Android Auto Coming to Lexus Vehicles

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I had said this on another forum, as this affects development of the 550B Highlander and got someone to spill on the future of Toyota trucks. The 2020 Highlander might not get it until MY 2021 in late 2020, as that launches in January or early February of 2020. It will only have Apple Carplay.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Good news. I think the omission of CarPlay and Android Auto was costing them sales, so I'm glad to see they'll be at parity soon.

Reactions
With the near future addition of Android Auto Toyota will be eliminating Entune/Entune 3.0. I wonder if Lexus will follow suit and eliminate the Enform app suite as well?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
With the near future addition of Android Auto Toyota will be eliminating Entune/Entune 3.0. I wonder if Lexus will follow suit and eliminate the Enform app suite as well?

urgh, no they wont eliminate Entune.

Android Auto and CarPlay are on the top of Entune 3.0 system.

Many phones do not support Android Auto and Car Play... in fact vast majority of Android phones do not support Android Auto. So systems like Entune will be there always in the background, even in 30 years from now.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota has announced that they are terminating support for several Entune apps/functionalities starting in November. It is assumed that as they gear up for CarPlay/Android Auto across the lineup, developers have probably stopped supporting Entune.

Here is the email that was sent last week:

Dear Toyota Owner,

Thank you for being a Toyota Entune™ App Suite customer.

As technology and markets change, third-party application providers continuously evolve their products and services. On November 13th, 2018, a multimedia system update will appear on your vehicle display. After completion, Pandora®, OpenTable®, and Facebook Places will no longer be available in Entune™ App Suite, as these products and services will no longer be supported by the third-party application providers.

In your Toyota, you can still enjoy Pandora and other popular music applications via Bluetooth or USB connection. For your device's compatibility and pairing instruction, please visit Toyota.com/entune.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331 Monday - Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, or Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.

Sincerely,

Toyota Entune Customer Support

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota has announced that they are terminating support for several Entune apps/functionalities starting in November. It is assumed that as they gear up for CarPlay/Android Auto across the lineup, developers have probably stopped supporting Entune.

thing is that you can access better version of these apps through your phone, so it never actually made much sense. I would think their devs also found it straining to support these separate clients with small usage base.

In any case, Android Auto support is pretty bad right now, most phones wont run it.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I had said this on another forum, as this affects development of the 550B Highlander and got someone to spill on the future of Toyota trucks. The 2020 Highlander might not get it until MY 2021 in late 2020, as that launches in January or early February of 2020. It will only have Apple Carplay.

This is just a display, correct? Or does CarPlay or Android Auto somehow tie in with Lexus Safety System (e.g. self driving) ? How hard is it to put the updated system in a vehicle?

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
thing is that you can access better version of these apps through your phone, so it never actually made much sense. I would think their devs also found it straining to support these separate clients with small usage base.

In any case, Android Auto support is pretty bad right now, most phones wont run it.

I agree with this. I think Toyota is removing them not because Android Auto is coming (I believe Android Auto doesn't even allow you to use Facebook Places or OpenTable.) but because of the small usage base. There is no point in keeping these apps if barely anyone uses it.

This is just a display, correct? Or does CarPlay or Android Auto somehow tie in with Lexus Safety System (e.g. self driving) ? How hard is it to put the updated system in a vehicle?

Apple Car Play and Android has always been a mirroring service. All it does is copies specific apps on your phone to the infotainment screen. With cars owners keeping their cars less and less, Apple Car Play and Android Auto, in my opinion, are nice options but not mandatory. Most car infotainment system will sustain you for at least 3-4 years.

Reactions
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know you can add both CarPlay and Android Auto support to various Lexus cars from model year
2013-2020.

Here is a demonstration video:

Here is a list of cars it supports
2014-2017 Lexus CT 200h with Factory Navigation
2013-2014 Lexus GS 350 / 450h with or without Factory Navigation.
2015-2017 Lexus GS 200t / 350 / 450h / GS F with or without Factory Navigation
2018-2020 Lexus GS 300 / 350 / 450h / GS F with or without Factory Navigation
2013-2017 Lexus LS 460 / 600h L with Factory Navigation
2013-2019 Lexus RX 350 / 450h with Factory Navigation
2013-2018 Lexus ES 350 / 300h with Factory Navigation
2014-2016 Lexus IS 250 / 200t / 300 / 350 / with Factory Navigation
2015-2017 Lexus RC 200t / 300 / 350 / RC F with Factory Navigation
2015-2017 Lexus NX 200t / 300h with Factory Navigation
2013-2017 Lexus LS 460 / 600h L with Factory Navigation
2016-2020 Lexus LX 570 with or without Factory Navigation

You purchase it here
www.crutchfield.com

CRUX ACPLX-12Z Wiring Interface Connect smartphones and add aftermarket cameras to the factory radio in select 2013-up Lexus vehicles at Crutchfield
FREE 2-day Shipping: Use your phone in your Lexus Crux's ACPLX-12Z wiring interface lets you connect your smartphones to the factory radio in select
www.crutchfield.com
www.crutchfield.com
Here is an install video for a 2017 RX350

Here is their Youtube channel on how to install various devices in Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, & other vehicles
www.youtube.com

Crux Interfacing Solutions
CRUX Interfacing Solutions - Seamless Car Media Integration Specializing in automotive OEM integration for the digital era, CRUX Interfacing Solutions provid...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com