Apple CarPlay Added to Lexus LS Sedan, LC Coupe, RC Coupe, and NX Crossover

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Apple CarPlay Added to Lexus LS Sedan, LC Coupe, RC Coupe, and NX Crossover

18-11-05-lexus-carplay-new-models.jpg

Only available on vehicles built after October 2018.
View the original article post

Last edited:
Reactions
We are heading into 2019, this step is a little late. Especially when you can purchase entry level sedans that already have these features. Being a premium brand means you need to include features that make you premium!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
This is either incompetence, or bad business practice. Biggest BS I've ever heard from this company.

Have to agree. Perhaps the worst part is that dealerships in the USA didn't have the proper information and have been telling owners that CarPlay would be an available upgrade.

Fingers crossed this is a big mixup.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
There's not a corresponding major hardware or software change that I can see, so this ought to be a firmware update for at least the '18 LS. I'd even be OK with paying a small upgrade fee (like $25 or something) to make it worth the dealer's while.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Spoiler: I've been driving a Chevy Colorado for 2 weeks and it has CarPlay... there are some nice features, and some that are completely infuriating. I've always said that I don't think it's as big of a deal as the media makes it out to be, but nice to see Lexus at parity regardless.

Since CarPlay mirrors whats on your phone, if you are playing music but try to open news, facebook, etc. the screen changes and exits out of music... when you wanted to still listen to music but just read a story or fb post. Same for messages. The functionality for replying to texts via voice is great, but that's the only thing I really like.

They're basic and devoid of some features, but quite frankly, what I love about Entune and the Lexus' interface is that they're so easy to use. Some people don't like the RTI, but the overall experience is easy and uncomplicated. CarPlay has a lot of annoying rules.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Spoiler: I've been driving a Chevy Colorado for 2 weeks and it has CarPlay... there are some nice features, and some that are completely infuriating. I've always said that I don't think it's as big of a deal as the media makes it out to be, but nice to see Lexus at parity regardless.

I think most people want CarPlay/Android Auto in order to have Waze up on the screen; Lincoln is pushing that angle extremely hard in current US TV commercials.

Maps are about the only thing I like about CarPlay, other than the promise of future integration and parity. I barely use my car's infotainment as is, to be honest.

wyvern

Fan
Reactions
From what I've read about the new Mazda program to retrofit carplay/aa onto older models, its more than simply a software update. They're charging 500 dollars down here in Aus to retrofit carplay/aa because apparently the head unit has to be taken out and new hardware put into it.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Since CarPlay mirrors whats on your phone, if you are playing music but try to open news, facebook, etc. the screen changes and exits out of music... when you wanted to still listen to music but just read a story or fb post. Same for messages. The functionality for replying to texts via voice is great, but that's the only thing I really like.

They're basic and devoid of some features, but quite frankly, what I love about Entune and the Lexus' interface is that they're so easy to use. Some people don't like the RTI, but the overall experience is easy and uncomplicated. CarPlay has a lot of annoying rules.

lol, i cant believe it is not better than just screen mirroring? So basically they have special views that make it fit car screen but it wont stay on screen when you do something else with phone? That is really a big problem.

Thing is, you wont find this on media, and hence everyone wants it but likely wont end up using it... it is a big bonus for people not having a nav.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
From what I've read about the new Mazda program to retrofit carplay/aa onto older models, its more than simply a software update. They're charging 500 dollars down here in Aus to retrofit carplay/aa because apparently the head unit has to be taken out and new hardware put into it.

With Mazda, I believe they promised CP/AA for models a few years back.

I don't think Toyota promised anything for MY 2018 and prior. I'm not saying Toyota is doing the right thing but it didn't promise anything so buyers who wanted CP should have confirmed with head office about upgrade-ability or waited until actual specs are announced though it's odd that Toyota is offering this only on 2019 MY produced from October onwards.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
There's not a corresponding major hardware or software change that I can see, so this ought to be a firmware update for at least the '18 LS. I'd even be OK with paying a small upgrade fee (like $25 or something) to make it worth the dealer's while.

As an LS owner, how does this move make you feel? Are you disappointed in the decision, or does it not really matter to you?

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@krew Hello Sir how are you? I'm not a LS500 owner yet. I will be ordering mine next month Sir and taking delivery in the Spring Time. This will not under no certain terms keep me from buying the car nor make me feel my descions to own an LS. This is destiny that i'm fulling for my mother and myself. The problem i have is i think the auto mags are on a total witch hunt when it comes to lexus in general and i think the writings and articles are not fairly written. yes we all know the touch pad interace was probably a bad idea.. ok then if dont like it dont by it.. they complain that the TTV6 isn't a good as the old v8.. well it is by every measure. I even seen your write up when you wrote about the 5LS and you clearly called it out and I will try to quote "I don't see peoples why people need a v8" its insance how much bad press this car has recieved and the ES350 is getting glaring reviews. I just dont understand this at all.

R,

Markus

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
As an LS owner, how does this move make you feel? Are you disappointed in the decision, or does it not really matter to you?

As an LS owner it doesn't matter to me that much; I'm lucky enough that I don't need electronic assistance on my commute, and I knew going in that there was a good chance CP would arrive later. (I also knew I was violating the Prime Directive of car buying: never pick up the first year of a major refresh). But wearing my software engineer hat the appearance that it should be just a firmware update and it's not annoys me greatly.

And @Berto3818, you're getting a 2019 so it shouldn't matter for you :)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

I know that for siri support, they actually had to add some certified usb hardware in order for it to work... so i am also sure that they had to update inputs at least for CarPlay to work.

We will be able to see what changed in repair manuals I guess, when they come out for 2019.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I even seen your write up when you wrote about the 5LS and you clearly called it out and I will try to quote "I don't see peoples why people need a v8" its insance how much bad press this car has recieved and the ES350 is getting glaring reviews. I just dont understand this at all.

There are things wrong with the new LS, but I don't think the TTV6 is one of them.

As an LS owner it doesn't matter to me that much; I'm lucky enough that I don't need electronic assistance on my commute, and I knew going in that there was a good chance CP would arrive later. (I also knew I was violating the Prime Directive of car buying: never pick up the first year of a major refresh). But wearing my software engineer hat the appearance that it should be just a firmware update and it's not annoys me greatly.

Just the kind of answer I would expect from a software engineer. :joy: ;)