krew

TRD Japan Releases Body Kit for 2019 Lexus ES F SPORT
18-10-24-lexus-es-trd-body-kit.jpg

View the original article post

mwyf

Founding Member
Reactions
2 things:
  1. Given Lexus' desire to not be perceived as expensive Toyotas but as a separate entity, I question the decision to market bodykits for Lexus vehicles with the TRD brand. It would make sense if Lexus didn't have the F marque. But now that F is in its tenth year, more needs to be done to raise its profile. It would be exciting to see a range of F-parts rolled out around the world. It would be an important step, I think, given Lexus is now injecting more style and sportiness to their cars to attract a younger customer demographic. Offering F-parts aligns with that.
  2. While it's great seeing Toyota/Lexus investing in bodykits, no justice is done to these aero-parts if there is no performance boost. Again, now that F has become more established, it's probably time to offering power-bumped variants to give the Teutonic sisters a run for their money. Mercedes is would only gain more traction with its expanded AMG range. Lexus, what with its marketing speak about making cars 'fun to drive', should start heading in that direction.
I do, however, recognise that there might not be a strong business case to either of these propositions.

Mr1956T

Fan
Reactions
F-Sport could become such a powerful sub-brand. TRD belongs to Toyota. F-Sport to Lexus.
From my experience, I would say there is a very strong business case to be made. It would reach out to those who have dismissed Lexus as 'not for me' without alienating the existing very valuable customer base.

LexiF

Fan
Reactions
2 things:
  1. Given Lexus' desire to not be perceived as expensive Toyotas but as a separate entity, I question the decision to market bodykits for Lexus vehicles with the TRD brand. It would make sense if Lexus didn't have the F marque. But now that F is in its tenth year, more needs to be done to raise its profile. It would be exciting to see a range of F-parts rolled out around the world. It would be an important step, I think, given Lexus is now injecting more style and sportiness to their cars to attract a younger customer demographic. Offering F-parts aligns with that.
  2. While it's great seeing Toyota/Lexus investing in bodykits, no justice is done to these aero-parts if there is no performance boost. Again, now that F has become more established, it's probably time to offering power-bumped variants to give the Teutonic sisters a run for their money. Mercedes is would only gain more traction with its expanded AMG range. Lexus, what with its marketing speak about making cars 'fun to drive', should start heading in that direction.
I do, however, recognise that there might not be a strong business case to either of these propositions.

I’m in complete agreement with you! Toyota bodykits on a Lexus? Seriously? Yes we should have styling options and yes market them for aero dynamic boosts like the competition even if it’s a 0.01 drag improvement but market it with F styling. We really should be seeing more options for better aero dynamics by now IF Lexus wants to compete with sport appeal for a younger audience we keep hearing. Nobody will take it seriously if it’s using and marketing Toyota bodykits...for instance would people rave about an Audi A6 S-line with a VW GTI bodykit? Goodness no because of the divide cemented between VW and Audi people tend to perceive Audi as a separate company and are horrified when you explain how they actually are not. For Lexus to move further apart from the stereotype (expensive Toyota) it needs stronger advertisement to address this and more emphasis on the F marquee. It’s frustrating to know how much more successful Lexus could be if they really tried.

mwyf

Founding Member
Reactions
I’m in complete agreement with you! Toyota bodykits on a Lexus? Seriously? Yes we should have styling options and yes market them for aero dynamic boosts like the competition even if it’s a 0.01 drag improvement but market it with F styling. We really should be seeing more options for better aero dynamics by now IF Lexus wants to compete with sport appeal for a younger audience we keep hearing. Nobody will take it seriously if it’s using and marketing Toyota bodykits...for instance would people rave about an Audi A6 S-line with a VW GTI bodykit? Goodness no because of the divide cemented between VW and Audi people tend to perceive Audi as a separate company and are horrified when you explain how they actually are not. For Lexus to move further apart from the stereotype (expensive Toyota) it needs stronger advertisement to address this and more emphasis on the F marquee. It’s frustrating to know how much more successful Lexus could be if they really tried.
Well said.
I also think that the tacked on aero kits, whether supplied by TRD or Modellista or whomever else, make Lexus models look a bit boy racer-ish. Not saying they look bad, but the look simply doesn't line up very well with the image of sophistication that Lexus tries so hard to sell. If Lexus wants to make their cars a little more aerodynamic, or feel a little more rigid, or just to look cool in general, they should invest a little more in R&D and offer styling packages/mechanical packages with the aero bits integrated into the body, rather than offering aftermarket trinkets.

Reactions: RAL

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It is a very JDM thing, putting crazy ugly body kits on everything. People think it's cool and pay for them. No need to worry about Lexus getting ruined in the rest of the world. No need for over reaction.

mikeavelli

Reactions
2 things:

Point well taken. It is a bit confusing right now with TRD, Gazoo, F, etc all still operating. Toyota is putting a lot of investment in TRD but I agree it would seem to better rebrand it F or something else. That said it must be changing as the front plate says "F Sport Parts" something I don't recall before. I believe they will be re-branded then. There is a lot going on the back end with offering more customization etc.

Tom's Racing actually offers a small bump for the LS 500, 19hp and like 44lbs of torque with a power adder, its plug and play. But we need more!!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Tom's Racing actually offers a small bump for the LS 500, 19hp and like 44lbs of torque with a power adder, its plug and play. But we need more!!
435hp and 486lb-ft of torque is a pretty healthy bump. Wish Lexus would give the LS F Sport a tune like this as standard.