What is Lexus Planning for the Next-Generation LS?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-05-14-lexus-project-ls-f-sport-400x200.jpg

One of the most interesting exchanges in our podcast interview with Lexus International executive vice-president Mark Templin was a discussion on the definition of a Lexus halo car.
View the original article post

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm optimistic the Mirai's Hydrogen fuel cell tech will make it on a grander scale in the next top-end LS.

hmmm... guesses on the new moniker... LS 600FC :D

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Whatever they are planning, it better be so awesome and advanced that a peasant like me couldn't even imagine. :D

I hope it gives the new S class a run for its money.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
Is this related to my rant? Haha Awesome! If not, awesome either way!

Mercedes-Benz is doing something that I really want, and I am not being sarcastic. I do NOT want Lexus to lose touch with the luxury side! Stop making everything about sport! If it were up to me, I would price the Maybach S600 the same as the S65 AMG. Why should purchasing the luxury version be considered a compromise?! Unless Lexus can figure out how to make a car entirely F but also the most comfortable car in the world (not just in comparison with sports vehicles), then Lexus should not make the LS F and tell those who want comfortable cars to go for the "lesser" variant. Of course, the purely luxury version should have good reason to be priced the same as the F. But it would be nice to have those things in the F... Now, I'm ranting again.

By the way, I always considered the LS and LX the halo cars along with the LFA. Also, there are many things that the LX just does better than the LS. Simply being a fully-capable vehicle makes the LX even more of a halo. However, Lexus would then disappoint us by sharing large chunks of body panels with the Land Cruiser, not offering a full-leather interior, and neglecting the most special LS feature: electronically powered seat belt height adjustment.

Reactions: RAL

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
I am relly interested what powertrain will be implemented into the LS F if it will be produced. The version of LS F as a hybrid version could be reasonable since they are the most advanced in this area.

PTien

Fan
Reactions
I am relly interested what powertrain will be implemented into the LS F if it will be produced. The version of LS F as a hybrid version could be reasonable since they are the most advanced in this area.
Though I agree that a Hybrid version of the LS is a very reasonable assumption for the LS or any Lexus flagship model, I don't agree with you that Lexus us the most advanced in Hybrid technology.

Though Lexus (Toyota) did really bring the first successful mass production hybrid to market and were innovators in the technology, they haven't done much with the technology since it was first released. Sure they have refined the technology but I would argue that they have not advanced the technology.

There hasn't even been any advancement in battery technology while companies that laughed at hybrid have now much more advanced systems (ie BMW i series vehicles).

Anyway this is off topic......

The LS, as amazing of a vehicle as it is, is old and uncompetitive vs the Mercedes S Class. Its due for a complete redesign and I think/hope, Lexus will do something amazing with it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Can't wait for this. Aside from the LFA, I can't recall a Lexus launch that had as much buzz around it as the next LS.

Here's to hoping Lexus has big, big things planned!

Reactions
I love Lexus, I really do. The three biggest cars for them have been the LS, RX and LFA. But we're here to talk about the LS, and the first one and the fourth generation were the most important, the first gen obviously launched Lexus, it was their first vehicle, but the fourth gen was a huge swing for them. A long wheel base variant, world's first v8 hybrid powertrain, shiatsu massage, power everything, a truly pure Japanese automobile. Incredibly comfortable, great performance, without sacrificing reliability. But Lexus has sort of fallen behind the others. Like I said, I love Lexus, but comparing the LS out now to the S550 from Benz, would be like comparing the first gen iPhone to the iPhone 6. It can't even compete. Lexus needs to do something with the LS, and I mean BIG. forget S600 Maybach, they need to go for and beyond the Rolls Royce Phantom. Thats my two cents. I definitely think Lexus can do this. No, I know they can do this. By the way... FORGET THE F!

Reactions: RAL
Reactions
Is this related to my rant? Haha Awesome! If not, awesome either way!

Mercedes-Benz is doing something that I really want, and I am not being sarcastic. I do NOT want Lexus to lose touch with the luxury side! Stop making everything about sport! If it were up to me, I would price the Maybach S600 the same as the S65 AMG. Why should purchasing the luxury version be considered a compromise?! Unless Lexus can figure out how to make a car entirely F but also the most comfortable car in the world (not just in comparison with sports vehicles), then Lexus should not make the LS F and tell those who want comfortable cars to go for the "lesser" variant. Of course, the purely luxury version should have good reason to be priced the same as the F. But it would be nice to have those things in the F... Now, I'm ranting again.

By the way, I always considered the LS and LX the halo cars along with the LFA. Also, there are many things that the LX just does better than the LS. Simply being a fully-capable vehicle makes the LX even more of a halo. However, Lexus would then disappoint us by sharing large chunks of body panels with the Land Cruiser, not offering a full-leather interior, and neglecting the most special LS feature: electronically powered seat belt height adjustment.
I agree with you whole heartedly GuoxJason. The push for "sport" seems to be causing the design to stray away from what made Lexus what it is ....Classic Luxury! It was my understanding that Toyota was going to push Scion as more of a sports brand, which to me makes the most sense. I'm a Lexus Loyalist but the direction to making everything sport is unsettling to me. A sport edition of a car is fine but we don't see Rolls Royce straying away from its roots as the ultimate in luxury.

Like Robbie Abruzzese said comparing the current LS to the current S550 is like comparing the iPhone to the iPhone 6. The LS should provide all the technology and luxury the brand has to offer, as a halo car. Unless there is a plan to produce a car above the LS to compete with the Maybach S600, the goals for the LS should be aimed at Luxury not just sport. I hope what's produced for the next generation LS is a timeless luxury sedan with a possible F edition, and not something that resembles the RX update.

lexlthr

Founding Member
Reactions
A LS coupe is defiantly needed. I would love to see Lexus go the Tesla route and introduced at least on new all electric plug in vehicle that updates can be sent to over the air as new technology is introduced.