Reactions
krew

Introducing the Updated 2019 Lexus RC Coupe
18-08-29-lexus-rc-2019-f-sport.jpg

Mid-cycle refresh coming up.
View the original article post

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I'm pleasantly surprised that they released it this early. I thought we wouldn't see it until the Paris Motor Show press conferences on October 2.

I like it. This is the rare midlife facelift that improves upon the original, instead of just being change for change's sake. Very curious to see how that Blue Vortex Metallic looks in person, and how it compares to the 2 versions of Ultrasonic Blue.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I like the changes. All changes are very positive. Lexus really got the styling right. Glad they got rid of those fake vents on the rear. Interesting to see if they are getting significantly more power out of the RC350 or not? I am really looking forward to seeing the updated RCF. That will be interesting.

Also, I hope that can address the atrociously painful front fender gap on the AWD RC350.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I really like the headlights. They are inspired by the LC headlights. The new RCF mule was sporting the same headlights. My RCF has the older style, but I like the new one's too. Not sure which one will age better.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
Very tempting. Should I wait for the newer IS or get this RC? My 2010 IS350 is long in the tooth and I need(want) a new ride soon.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
A good mid-cycle update, may I say as an RC owner.
The daylights are a bit small, too short, resembling a V instead of an L-shape.
But the grille front looks better.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Herewith some other pictures, taken from the Lexus Europe newsroom. This is the luxury version. Note the previous series' F Sport wheels painted in silver and the standard grille in LC-style. This restyling clearly positions the RC as a 'baby-LC'.

800_xxxb-pml-e4-01-wp001.jpg

800_rcp6096.jpg

800_rcp0503.jpg

800_xxxb-pml-n1-01-wp001.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
nice upgrade... Euro press release mentions how 2.0t has been upgraded to deliver sharper throttle response.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Herewith some other pictures, taken from the Lexus Europe newsroom. This is the luxury version. Note the previous series' F Sport wheels painted in silver and the standard grille in LC-style. This restyling clearly positions the RC as a 'baby-LC'.

800_rcp0503.jpg

]
I was liking this refresh a lot until I saw this lumpy, convoluted back end. What a mess!

Reactions: Den

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I like the changes. All changes are very positive. Lexus really got the styling right. Glad they got rid of those fake vents on the rear. Interesting to see if they are getting significantly more power out of the RC350 or not? I am really looking forward to seeing the updated RCF. That will be interesting.

Also, I hope that can address the atrociously painful front fender gap on the AWD RC350.

how would they get significantly more power than 350? I dont think there are any power changes, but there might be changes in throttle response and similar.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Updated the original post with photos of the standard RC refresh.

Reactions: Joe

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Front end of the F Sport model is a disaster, but the standard car looks nicer and far more mature, IMO. Power upgrades would be nice - and are badly needed - but I doubt they're coming. Interior updates also look nice.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Front end of the F Sport model is a disaster, but the standard car looks nicer and far more mature, IMO.
I wouldn't go as far as calling the new RC F Sport grille a disaster, but this is the rare Lexus model whose standard grille looks better than its F Sport counterpart. I'm pleasantly surprised.

As to the new headlights, they're also a marked improvement. I've always hated for the "Nike swoosh" daytime running lights to be a separate floating element (as on the current IS). I much prefer to have them as a single unit, as on this RC facelift and the UX. Glad to see Lexus moving in this direction.

Reactions
I am curious about the new driving dynamics with the bushing and shock change on the RC 350 as that's one area I feel my 2017 could be improved (other than the tech of course).
The rest of this refresh I can do without (though I kind of like the mirrors). The back end is now a mess (why must lexus always have some drooping point on the tail lights?). I I don't feel the headlights are LC inspired at all. I think they look terrible. I really liked the DRLs being separate from the main headlight! It was very distinctive. Anyway, I will not be getting this RC when my lease is up. I'll probably buy mine as I have been pretty happy with it, and think it looks MUCH better than this update.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wouldn't go as far as calling the new RC F Sport grille a disaster, but this is the rare Lexus model whose standard grille looks better than its F Sport counterpart. I'm pleasantly surprised.

As to the new headlights, they're also a marked improvement. I've always hated for the "Nike swoosh" daytime running lights to be a separate floating element (as on the current IS). I much prefer to have them as a single unit, as on this RC facelift and the UX. Glad to see Lexus moving in this direction.

Unfortunately, it's not just the grille. Look at the number of hard lines, textures and materials just in this section alone:

40374880_10104586760023167_7197420454204669952_n.jpg

Every single part of the front end is unnecessarily busy and overstyled. The mesh in the grill should just go all the way across without stopping to give the appearance of air inlets - it makes no aerodynamic difference. Partial mesh in the center portion with horizontal bars on the sides - which don't seem to be functional? The lip under the grill folds under, creating yet another line. Headlights have three distinct elements - LED check, small LEDs for turn signals and stacked LED projectors for high/low beams. One or two "busy" elements is cool and creates a focal point, but with this, I literally don't know where to look first.

christian-ziegler-praying-mantis-barro-colorado-island-panama.jpg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think the front end will "simplify" in lighter colors; the RC's IMO always looked better in light colors, much as the LS looks better in dark ones. Overall I like it; it creates a visual lineage with the LC (and to a lesser extent the ES and LS), which is exactly what they needed to do. Now bring on the LC C and LC F to top off the coupe line!

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Not a fan of neither headlights or taillights. I don't think they flow right like the previous. That V drl strip is at some weird angle that doesn't stack right with angle of LED clusters. Bottom addition to tails is very unnecessary and looks like an afterthought in design process, kind of like we are going to make these trendy, smooth and skinny taillights.. oh damn it we forgot to add turn signal light!