Should the Original Lexus RX 300 be Considered a Classic Car?

Should the original Lexus RX be considered a classic car?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • This is crazy.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-05-14-lexus-rx-300-1999-classic-car-400x200.jpg

The first-generation RX as a classic car is a stretch in the traditional sense, but Elizabeth Sobieski from The Huffington Post makes a compelling argument.
View the original article post

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well, guys, I might (?) take some heat for this, especially since this is a Lexus Forum, but I'm going to vote no....or at least a marginal yes at the most. That's NOT because there's anything wrong with the original RX itself...it was indeed a well-built, comfortable, reliable, mid-size, car-based luxury SUV that sold extremely well. And, yes, it did start somewhat of a trend in upmarket/luxury-grade car-based SUVs. But, mechanically and design-wise, I don't see where it can be considered a classic. Despite its copycat competitors, it did not, IMO, really start a revolution in SUV design, since the Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, and Subaru Outback/Forester had already been in production several years before. These Toyota/Honda/Subaru products had introduced and perfected the idea of the unibody, car-based, AWD SUV/Wagon several years before the first RX hit the market. (and, of course, the true original idea of the AWD car-based wagon goes back to the 1980 AMC Eagle and Audi Quattro wagons). The RX was probably the first to expand upon the basic idea of the car-based CUV and turn it into a premium, upmarket product that made it virtually as comfortable to drive as a luxury-grade sedan.....so in that sense, it did contribute something to automotive history. But, IMO, not quite to the point of labeling it a "Classic".

Last edited:

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Absolutely not a classic. I don't think many people out there will ever care to garage queen an old restored RX to show off on sunny weekends. It has a special place in automotive history as a the first stylish minivan replacement for wealthy soccer moms - but so do Pontiac Aztek and Acura ZDX for being biblically ugly. However it takes a lot more to become a classic.

Reactions
I agree with the last 2 comments. This shouldn't be a classic car. The market was bound to change and Lexus just capitalized on it. Would they give the RAV4 classic car status because Toyota was the first to created a subcompact crossover?

You know what would be the perfect classic car. The LS 400. The LS has redefine the luxury segment and and excel Lexus to become the best Luxury brand. The LS made the impossible, possible.

RAL

Reactions
Absolutely not a classic. I don't think many people out there will ever care to garage queen an old restored RX to show off on sunny weekends. It has a special place in automotive history as a the first stylish minivan replacement for wealthy soccer moms - but so do Pontiac Aztek and Acura ZDX for being biblically ugly. However it takes a lot more to become a classic.
minivan replacement . . . Pontiac Aztek . . . biblically ugly . . . hmmm

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I agree with the last 2 comments. This shouldn't be a classic car. The market was bound to change and Lexus just capitalized on it. Would they give the RAV4 classic car status because Toyota was the first to created a subcompact crossover?

You know what would be the perfect classic car. The LS 400. The LS has redefine the luxury segment and and excel Lexus to become the best Luxury brand. The LS made the impossible, possible.

First LS and first SC, hell yeah. Another 20 years from now and one of those in mint condition will turn a lot of heads.

PaulA

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not sure what definition of classic your intending. If you use the cars that are featured on the TV show "Chasing Classic Cars", then my opinion would be no. First, the RX has only been on the market for approximately 14-15 model years. Using that as a "Classic Car" definition, what about the Land Rover or Range Rovers as classic cars?

One of the movements within our Lexus community is to refer to 1989 - 1999 as "Legacy" models. I understand the feelings behind this and there have been some excellent cars that have made Lexus one of the most reliable automobiles all around the world.

However, I own a 2013 RX 350, and I think of it as a CUV that created a whole new market and continues to be a Lexus no. 1 seller. I think calling th RX a classic in my mind a car that was famous but I think it would need some more aging to be a Classic.

Reactions
Significant, definitely yes, especially for the Lexus brand. But in the car industry, there are a lot of other cars that I'd call classic first before the RX (Had one in the family).

mikeavelli

Reactions
Significant, definitely yes, especially for the Lexus brand. But in the car industry, there are a lot of other cars that I'd call classic first before the RX (Had one in the family).

While I agree with this line of thinking today, maybe 20-30 years ago we will see classics differently considering how popular SUVs are today and by then how familiar we will be with them. That said I do agree it will be tough but I do believe SUvs like original Jeeps, Bronco's and the original Land Cruisers are considered classics.

Reactions
While I agree with this line of thinking today, maybe 20-30 years ago we will see classics differently considering how popular SUVs are today and by then how familiar we will be with them. That said I do agree it will be tough but I do believe SUvs like original Jeeps, Bronco's and the original Land Cruisers are considered classics.
Definitely, timing is another thing. Because there are still many RXs on the road, and with the line moving on to the 4th generation, it would take awhile to reach such status. OTOH, many of the early Japanese cars have appreciated, such as LCs and various Datsun Zs and 510s, who woulda thunk years ago a 2000GT would be worth 6 figures.

Reactions: RAL

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Despite its copycat competitors, it did not, IMO, really start a revolution in SUV design, since the Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, and Subaru Outback/Forester had already been in production several years before. These Toyota/Honda/Subaru products had introduced and perfected the idea of the unibody, car-based, AWD SUV/Wagon several years before the first RX hit the market.

I went with the "classic car" phrasing due to the article, but I think a more accurate description would be influential. I have to think that any vehicle that creates an entire segment should be considered influential.

I don't think many people out there will ever care to garage queen an old restored RX to show off on sunny weekends.

I was about to object, but then I remembered that I run a Lexus website. Fair point. :oops:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah good point krew. If you were to use the word influential instead, then I would definitely agree that the 1st gen RX300 was and is an influential model.