Dan Neil Reviews the 2015 Lexus RC 350 F SPORT

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-05-05-lexus-rc-350-f-sport-dan-neil-400x200.jpg

Dan Neil of the Wall Street Journal chooses style over substance in his review of the 2014 Lexus RC 350 F SPORT.
View the original article post

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not sure if anyone here are also FB friends with Dan but I do recall the picture he posted of the rear strakes and the sh*t storm that followed. I posted that it wasn't that bad and many luxury cars have fake styling features but it fell on deaf ears. You know of course when Lexus does it, it for some reason is the worst thing in the world. Not sure what the RC did to him personally but seems he just nitpicked it for styling he didn't like and it was downhill from there. Sounds like the Clarkson review.

Looking at sales thus far, the RC is doing well with 20% of the market already even with all the bashing the car is getting. You would think its a Yugo the way some reviewers are "reviewing". I honestly don't get all the hate for the car.

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
While I can't say that the rear strakes are my favorite feature of the RC, together as a whole the car looks effing fantastic. Everything works together well. He should have gotten a press car in another color, such as Infrared or USB, so the strakes didn't grab so much attention.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
He's got absolutely ridiculous writing style, I just couldn't read through the whole article.

That being said, I could complain about RC350's drivetrain, but I have no issue with its styling, in fact I think its absolutely amazing. So what if it has fake evacuators, they add to the styling and that's what matters. The new X5 for instance has fake evacuators right on the front fended, M5 has fake engine noise pumped through speakers, so what? It's not 1975 anymore.

mikeavelli

Reactions
He's got absolutely ridiculous writing style, I just couldn't read through the whole article.

That being said, I could complain about RC350's drivetrain, but I have no issue with its styling, in fact I think its absolutely amazing. So what if it has fake evacuators, they add to the styling and that's what matters. The new X5 for instance has fake evacuators right on the front fended, M5 has fake engine noise pumped through speakers, so what? It's not 1975 anymore.

Och, exactly...I certainly hope he is fair and calls out all cars for fake styling additions or even noise as you mentioned. Seems if Lexus does it, one must try to incite an internet riot lol. :D

Reactions: CIF
Reactions
He makes some good points about the stance and manufacturing process. Fortunately I think these issues will be addressed by the new TNGA platform. Unfortunately the RC models will probably not be updated to this new structure until the next major refresh in 5-7 years.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
Not sure if anyone here are also FB friends with Dan but I do recall the picture he posted of the rear strakes and the sh*t storm that followed. I posted that it wasn't that bad and many luxury cars have fake styling features but it fell on deaf ears. You know of course when Lexus does it, it for some reason is the worst thing in the world. Not sure what the RC did to him personally but seems he just nitpicked it for styling he didn't like and it was downhill from there. Sounds like the Clarkson review.

Looking at sales thus far, the RC is doing well with 20% of the market already even with all the bashing the car is getting. You would think its a Yugo the way some reviewers are "reviewing". I honestly don't get all the hate for the car.
I was in that Facebook conversation! Haha Back in the days, there was not a lot to enjoy in regards to automotive materials, so I was often very excited by Mr. Neil's Wednesday Highway I articles in the LA Times. Then, he moved to WSJ, and I soon realized how relieved I was to stop reading his Lexus bashing. I could not believe how excited I got from seeing his picture and automotive article featured at the LA Times headquarters, and I later understood that I was just excited about anything car-related or Lexus-related.

Then, the internet took his place, and reading the usual car magazines was not much fun either. It is one thing to have an opinion, but it is another to selfishly complain about everything with bias. Jeremy Clarkson's articles would praise a Lexus if he honestly enjoyed something; sometimes, he would compliment with a sarcastic complaint, at least. Anyway, things are a little different nowadays, and I am just thankful that I canceled my WSJ subscription and all of its biases in just about every category. Car-loving has returned to this world, and I can certainly thank Top Gear and Disney Pixar for that!

What is the point I am trying to make here? Mmm... A non-F V8 RC would be nice! Sometimes, I just want the good ol' cushy Lexus with ample power.