval) and development not even in progress on the 2002 model. The Highlander got it first. Toyota products merely share a platform, they are not directly based on each other.

Many biased individuals (if not trolls) have chosen to deliberately ignorant and ascribe terms like "reskinned Corolla/Camry" to other models, when like the RAV-4/NX, they merely share a few components.

The RX will likely not get a redesign until 2021 at earliest, so it means the K platform would have lasted 21 years by then. The next Camry (already designed by now, takes 30 months from design selection), will be the first midsize Toyota on this TNGA platform I figure and the first Camry with a new platform since 2001. The RWD application is what will debut on the LS, as the L10 GS and XE30 IS are on the New N, while the 4LS skipped it and kept the old one.

MB has 4 modular architectures- MSA, MFA, MRA, and MHA. BMW has 35up (RWD), UKL, and Toyota-related RWD sports car platforms. Hopefully TNGA takes a similar approach, with the LS, LC, GS, and TX. The next GS is also underway, likely due for a final design sign-off next year. For once, the GS will not be the Lexus trendsetter hopefully.

Reactions: RAL

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
What a GREAT article :)!!

I absolutely love insightful articles like this. Amazing to hear that Toyota is absolutely going back to basics, and going back towards more human assembly and less robotic assembly.

Overall I can't wait to see the improvements that the next-gen platform brings, as well as more details on the whole program and improvements at the plant level.

This is exactly the sort of stuff that makes me proud to be a Toyota and Lexus fan.

The RX seems to be on a revised verson of the "K" platform, which debuted in late 2000 on the Highlander. It gratingly unnerving, as chronologically it means nothing is really "based on the Camry". When Toyota began development of the K platform 20 years ago, the unrelated 1997 Camry was already on its way (April 1994 approval) and development not even in progress on the 2002 model. The Highlander got it first. Toyota products merely share a platform, they are not directly based on each other.

Many biased individuals (if not trolls) have chosen to deliberately ignorant and ascribe terms like "reskinned Corolla/Camry" to other models, when like the RAV-4/NX, they merely share a few components.

The RX will likely not get a redesign until 2021 at earliest, so it means the K platform would have lasted 21 years by then. The next Camry (already designed by now, takes 30 months from design selection), will be the first midsize Toyota on this TNGA platform I figure and the first Camry with a new platform since 2001. The RWD application is what will debut on the LS, as the L10 GS and XE30 IS are on the New N, while the 4LS skipped it and kept the old one.

MB has 4 modular architectures- MSA, MFA, MRA, and MHA. BMW has 35up (RWD), UKL, and Toyota-related RWD sports car platforms. Hopefully TNGA takes a similar approach, with the LS, LC, GS, and TX. The next GS is also underway, likely due for a final design sign-off next year. For once, the GS will not be the Lexus trendsetter hopefully.

Since you've said in other posts that you do some work related to Jaguar and Audi, I'm not sure how well-informed you are with Toyota development details and platform details. With that said, it's known as a fact (going by Toyota's own press releases), that the K-series platform is moderately modular and customizable, and also has seen significant changes over the years. Just as one example, both the current generation RX and Highlander have completely different rear ends than most other K-platform models. They use a double wishbone rear suspension, where as most K-platform models don't.

Yes you are correct that K-series has lasted this long, and will be replaced by the TNGA platform. However that doesn't mean there haven't been significant changes over the K-platform's history.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
What a GREAT article :)!!

I absolutely love insightful articles like this. Amazing to hear that Toyota is absolutely going back to basics, and going back towards more human assembly and less robotic assembly.

Overall I can't wait to see the improvements that the next-gen platform brings, as well as more details on the whole program and improvements at the plant level.

This is exactly the sort of stuff that makes me proud to be a Toyota and Lexus fan.

Since you've said in other posts that you do some work related to Jaguar and Audi, I'm not sure how well-informed you are with Toyota development details and platform details. With that said, it's known as a fact (going by Toyota's own press releases), that the K-series platform is moderately modular and customizable, and also has seen significant changes over the years. Just as one example, both the current generation RX and Highlander have completely different rear ends than most other K-platform models. They use a double wishbone rear suspension, where as most K-platform models don't.

Yes you are correct that K-series has lasted this long, and will be replaced by the TNGA platform. However that doesn't mean there haven't been significant changes over the K-platform's history.

I educate myself on all vehicles, especially those that are in my family. My sister has owned 4 RXs since 2007 and I've been responsible for maintaining one of them. I do not work for Audi nor have I ever worked for VAG (Volkswagen). My point is that, it's unnerving how Toyota was ahead of the game back in 1995-96 with this idea, but many act as if Toyota just shoved a Camry bits into the RX. The Camry never debuted the K platform, therefore it is separate from the RX.

Biased journalists simplify the relationship between K platform models, resulting in unfavourable press or "fancy Toyota" suggestions. I am a very fair and impartial person, so it is not about chiding Toyota. The New MC platform (debuted in late 2005) is a revised version of the original MC platform that debuted on the Prius in 1997, so TNGA is its successor of course. I don't recall the K platform benefiting from a parallel level of changes to it, like the RWD "N" to "New N" and MC to "New MC". All will be replaced within the next 6 years.

Even so, despite me not working for Toyota, there are MANY things I am aware of that some personnel at Toyota USA and Toyota UK fail to know about. I have friends that do work for Toyota, not to mention I had a Toyota internship in university.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I educate myself on all vehicles, especially those that are in my family. I do not work for Audi nor have I ever worked for VAG (Volkswagen). My point is that, it's unnerving how Toyota was ahead of the game back in 1995-96 with this idea, but many act as if Toyota just shoved a Camry platform under the RX. The Camry never debuted the K platform, therefore. Even so, despite me not working for Toyota, there are MANY things I am aware of that some personnel at Toyota USA and Toyota UK fail to know about. I have friends that do work for Toyota, not to mention I had a Toyota internship in university.

Journalists simplify the relationship between K platform models, resulting in unfavourable press. I am a very fair and impartial person, so it is not about chiding Toyota. The New MC platform (debuted in late 2005) is a revised version of the original MC platform that debuted on the Prius in 1997, so TNGA is its successor of course. I don't recall the K platform benefiting from a parallel level of changes to it, like the RWD "N" is now the "New N" and will be replaced soon as well.

Fair enough, I understand. :)

Some good points. I 100% agree with you on the press, and the unfair labeling of the "Camry platform".